record weight

Re: record weight

Postby Ducky » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:39 am

Golear wrote:Demagnetization: most, if not all, money is non-magnetic.

Why would that matter? There are devices to demagnetize CDs which are aluminum and polycarbonate. MF at Analog Planet reviewed a device to demagnetize vinyl LPs.

Re: Heads up vs Heads down or towards vs away from spindle, I guess that makes sense; if cables are directional, why not coinage?

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/you-can%E2%80%99t-demagnetize-vinyl-you-can-demagnetize-record%E2%80%94-furutech-demag-alpha-and-stein-de3
Ducky

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:28 am

This thread has morphed from recommended record weights to the benefits of placing coins on record weights or directly on record labels, with discussions of the types of coins used, where the coins should be placed on the weight or label, and whether the coins should be set heads up or down. At first, I thought this was intended as a joke, but I guess not, unless this is an instance of very dry wit. How the minuscule weight of the coins or the placement of the coins heads up or down can produce a sonic difference is baffling. Locating the coins close to the spindle might possibly have a small effect on mechanical table vibrations, but I doubt it. If Synergystic marketed its own coins in nifty packaging, the snake oil criticisms would be deafening. I don’t think even Synergistic would have the audacity to try. Nonetheless, the thread is fascinating, along the same lines as the thread discussing the benefits of placing strips of various types of tapes on a table platter. I’ll follow both threads, and if enough people believe the coins and tapes are beneficial, I may step in for Synergystic and market them over the internet. I’ve become almost immune to criticism, especially when the costs are negligible and the margins huge. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Golear » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:34 pm

Ducky wrote:
Golear wrote:Demagnetization: most, if not all, money is non-magnetic.

Why would that matter? There are devices to demagnetize CDs which are aluminum and polycarbonate. MF at Analog Planet reviewed a device to demagnetize vinyl LPs.

Re: Heads up vs Heads down or towards vs away from spindle, I guess that makes sense; if cables are directional, why not coinage?

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/you-can%E2%80%99t-demagnetize-vinyl-you-can-demagnetize-record%E2%80%94-furutech-demag-alpha-and-stein-de3

I was replying to Letsmakeadeal about demagnetization. I think LP demag needs its own thread. Sounds interesting.

As for Heads up vs Heads down, my theory is that the coins have very asymmetrical surfaces, so the way they vibrate will be affected by how they are placed on the LP, and how they contact the HRX centerweight. What's the source of the vibration? I think it's the LP itself. You can play an LP, turn the volume down to zero then bring your ear to the cartridge and hear the stylus playing in the groove. But I'm just guessing ...and it's totally irrelevant.

I'd like to make a wider observation here. WHY something might work/not work is not central to WHETHER it works/not work. As Stringreen noted, a lot may depend on individual systems, too. Sharing experiences, trying stuff out then adopting what works (for our systems) ....is fun. If this doesn't sound like fun, then just skip this thread. I don't think any of us want to cause distress.
Golear

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:02 pm

As I mentioned, I’m almost immune to criticism. However, in this instance, I never said that the coins don’t work. I said I couldn’t understand how the coins could possibly work, and found them “baffling” and “fascinating”. They are similar to a number of Synergistic Research products (among others) for which the widely-reported sonic benefits can’t be explained and are often written off as “snake oil”. I think this thread and the tape thread are quite interesting, and I imagine that playing around with the coins is fun. I’ll probably try it myself. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Stringreen » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:30 pm

Orchids.....I don't understand it ether, but it does work...especially with the heads in the correct orientation. I will always use the dimes now....the soundstage is wider and cleaner....and clearly better.
Stringreen

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:26 am

Stringreen, That does it. I’m trying coins. Rich
Orchids1

Postby Harry » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:27 am

I am going to try it tomorrow under controlled conditions on the new Direct Drive table and will post results. if it works I will do some high rez digital copies to make us even crazier than before. After Gary Koh's three strips of black electrical tape on the platter and the micro balls on the weight I will try anything.

BTW guys, you have to make a journey to the VPI house and hear the new 40th anniversary direct drive (forever now called 40-DD ) it will change your ideas about what is in a vinyl groove.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Packgrog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:41 am

Harry wrote:...(forever now called 40-DD )...

LMAO! Just when you thought that deck couldn't get sexier...

It's also awesome that you're so willing to try this stuff, rather than being too set in "your way". For me, the learning experience and new discoveries are most of the fun of this hobby.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:27 am

Harry wrote:I am going to try it tomorrow under controlled conditions on the new Direct Drive table and will post results. if it works I will do some high rez digital copies to make us even crazier than before. After Gary Koh's three strips of black electrical tape on the platter and the micro balls on the weight I will try anything.

BTW guys, you have to make a journey to the VPI house and hear the new 40th anniversary direct drive (forever now called 40-DD ) it will change your ideas about what is in a vinyl groove.

HW

Hey Harry
So where/how does the 40 Double D fit into the lineup? I think this is the order based on cost....
Are you suggesting the Double D Trumps them all? No pun intended :D
Titan
Vanquish
Ref Avenger
Double D ?????????
Avenger
Signature Prime
Prime
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Mat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:44 am

Yeah because 40-DD is a totally appropriate name across the board :P