More on Electrical Tape

More on Electrical Tape

Postby Golear » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:20 pm

A friend came to my house and noted that there was some feedback from the turntable. It made the very low bass lumpy and fat. I'm happy to have found a solution. I'm not using the two thumb screws to lock out the platform. Since I have my remote control VTA adjuster, I can't use the two thumb screws. Locking the screws does promote a more detailed presentation, but they didn't address the bass feedback. Soundstage depth and dimensionality also seems to be better when they're left loose (or taken away entirely).

HW had passed along the tip from Gary Koh, of Genesis Technoligies, on putting electrical tape on the platter. That worked amazingly well. And it got me thinking about putting tape elsewhere. I cut some thin strips, and stuck it on the sides of the platform on which the unipivot is mounted on the tonearm. On the rightmost part - the surface closest to the back right corner of the turntable. Good effect. So then I put a little tape on the lowest part of the unipivot housing. Very nice, too. Then I put a couple of strips across the top surface of the platform, too. One strip was between the cueing device and the unipivot. The other strip was in front of the cueing device. By golly!

I played Madonna Erotica LP. It's very densely recorded, with lots of very deep bass, effects and layers. It was a bit of a mishmash, but after the mod, each layer sounded separate and clear. And the improvement in the bass was astounding. Before, it was big and fat. After the mod, there was more detail, and deeper response. I could make out the notes (lower than where a the lowest bass guitar or double bass notes would be) when previously it was just big and fat. Cleaning up the feedback in the bass cleaned up the midrange and treble performance.
Golear

Re: More on Electrical Tape

Postby 930turbo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:45 am

Hi ,

If its not a lot of trouble can you post a picture of the platter w/ Electrical tape ( position ) were they were Installed .

Thanks in advance ,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:26 am

It sounds like an attempt at unconstrained layer damping.

Linn insist that this is a real issue for many tonearms. Any micro level vibrations in the arm or base are on the scale, or possibly even on a greater scale, than the vibrations recorded in the groove. They insist that this muddies the playback, killing detail and nuances. Their position leads them to conclude that the arm and arm base are even more important than the cartridge.
Peer Gynt

Postby Brf » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:08 am

Peer Gynt wrote:It sounds like an attempt at unconstrained layer damping.

Linn insist that this is a real issue for many tonearms. Any micro level vibrations in the arm or base are on the scale, or possibly even on a greater scale, than the vibrations recorded in the groove. They insist that this muddies the playback, killing detail and nuances. Their position leads them to conclude that the arm and arm base are even more important than the cartridge.

I remember back in the day experimenting with free-layer or extensional damping using everything from liquid paper, plumber's tape, rubber glue, etc on my TT and tonearms. It was a fun experiment, but it always ended up with me going back to the original design state.

When VPI went from an aluminum to a stainless steel arm tube, the arm benefited from some additional damping in the form of a heat shrink vinyl wrap.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Golear » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:12 pm

I agree, a lot of these kinds of mods are hit-or-miss. But so far, so good, as far as I am concerned.

VPI might want to look into an improved platform. May be something made of the 3D material, or a metal and acrylic sandwich with vinyl wrap, like the Prime plinth. Come to think of it, putting electrical tape is kinda-sorta like vinyl wrap.

Here are some pics.
Tape1.png
Tape1.png (409.51 KiB) Viewed 368 times

Tape2.png
Tape2.png (407.14 KiB) Viewed 368 times
Golear

Postby Golear » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:50 pm

@930

I didn't put tape on the platter. I use 2 LPs as a record mat, so that I can set the right VTA for thin LPs. The LPs that I use as a mat have the tape. I prefer the sound when the tape is on the underside. This works great for me.

1. At the 12 o'clock position, put one tape. The length of this tape is the same as the width.
2. At the 4 o'clock position, put another tape. The length of this tape is twice as much as the width. The long side is closest to the center of the LP.
3. At the 8 o'clock position, put another tape. The length of this tape is twice as much as the width. The short side is closest to the center of the LP.

I don't think we need to worry about being ultra precise about the tape lengths or the positioning. I'm using 1/2 inch tape, not the 1 inch tape that HW said. And who knows, may be four tapes are better than three...

(I'm using the periphery ring. And I am using the Goldmund Clamp instead of the HRX centerweight. The Goldmund Clamp is far, far, far, far, far better than the HRX. I should check out the Stillpoints LPi. I also have to investigate the other thing that HW said Gary Koh did: putting the three balls under the HRX.)
Golear

Postby 930turbo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi Golear,

Thanks for the tip.

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:46 am

Here’s what I did tonight. See photo. The tape is 2 inch transparent packaging tape. Made a noticeable difference. The first test was with one layer in five places as shown. Not an improvement on my Prime with stock screw clamp. But, the second layer as shown in five places made an improvement. Need to verify on more records. All tape was cut on an angle and the top layer pieces are shorter than the first.
JTA
Attachments
318F16B1-1A37-487B-8DD1-415378148AEC.jpeg
318F16B1-1A37-487B-8DD1-415378148AEC.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 296 times
Mr_Putty

Postby Dmm714 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:41 am

1 (4).jpg
1 (4).jpg (75.85 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Here's my attempt with painters tape. I'm not sure that I want to get sticky gooey electrical tape on my platter unless I'm sure it's staying... The tape seems to get rid of some background noise with a nice increase in low-level detail.
Dmm714

Postby Tirebiter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:24 am

Not all electrical tapes are slathered in goo. 3M Scotch Super 88 has minimal stick-um...akin to post-it notes and less than painters tape.

Brock
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Next

Return to Harry's Corner