More on Electrical Tape

Re: More on Electrical Tape

Postby Dmm714 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Tirebiter wrote:Not all electrical tapes are slathered in goo. 3M Scotch Super 88 has minimal stick-um...akin to post-it notes and less than painters tape.

Brock

Thanks! I'll check it out
Dmm714

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:17 am

A follow up to my clear-tape test. Three layers proved to be the best. I tried as many as four, all a bit offset as shown in my photo.. Four layers reminded me of the dulling some rubber commercial mats did. My application was quick and dirty, results might be better with careful cutting and application. Cutting with sizzers is tricky because the tape is so sticky. Cutting with a single edged razor blade on a glass surface might be better. Maybe a light coat of food grade silicone on the glass would help? I think I will listen a bit more and then use a different type of tape for comparison. I’m ripping some tunes to my Mac for later review, and my memory reinforcement.
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Dmm714 wrote:
1 (4).jpg

Here's my attempt with painters tape. I'm not sure that I want to get sticky gooey electrical tape on my platter unless I'm sure it's staying... The tape seems to get rid of some background noise with a nice increase in low-level detail.

I’m wondering if the felt mat, as comes stock with the Levinson 515 and the LP12, isn’t doing the same useful thing as the tape on the platter, ie decoupling the vinyl from the platter.

For many records, I really prefer this ... but it varies according to the pressing and the amount of warp.

I’ve got four configurations that I try on Classic platters.

Bare platter with Classic screw clamp.

Bare platter with Levinson weight.

Bare platter with HRX periphery ring and weight.

Platter with (really limp) Levinson felt mat.

You can always hear the difference. After doing this for a while, I’ve fallen into the habit of using just the Levinson felt mat. If it doesn’t give a good showing, I switch to the HRX ring and weight on the bare platter. One of these will usually turn out best in my system.
Peer Gynt

Postby phil_er_up » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Another possibility is to use "Gaffers tape". It is used in the audio/videoindustry to hold down cables on stage etc. It does not leave a residue like Electric tape. It is expensive. Like $15 for a large roll. I have used it for years. Sometimes with long Cables runs from stage to SBD area. I tape the whole cable. It is good for holding down Mic stands by placing the gaffer tape on each leg of your stand. Some venues will not let you use "any tape" on stage unless its Gaffers tape.
phil_er_up

Postby Harry » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:03 pm

I just had very, very good result on the 40-DD using blue painters tape, 1" wide tape cut is two pieces 1" X 2" and one piece 1" x 1". Placed at 120 degree angles around the platter half way out from spindle and the rectangles 90 degrees to each other. leaves no residue and sounds amazing.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Another expierment, a very positive result for my setup. I have three layers of friction tape on my platter, and two layers of tape near the spindle. Next is the record. Next is a silicone washer followed by an elastic hair band, followed by a synthetic promotional coaster (shown for material idenity if possible), followed by a Monster disc stabilizer DS-250. Prime clamp not tested because threads could not be engaged and was not stable. A shaft spacer will solve that concern. It is becoming clear to me that a record likes vertical dampening/shaft isolation in the vertical plane and rotational stability and motor isolation in the horizontal plane. I know it's a bit off topic and a mouthful, but was so positive I thought worth sharing. More record tests will confirm my two record initial test. Photos should clear up most confusion.
Attachments
012F381A-0A91-44BC-9E26-F3DC2445E378.jpeg
Monster clamp
012F381A-0A91-44BC-9E26-F3DC2445E378.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 509 times
05D25EAB-C224-4D1B-A857-12B2030DC3F2.jpeg
Synthetic coaster
05D25EAB-C224-4D1B-A857-12B2030DC3F2.jpeg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 509 times
E918095D-3326-4021-9E66-78BF433D68A2.jpeg
Silicone washer
E918095D-3326-4021-9E66-78BF433D68A2.jpeg (323.84 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Mr_Putty

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:26 am

I tried another expierment I have been thinking about. This time I split a length of Friction tape so the dimensions are about 3/8 in X 10 inches. I barber pole striped my 3D arm starting from near the pivot end where the arm diameter decreases to close to the head shell. My wrap was counterclockwise starting at the pivot end. Being black it looks fine, and is barely visible. My tracking force is just over 1.5 gm, the recommended force for an Ortofon 2M Bronze. The result is positive, for all records I tested. Better vocals and drum attack and a new level of smoothness that’s enjoyable. I will need to re-evaluate my records with this new level of detail. I’m not a big fan of classical violin (just doesn’t get me excited) but I love horns and acoustic guitar. I compared my previous record weight tests and the VPI stock screw-down weight with the arm tape in place. The results were very similar to me, just different. They were so close I do not yet know which is better with which style of music. In general I would say the arm tape test should NOT be ignored. It may be the cheapest upgrade yet. Full disclosure: I did not try blue tape on the arm. I would like to know if this works as well on a higher end system. Any takers out there?
Mr_Putty

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:51 am

TWO different tests completed today. Both used dimes.
Setup ONE, I used my silicone washer as a base on the record. I used my stock Prime clamp slightly pressing two or three dimes into the washer. The pressure came from inside the outer clamp edge. The washer and dime height were barely enough to allow this.

Setup TWO,
No washer used. I liked two dimes on the record under the outer edge of the Prime clamp. (the clamp edge comes close to the dead-wax area, so the clamp could not quite press on the center of the dimes). I not sure it would have mattered.

Setup two gave more detail but was also more “analytical”. For example, on some records the studio reverb was clearly audible in the background mixing and overall in these places the music was lacking reflections (texture) from other instruments.

Setup one was not as analytical but very musical overall. IMHO both are an improvement over the stock clamp.
Both tests used Friction tape on the platter, as well as a barber pole stripe on the arm. Tracking was just over 1.5 gm. The anti-skate line is a much heavier Dacron line. I used what I had on hand. I wanted to try a less stretchy line. The original line is still attached so I can make comparisons, but so far the new one is my preference. I also have the second pivot installed and really like it.

Edit:
As listening progresses, I now like two dimes, my synthetic coaster disc and then the Prime clamp. There are about two turns of thread available on the spindle for the clamp. The coaster can be seen in my previous posts, labeled “synthetic coaster”. Note: I have not tried any of the high end clamps for comparison. AND, as shown the diameter of the coaster is a bit large and can cause cartridge interference. So if you try this use caution!
Mr_Putty

Postby Harry » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:26 am

Be careful, with two threads you can strip the clamp easily so use reasonable force, do not over-tighten.

HW
Harry
Admin

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner