Vas Nova/HW reviews and comparison

Re: Vas Nova/HW reviews and comparison

Postby tom collins » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:24 pm

That is all that matters. Very subjective hobby. I personally don't care for the SS, but you should keep and love your SS and forget about switching to a different cart.
Merry Christmas.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby gene9p » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:08 am

MERRY CHRISTMAS HARRY...and everybody here at the VPI forums
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Harry » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:18 am

Contrary to all the BS by cartridge makers this is still a matching business and the total of the errors in the system have to be pleasing to you. The SS in your system is doing the job, can't argue with that, Peter makes an excellent cartridge that has served me very well at many shows.
In the end it has to match your system and your taste and your record collections. If you love the conductors on Columbia or the artists on Columbia you have an issue and the issue is upper midrange glare that can only be controlled by an equalization curve change or a cartridge that is very smooth in the upper midrange. The Nova is the first cartridge I have owned besides my Shure Ultra 500 that can play Columbia classical with the sound of an orchestra in a hall. Period.

BTW, this goes for most classical or acoustic instrument recordings. I love the sound of M and K direct to disc recordings with the Audio Technica Art-1000 or the Art-9 but I expect them to blow me away and be fast clean and in my face. The Pines of Rome should sound like a concert hall!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby VinBob » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Lewisranchmike wrote:
mreeter wrote:
Dorian wrote:Thanks Harry. I do have the arm up a touch at the rear; had it there for the MIMC and actually brought it down a little for the Nova but its still above parallel. Precise alignment was achieved using a SMARTractor and Adjust+ for azimuth+.

Both you and Jonathanb recommended to adjust the loading. I had been running the Herron unloaded, per Keith Herron's advice. But today I first tried 500 ohms and then 1000. Made a significant improvement to the sound, especially the 1000. Really opened it up, without losing the warmth and smoothness of the bass and midrange. Definitely no etch or harshness at all. Really sounds great now! I borrowed this Nova from Jonathan but I may have to convince him to sell it to me, as the more I listen the more I like it!

After reading HW's recommendations and your results, I've loaded my Nova to 1000 ohms...OMG :shock: , the improvements are amazing to say the least.

Thankful for the information, advice and people of this Forum :)

I initially started at 500ohm and made move to 1000ohm. +1

Mike in Austin

Hey Mike - What did you hear going from 500ohm to 1k ohm? Steve told me that 500ohm was the ideal spot for the VAS Nova but now you have me intrigued - I have the 1k option on my Sutherland 20/20 phono stage and just curious as to what to expect and whether I should make the move.

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:57 am

Hello VinBob:

For most of the time I have had it at 500 ohm and it is SPLENDID. A Couple months ago I was going back and forth between 500-1000 and my high end opened up a little. I think at this point it is more personal preference, not a major difference but I think if you experiment between the 2 you will see what I mean.

Best,

Mike
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby VinBob » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:02 pm

Lewisranchmike wrote:Hello VinBob:

For most of the time I have had it at 500 ohm and it is SPLENDID. A Couple months ago I was going back and forth between 500-1000 and my high end opened up a little. I think at this point it is more personal preference, not a major difference but I think if you experiment between the 2 you will see what I mean.

Best,

Mike

Thanks Mike - I'll look to give that a try over the weekend unless my nasty cold take a turn for the worse... :(

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner