record weight

Re: record weight

Postby Packgrog » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 pm

Hope you like China Grove. Smaller track, seems to show some differences clearly. The clamp is a Michell clamp with grungebuster spacer (very similar to the VPI screw-down clamp), and the weight is a Bren1 (somewhat lighter than the HRX weight, from what I can tell). Dime test is positioned as per attached photo.

https://mega.nz/#F!5hYmgSJD!XFM63bFxNrd6sN78TFI-PQ

IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1017.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1253 times
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Stringreen » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:15 pm

I put the dimes the same way, except the heads are toward the spindle. I guess I'll have to listen again. The dimes are a definite improvement.
Stringreen

Postby MMMC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Stringreen wrote:I put the dimes the same way, except the heads are toward the spindle. I guess I'll have to listen again. The dimes are a definite improvement.

I dedicated some time this morning to the "Dimes" and record weight subject. I had normally used the VPI SS weight, with the VPI "Periph Ring during playback. After some quick initial listening yesterday, here are my impressions from this mornings listening session. Initially two dimes were used, with heads toward the spindle, using the label's inner most ring ridge to achieve equal distance from the spindle. I then did a follow-up playback using 4 dimes placed equal distanced around the same inner label ring. I give the sound resulting with the use of four dimes an edge over the use of two dimes. A big "Thanks" to Golear and Stringreen, for being willing to step out onto the ledge, and producing a zero cost, positive performance benefit. Btw, my test LP was John Coltrane's, "Coltrane" 180 gram recording. What improvements did I hear? More air around the instruments, more full and resonant bass notes to identify just two. I have a suspicion that five dimes may be even slightly better, to produce possible "odd" order resonance effect. Please forgive me for being lazy and not uploading the photos of both configurations I tested. Test for yourself, it's free!!! Won't cost you one thin dime!!

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Dizastical » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:07 pm

If this modification is truly this beneficial then I think someone should try securing the dimes to their preferred record weight with Blu Tac or any other semi permanent bond. Seems to me if the bonding material does not effect the sound quality negatively then it would be a way easier solution than to place dimes in this configuration for every record. Just a thought. This thread is full of great info. Keep up the tinkering guys!
VPI Prime / SoundSmith Zephyr MK III / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Musical Surroundings NOVA III / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT / ProJect VC-S MK II
Dizastical

Postby Packgrog » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 pm

Blue tack would almost certainly change the sound, and might not form an adequate bond anyway.

I’ll report on the gem tweak when the remaining gems arrive from Hong Kong and India.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby wspohn » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Packgrog wrote:Blue tack would almost certainly change the sound, and might not form an adequate bond anyway.

Agree. I wonder if a hot glue gun could be used to create a solid bond that was nonetheless easy to remove from smooth surfaces?
Koetsu Urushi, SME V, VPI TNT 5, SDS, Vendetta SCP-2D, Conrad Johnson Premier 14, Conrad Johnson Premier 11A, Wilson Audio Maxx 2.
wspohn

Postby Packgrog » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:26 pm

Bonding the dimes might also impact the vibration dissipation. Dunno. Give it a try, but make sure you can reverse it if itsucks.
Packgrog

Postby mike_ » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 pm

Do you guys put the dimes instead of using the rubber washer? I'm interested in trying this method.
mike_

Postby Packgrog » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50 am

The rubber washer should only be used with the screw-down clamp, not with a weight.
Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:21 am

Sweet Jesus. I finally got the gems bonded to the weight. Check out the gems file from the following link, and compare to any of the others.

https://mega.nz/#F!5hYmgSJD!XFM63bFxNrd6sN78TFI-PQ

For me, it seems like a significant improvement! I'm VERY glad that I tried it. Thanks very much to Gary Koh for designing the tweak, Joe Pittman for sharing the template, and Dorian for hooking me up with the weight that allowed me to try it!

Now I just need to figure out the best process for the Vinyl Flat since I no longer want to use my reflex clamp!

gemmed_weight.jpg
gemmed_weight.jpg (95.49 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Packgrog

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner