Vas Nova/HW reviews and comparison

Vas Nova/HW reviews and comparison

Postby aztwang » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:51 pm

So now that many have had a chance to play with their Steve/Harry Vas Nova carts lets hear some reviews and
comparison to other carts you have used in the recent past!!
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP-- EL34- Marantz TT15-S1-- Sumiko Blackbird
Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono stage-- Blue Jeans Interconnects & Blue Jeans Speaker cable--
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Re: Vas Nova/HW reviews and comparison

Postby JimmyL » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:41 pm

I'd also be interested to hear what some thought of these. I'm hoping to make a change of cartridge but don't have the budget to try a variety so I've been hoping to find a good solid choice. So far, the Soundsmith cart seems to be a very good choice but.....
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/JMW10.5i, VAS HW Nova Special 0.4mV, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL

Postby aztwang » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:11 pm

JimmyL wrote:I'd also be interested to hear what some thought of these. I'm hoping to make a change of cartridge but don't have the budget to try a variety so I've been hoping to find a good solid choice. So far, the Soundsmith cart seems to be a very good choice but.....

Jimmy,
Very true...several have posted about the Soundsmith MIMC saying they are close but the Vas may be a bit smoother, not fatiguing at all. Very anxious to hear what others say!!
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP-- EL34- Marantz TT15-S1-- Sumiko Blackbird
Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono stage-- Blue Jeans Interconnects & Blue Jeans Speaker cable--
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Postby Harry » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:29 pm

That's the big one, you cam listen for hours as there is no high frequency peak.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby stax » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:34 pm

At the same price, are there any strong preferences for the VAS Nova/HW or the S-S Zephyr MIMIC Star cartridge? I read they are both great cartridges and I'm looking at one or the other for my VPI Prime. Thank you.
stax

Postby Harry » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:02 pm

I have the MIMIC Star and the MIMIC aluminum cantilever/elliptical stylus and of course the VAS. They are all excellent and it would be hard to say one is better, they are different in presentation but you can't go wrong with any of them.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby MOON » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:06 am

Soundsmith just revamped their entire cartridge line. Have a look here.
https://www.sound-smith.com
Classic 4, 12"3d, hrx pulley, 3 belts, dual pivot, sds, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement cable, tru lift & sweep
MOON

Postby mreeter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:33 am

MOON wrote:Soundsmith just revamped their entire cartridge line. Have a look here.
https://www.sound-smith.com

In the meantime, the previous designs are being moved out at a nice discount...

http://www.elusivedisc.com/specials/0/0/
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
ModWright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby jonathanb » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Harry wrote:I have the MIMIC Star and the MIMIC aluminum cantilever/elliptical stylus and of course the VAS. They are all excellent and it would be hard to say one is better, they are different in presentation but you can't go wrong with any of them.

HW

Harry, I believe you are (possibly) the only person on the planet with an aluminum cantilever/elliptical stylus MIMC. It's good to have friends in high places!
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby Harry » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:26 pm

And it sounds amazingly good. Better than high tech cantilevers and styli on less than SOTA vinyl.

HW
Harry
Admin

Next

Return to Harry's Corner