Record platter mat use

Re: Record platter mat use

Postby Harry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:33 pm

I use three pieces of 1" wide black electrical tape on my platter now. Set at 120 degree spacing in the center of the groove area one piece is 1"X 1", and two are 1" X 2" with one of the rectangular ones 90 degrees to the other. Sounds crazy but Gary Koh from Genesis Speakers came up with this while using his direct drive VPI Vanquish. It works on all the bare platters very well.

He also uses three 1/16" balls glued to the bottom of his center weight at different distances from the center and using three different ball materials. I know, sounds crazy, it works beautifully.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Mike O » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I feel reassured my records will be safe on the bare platter. The newest mat Jonathan obtained from VPI looks nice. Thanks for posting that picture Jonathan. Maybe I can obtain or trade in for one of them if need be. I read somewhere the Classic 2 SE model I ordered has a coating on the bare metal platter, so I'm not sure how it looks without the mat. Hopefully the turntable will arrive soon.

On another note, I read there are a number of upgrades you can make to the Classic 2. Are these listed anywhere? I didn't come across them on the VPI site, but might have missed them. Are the upgrades to give the Classic 1 or 2 features of the next higher model Classic turntable? If so it will give me something to work on over the next few years if the upgrades remain available. Thanks.

Mike
Mike O

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:17 pm

Harry, Why do you use the electrical tape. Does it reduce static, or do you think it improves the sound. Or, do you just like it’s looks. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Golear » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:58 pm

I experimented with this. By jove, it sounds better!

Thanks Gary, HW.
Golear

Postby leftside » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:21 pm

Harry wrote:I use three pieces of 1" wide black electrical tape on my platter now. Set at 120 degree spacing in the center of the groove area one piece is 1"X 1", and two are 1" X 2" with one of the rectangular ones 90 degrees to the other. Sounds crazy but Gary Koh from Genesis Speakers came up with this while using his direct drive VPI Vanquish. It works on all the bare platters very well.

He also uses three 1/16" balls glued to the bottom of his center weight at different distances from the center and using three different ball materials. I know, sounds crazy, it works beautifully.

HW

Can you post a pic?
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby Tirebiter » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:22 am

Come on, we all know that it is impossible for a tweak to have a positive effect unless it costs at least a $1,000.

Harry must have used oxygen free, 5N pure electrical tape!! Not to mention that a $600 alignment jig is required to place the tape in precise locations.

;) Sorry, I couldn't help poking some fun at our overly anal tendencies....

I love the clever solutions. Thanks for posting Harry!

Brock
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby Harry » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:47 am

Cheapest upgrade you can do, about 3 cents of electrical tape. I'll ask Mat to post a [picture as my description yesterday was less than clear.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby jonathanb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Damn, I only have 3/4 inch electrical tape! Do I lose 25% of the benefit of this tweak using the tape I have on hand? ;)
jonathanb

Postby Peer Gynt » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:51 pm

jonathanb wrote:Damn, I only have 3/4 inch electrical tape! Do I lose 25% of the benefit of this tweak using the tape I have on hand? ;)

Double up and get 50% more benefit. :o
Peer Gynt

Postby Mike O » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Gads, I don't think I could bring myself to put masking tape on the platter of my new Classic 2, Harry, no matter how good it sounds. Your creations, the Classic turntables, are a work of industrial art, not only a music reproduction device. An example of my old Bang and Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable is (or at least was) exhibited in the industrial arts section of the NY Museum of Modern Art. Maybe you've seen it there. Yours is a sweet design too. So please take that tape off your turntable right now. Show yourself some artistic respect. :D You're not the guy who'd spice up the Mona Lisa with a mustache are you?

However, I wouldn't mind seeing how the three balls set up on the record weight is put together, and find out what materials he used for the balls. Did he cut the balls in half in order to have a flat side to glue them to the underside of the weight?

Mike
Mike O

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner