record weight

Re: record weight

Postby Golear » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Harry wrote:I am going to try it tomorrow under controlled conditions on the new Direct Drive table and will post results. if it works I will do some high rez digital copies to make us even crazier than before. After Gary Koh's three strips of black electrical tape on the platter and the micro balls on the weight I will try anything.

BTW guys, you have to make a journey to the VPI house and hear the new 40th anniversary direct drive (forever now called 40-DD ) it will change your ideas about what is in a vinyl groove.

HW

Hi Harry

In my system, there's almost no difference in the frequency domain; the difference is in the soundstage.

I wanted post a couple more observations:

1. I tried gluing the coins to the HRX counterweight with cheap double-sided tape. Terrible! I'm back to placing them one by one.
2. I've settled on 0.26 inches (6.7 mm) as the best distance from the edge of the dimes to the spindle - the height of a stack of four Quarters. The sound does change with distance.

Oh wait, I forgot... still got to try cryo'd dimes. I suppose there are also coins from all over the world. But right now, I'm very happy with the result.
Golear

Postby Brf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:28 pm

If using dimes under the record weight produces too wide of a soundstage, you can always use Canadian dimes to reduce the soundstage by 25% ;)
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Packgrog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:31 pm

This is all basically the poor-man's attempt at the Stillpoints LPI, yes? I assume that there's some small amount of give between the 5 plates on the bottom of that weight and the main housing (ie: not tightened down too hard). So the dimes vibrating differently against the weight with differential contact points (ie: coin face vs whatever is between the plates and housing of LPI) makes sense. I still don't quite understand the electrical tape pieces on the platter, but that's a different kludge.

So given the distance and number of coins under the weight, at what point does it provide a better sound than the SS/delrin screw down clamp? Are you trying this with just the HRX weight, or are you doing it in conjunction with the ring weight? And for those that also have the Stillpoints, is there some point where you can get this hack to sound as good as the LPI? It's all academic to me due to my modest table and non-existent budget, but still interesting.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Harry » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:58 pm

I have the HR-X weight is SS and brass and also in wood and brass. I also have the Stillpoints which is amazing just very expensive. I also have Steve's VAS weight which is sunken water wood from old boats and stainless, very good sound even with the wood splitting. Basically, they all sound different and none will work in all situations and systems. I love the dimes and pennies under the weight, it is the ultimate tweek and great fun.

Many years ago a customer called Sheila and asked her what to put under his spikes on his table, she said dimes. He called back and asked which side up. He called back again and asked what is the difference between a dime and a penny, she said "Nine cents" Story told!!!!!!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Dorian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 pm

Harry wrote:Many years ago a customer called Sheila and asked her what to put under his spikes on his table, she said dimes. He called back and asked which side up. He called back again and asked what is the difference between a dime and a penny, she said "Nine cents" Story told!!!!!!!

HW

:lol: :lol:
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Mat wrote:Yeah because 40-DD is a totally appropriate name across the board :P

Than again, somehow "Fat-boy" ended up actually becoming a thing.... *sigh*

Weren't we talking about record weight?

You know it will be henceforth called the "Double D" Right? I love it..Now back to Dime Theory and Record Weights :lol:
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Golear » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:59 am

Harry wrote:...it is the ultimate tweek and great fun....

Thanks, Harry.
And thanks to Stringreen for his input and testing.
Golear

Postby Harry » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Did the test yesterday and the two dimes, heads up, wins. The big problem is remembering to remove the dimes before taking the record off. What is happening is a focused weight on two spots of the label area that is pressing down with more pressure than the overall weight does. Not sure how this helps but the difference is obvious and positive.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Harry, Which record weight did you use. If you didn’t use the Stillpoints LPI, how did your weight with the coins compare to the Stillpoints. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Stringreen » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:59 pm

re : Dime removing.......I have a very thin plastic business card that I creased on one corner for handling. I keep a blob of Blutak on the card that I use to dip my stylus in for cleaning.....the card can easily slip under the dimes for removal. Zei gazundt.
Stringreen

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner