Record platter mat use

Re: Record platter mat use

Postby Mr_Putty » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 pm

I’m on the side of caution. All my electrical tape tends to migrate adhesive to the edges. Perhaps tape used for waterline striping on boats would be better? It holds up really well, as you might expect. Another test I can’t immediately do.
Mr_Putty

Postby Ducky » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 am

jonathanb wrote:Damn, I only have 3/4 inch electrical tape! Do I lose 25% of the benefit of this tweak using the tape I have on hand? ;)

I've been using masking tape instead of electrical tape; I find this has a much improved result. I prefer the blue masking tape over green (OK but less improvement) or the old tan versions (the worst, not even worth trying) and find that 2" tape gives the best results (except on Tuesdays, which seem to favor 1.5" tape).

Also, be sure to cut the edges of the tape at angles to prevent resonances from destroying the sound. I found 17.35° on the leading edge (CW) to be optimum and 15 7/22° to be best on the trailing edge. Do NOT cut the other two sides at angles or you will ruin the sound.

Placement of the 3 tape samples is straight forward: One at 12:00, one at 3:57, one at 7:37 and the last at 10:33:12. Failure to do so may have adverse effects. Make sure place them at different distances from the spindle using random prime numbers as a basis. Using more than 5¼ PSI to apply the tape can also have serious side effects; when in doubt, use a calibrated stain gauge.

If you do all of the above, I promise you it will sound just like reel to reel master tape. :D
Ducky

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Ducky, Bravo ! Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner