record weight

Re: record weight

Postby Orchids1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:39 am

Achla.
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Harry » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Used the standard stainless steel weight with nothing, with three dimes, and with two dimes. Not telling the listeners in the room what happened they picked the two dimes on three records!! Have to say it works.
Will compare to Stillpoints after CAF.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Joe Pittman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:42 am

I'm not a fan of the Stillpoints LPI so I don't use it. Of the VPI clamps I like the stainless-steel clamp and have been using Gary Koh's mod for several months. I've tried several variations of spacing and different ball materials but like Gary's latest arrangement the best. I've uploaded a template on my site for those interested in Gary's design, it's pretty close dimensionaly. It doesn't have to be perfect. See http://www.kosmic.us/Clamp%20Tweak%20Template.pdf
Joe Pittman

Postby Golear » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Joe Pittman wrote:I'm not a fan of the Stillpoints LPI so I don't use it. Of the VPI clamps I like the stainless-steel clamp and have been using Gary Koh's mod for several months. I've tried several variations of spacing and different ball materials but like Gary's latest arrangement the best. I've uploaded a template on my site for those interested in Gary's design, it's pretty close dimensionaly. It doesn't have to be perfect. See http://www.kosmic.us/Clamp%20Tweak%20Template.pdf

1. Where did you get the balls from?
2. How do you attach them to the clamp?

Thanks
Golear

Postby wspohn » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Harry wrote:Many years ago a customer called Sheila and asked her what to put under his spikes on his table, she said dimes. He called back and asked which side up. He called back again and asked what is the difference between a dime and a penny, she said "Nine cents" Story told!!!!!!!

HW

The turntable probably doesn't weigh enough to cause problems. but I put Canadian pennies under the spikes under my Vandersteen 4A speakers and over a couple of years they worked all the way through the pennies and into the hardwood floor I was trying to protect. I decided t splurge and replaced them with (Canadian) nickels at five times the investment.

Interesting that the two point contact for the clamps is so different from the conventional annular contact area. Will have to experiment. We can expect some Chinese hifi geek company to start marketing pure gold (well, 22K) Krugerrands as magic clamp enhancers (they now mint a 1/10 oz. version that is about the size of a dime).
Koetsu Urushi, SME V, VPI TNT 5, SDS, Vendetta SCP-2D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Jeff Roland 5, Wilson Audio Maxx 2.
wspohn

Postby Ducky » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:10 pm

wspohn wrote:We can expect some Chinese hifi geek company to start marketing pure gold (well, 22K) Krugerrands as magic clamp enhancers (they now mint a 1/10 oz. version that is about the size of a dime).

Already done. I find it works best if I alternate the coins between maple leafs and Elizabeth facing up. No difference whether the stems point to the spindle or not.

Record Weight1.JPG
Record Weight1.JPG (135.12 KiB) Viewed 309 times

Record Weight2.JPG
Record Weight2.JPG (135.67 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Ducky

Postby Harry » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:30 am

I like the way it looks. There was an old joke about gold and audio:

"If we make the platter damping ring out of 3 pounds of gold and the price of gold goes up what do we do? Sell parts of the ring for a profit and loose some sound quality or leave it alone and possible loose money when gold goes down? The audiophile nightmare.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby wspohn » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Many years ago I had a client that owed me money and was slow paying. He ran a metal plating shop so I took him the record clamp and tower tops off an Oracle Delphi table and had him gold plate them. Actually looked rather nice (but zero sound difference). Like this one on ebay

Koetsu Urushi, SME V, VPI TNT 5, SDS, Vendetta SCP-2D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Jeff Roland 5, Wilson Audio Maxx 2.
wspohn

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner