record weight

Re: record weight

Postby Golear » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 pm

I find that the best sound comes with 2 dimes. too.

And by golly, I do like the sound when they're away from the spindle. The sound seems more open and there's more depth and ambience. When the coins are against the spindle, the musicians are in the room; when the coins are away from the spindle, I'm in the venue. (Wish I could claim credit for those words, but they came from a reviewer. I think it was an old Stereophile review comparing Audio Research amps to mbl amps.)

Things no doubt also depend on individual systems and tastes.
Golear

Postby Stringreen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:58 pm

I got your message and agree that heads up is preferred. I didn't quite understand your placement suggestion..... perhaps a picture? Thanks
Stringreen

Postby Golear » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:11 am

Note to everyone: I sent Stringreen a private message on this, as I didn't want to hog this discussion. But never mind that. Apologies if it seems I'm hogging the discussion. :-)

1. I found, as Stringreen did, that two dimes seem to sound the best.

2. The sound is not good when the dimes are against the spindle. The sound is better when they're away from the spindle. However, a distance of one dime away from the spindle seems to be too much. It needs to be closer than that. But how much closer? And how to set that consistently? I decided on something visual. The LP label seems to consists of two parts, and there's a boundary between the two. (The LP "master" has a big hole in the center, and when the vinyl is pressed, this hole is filled in, to leave just the hole for the record player spindle.) I decided on the middle of the dimes being on the boundary. (We can figure out the ideal distance in good time.)

3. Having done (2), I found that the sound is better if both coins are heads up. Stringreen concurs. This is quite a big effect.

4. Having done (3), the next question is how to orient the dimes. I feel the sound is not good when Roosevelt's nose or back of his head points towards the spindle. I believe the sound improves when the top of Roosevelt's head points towards the spindle.
Dimes Head to Spindle.png
Dimes Head to Spindle.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 509 times

But (in my view) the best sound seems to be when Roosevelt's throat points towards the spindle.
Dimes Neck to Spindle.png
Dimes Neck to Spindle.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 509 times
Golear

Postby Stringreen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:50 am

That Vangelis record is one my favorites.....most of his recordings are great. Try to find "1492 - Conquest of Paradise".... its the movie sound track from the picture that was not so good, but the sound and music are excellent. I found it when I was in Sweden - a record shop was piping it to the street. I can't find it in vinyl, but the CD is wonderful. Years after Sweden, I was on a sailing boat traveling the Greek Islands. As they raised the sails and they caught the wind, they played this record....quite thrilling.
Stringreen

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:25 pm

This retails for a couple of thousand dollars. Possible that the VPI clamp and 6 dimes gets you there? I don't have my HRX clamp any longer or I would try it. The opportunities for experimentation are endless and essentially free :D
Attachments
3991-Harmonix-TU-812MX-“Million”-Maestro-Analog-Record-Clamp.jpg
3991-Harmonix-TU-812MX-“Million”-Maestro-Analog-Record-Clamp.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 482 times
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Golear » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Hey! I want to get in on that. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to supply two hi-fi grade dimes, fully tested and certified to work. $2,000.
Golear

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Golear wrote:Hey! I want to get in on that. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to supply two hi-fi grade dimes, fully tested and certified to work. $2,000.

I am sure someone will get their dimes Cryo'd and demagnetized too. I wonder how many possible placement options there are for 6 dimes under an HRX clamp :?: Dang, I need to go buy some lottery tickets... :mrgreen:
Letsmakeadeal

Postby jonathanb » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:57 pm

For best results, you absolutely must use solid silver Mercury head dimes.
jonathanb

Postby Stringreen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:02 pm

I sense a note of skepticism.....you won't know unless you try this for yourself. There are those that thought Edison was a nut too
Stringreen

Postby Golear » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:
Golear wrote:Hey! I want to get in on that. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to supply two hi-fi grade dimes, fully tested and certified to work. $2,000.

I am sure someone will get their dimes Cryo'd and demagnetized too. I wonder how many possible placement options there are for 6 dimes under an HRX clamp :?: Dang, I need to go buy some lottery tickets... :mrgreen:

Cryo: I never thought of that. Jena Labs is local and they cryo their cables. I should talk to them and have a batch of dimes cryo'd. I'll report back on that.

Demagnetization: most, if not all, money is non-magnetic.

As for the number of placement options.... the number could be infinite. But we just need to build a catalog of arrangements that didn't work, and then avoid them:

1. The dimes worked best and the other denominations didn't.
2. Two dimes worked better than three dimes.
3. The dimes worked "heads up" not "heads down".
4. The dimes worked with Roosevelt's throat towards the spindle. (There are an infinite number of possible angles to be explored.)
5. The dimes didn't work when placed against the spindle. So move them out a little. (There are an infinite number of possible positions to be explored.)

If there are infinite number of arrangements that give good results, then that's a good thing. The whole operation is very forgiving, except for a handful of arrangements that don't work.

:-)
Golear

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner