Record platter mat use

Record platter mat use

Postby Mike O » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:50 pm

I have just purchased a new "VPI Classic with JMW Classic SE Tonearm with VTA/SRA (formerly Classic 2)", which I was lucky enough to locate, since I understand they have been discontinued.

At the time of purchase, yesterday, I asked the dealer if they came with a plain black mat, as I preferred one without a logo for aesthetic reasons. She said no, but the use of a mat on the platter was not necessary. Later in the day I found a quote from Harry Weisfeld in the Steve Hoffman Forum that Harry didn't use a mat on his. I was wondering, if this is indeed the case, did Harry have any concern or experience with record damage by sitting his records on the bare aluminum platter, or whatever material the platter surface may be on the one I have purchased? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Mike
Mike O

Re: Record platter mat use

Postby Brf » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:26 am

Typically, new Classic turntables came with a light grey mat made from a foam rubber like material. VPI has since switched to a felt like material.

The use of a mat on a VPI table is not necessary as the bare platter will not harm your records. As for the sonic benefits of a mat, it all comes down to user preference. Like HW, many VPI users do not use a mat and some prefer it.

Congrats on the Classic 2, they are very nice tables.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Packgrog » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:49 am

It largely depends on the platter. The Classic platter is fine to run bare. The Scout metal platter, maybe. The Player/Cliffwood/Traveller/Scout Jr platter rings quite a lot, IME, so a mat is recommended. I use a 5mm Acromat on my Jr.

As far as the older acrylic platters, always run bareback. Mats are pointless with those.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Mike O » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:26 pm

Packgrog, If you and Brf don't think the bare surface on the Classic platter would be detrimental to the records placed on it, I'll give it a try. I assumed the record mat's primary purpose was to protect a records surface by keeping it off the bare platter for some reason. My vintage Bang and Olufsen Beogram 4002, which I am replacing with the Classic 2, didn't use a mat either. It had 24 raised plastic ridges on it's aluminum platter the record sat on.

Brf, the mat I saw advertised with the Classic 2 I purchased had a large blue, white and black "VPI made in USA" logo on it, rather than being plain light grey, which would have been fine. Maybe that mat is plain on the other side and can be flipped over. I'll find out when its delivered next week. Thanks for both your replies.

Mike
Mike O

Postby Brf » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:51 am

Mike O wrote:Packgrog, If you and Brf don't think the bare surface on the Classic platter would be detrimental to the records placed on it, I'll give it a try. I assumed the record mat's primary purpose was to protect a records surface by keeping it off the bare platter for some reason. My vintage Bang and Olufsen Beogram 4002, which I am replacing with the Classic 2, didn't use a mat either. It had 24 raised plastic ridges on it's aluminum platter the record sat on.

Brf, the mat I saw advertised with the Classic 2 I purchased had a large blue, white and black "VPI made in USA" logo on it, rather than being plain light grey, which would have been fine. Maybe that mat is plain on the other side and can be flipped over. I'll find out when its delivered next week. Thanks for both your replies.

Mike

Mike, there are literally thousands of VPI bare Platter users who have not experienced any album damage, so rest assured, you will be okay. The mats primary function is to provide an alternate platter / album interface which can alter the sound. I would suggest trying with and without the mat and simply choose what you like the best. The American themed VPI logo mat is the most current.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jonathanb » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:32 am

Brf wrote:The American themed VPI logo mat is the most current.

I believe that one has finally been superseded. I picked this up at VPI a few weeks ago:
IMG_0594.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg (219.73 KiB) Viewed 658 times
jonathanb

Postby Marc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:29 am

jonathanb wrote:
I believe that one has finally been superseded. I picked this up at VPI a few weeks ago:
IMG_0594.jpg

This would be our most up to date slipmat
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI HR-X, Fatboy, & Voyager Phono| Ortofon A95| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby Brf » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:27 am

Marc wrote:
jonathanb wrote:
IMG_0594.jpg

This would be our most up to date slipmat

Marc, is the new slipmat the same material as the American themed one i.e purely cosmetic?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jonathanb » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:34 am

They look similar but seem to be two different materials. The older one appears to be made from a kind of brushed twill material. The new one is a non-woven felt-like material. The old mat is thicker than the new mat: ~2.2mm vs ~1.7mm.
jonathanb

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:13 pm

In my experience with the classic 4 and HRX, no mat is best. FWIW

No fear of any record damage. I have a nice deer skin mat but I don't use it when playing records. When Idle, I put it on the table. Looks nice!
Letsmakeadeal

Next

Return to Harry's Corner