Mounting motor to HW19's sub-plinth

Mounting motor to HW19's sub-plinth

Postby farmstar72 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:16 pm

I can't find it now, but I thought I read here that Harry endorsed attaching the motor directly to the underside of an HW19's sub-plinth. He sited the fact that that is how it is mounted to the Classic.
I am contemplating doing this with my MK4 with Classic platter - any thought?

Thanks,
Scott
farmstar72

Re: Mounting motor to HW19's sub-plinth

Postby Brf » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:50 pm

There are trade offs. Currently, the motor is decoupled from the platter which will helps with noise reduction. On the plus side, it is always good to have the drive and platter fixed on the same rigid plane which helps with the transfer of power.

If you want to go with the Classic table approach, you would need to purchase a Classic motor which allows for the motor to be secured to the underside of the plinth. You would also use the existing motor plinth hole. When ordering a replacement motor, you will need to specify your platter size to ensue that you get the correct pulley.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby farmstar72 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I currently have a Scout 600rpm motor with the correct pulley for my 12" Classic platter. Since the mounting holes didn't line up with the originals - and I didn't want to drill new holes - I attached it to the underside of the original HW19 motor plate with double sided/padded tape. A problem presented itself now that the pulley doesn't sit high enough for me to use the 45rpm position. That got my wheels turning that if I used double sided/padded tape to attach the motor directly to the underside of the sub-plinth, the pulley should then sit high enough.
So, that just leaves the question of whether the direct mount would transfer vibration through to the stylus. I guess I could just try it and see.
farmstar72

Postby Harry » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:35 am

Double sided padded tape does a good job of isolation. I would try it and let us know how you made out.

HW
Harry
Admin

Return to Harry's Corner