I need you Harry-12" arms and MF

Re: I need you Harry-12" arms and MF

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:06 pm

There was a turntable from Nakamichi that centered the disk for you. It dropped a tracer arm onto the disc, measured the excursion of the arm in a revolution, made correction, and you kept doing this for a few iterations until it converged. Then the tracer arm was retracted and the normal arm was dropped to play.

The Dremel idea is a nonstarter. The eccentricity of that disc is not the same on both sides.

I really think that the people who killed vinyl (and will kill it again) are the record companies.

I bought a brand new copy of The Nightfly too because I use it for evaluation.

It is horrible. It’s not eccentric. It just sucks. It’s a very noisy pressing. I played it on the Levinson/VPI and then on the high spec LP12. It was lousy on both.

Two other disks from that trip to B&N are decent ... Interestingly, the Levinson/VPI seems more sensitive to its support surface than the LP12 (which has a tuned suspension), but when the support is right for both, the Levinson/VPI is giving the better of two really excellent presentations when the program material is up to it.

Tonight I’m going to listen to the other records from that visit to B&N so that I can learn about their vinyl return policy tomorrow.
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Harry wrote:Yes, I was talking about the longer arms.

HW

Which models will accept the 14” or 16” arms?

Thanks
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Waxxy wrote:
I was surprised you mentioned not having many records with spindle holes that are off centre. My collection is the opposite...I have very few records where the hole is perfectly aligned...most are off centre, even if only to a small degree.

You know, I may have a lot of them and just don’t know it. I don’t recall ever having had any noticeable distortion or mistracking that I would have attributed to eccentric spindle holes. But this may just be a testimony to the goodness of my gear, locations, and set ups.

On the VPIs, (Classic 3 w/ JMW 10 3D Printed tonearm and fancy feet, and now also the Levinson 515 which is really a VPI at its heart), I admit that I am on a learning curve.

I have the LP12 tools, manuals, and 35 years of familiarity under my belt. With these very heavy unsuspended tables with longer arms, and even one with a unipivot, there are some new things I’m having to figure out. That’s why I’m here. I’ve learned quite a bit from those who’ve lived and breathed the VPI air.

I’m basically planning to phase out the Linns eventually. I have to go to England to get good customer support with Linn. Even then it’s not great. The company doesn’t really care about their support outside the UK. I’m fed up.

As for the records, I’ve got a fairly large collection, going back to the 30s and 40’s (pre 33 1/3 era). But most are LPs from the 60s into the 90s. I’ve been adding new stuff, but discovering a huge variation in quality from one project to the next.
Peer Gynt

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:12 pm

Peter Gynt,
I’ve altered a few record holes. I found a sharp stiff xacto blade worked reasonably well. I estimated the amount of correction needed and “carved” the hole as needed. It’s a slow process, but the shavings fall away and a Dremel can be very aggressive and dusty. I then marked the label so I would know which side of the hole should be against the spindle. My LedZeppelin lll copy was terrible.
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 am

Like PG, I'm fortunate not to have a lot of records with off centre spindle holes that cause either mistracking and/or distortion which requires a remedy. I have tried enlarging holes on some records with mixed results which has resulting in me in just reacquiring the record.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby MMMC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:35 am

Harry wrote:Good Waxxy, you did it. It will not damage anything and goes to show how we obsess over little things that are meaningless yet let the important ones pass by.

The 14" and 16" arms I will be making will work even better but the 12" still does a great job and anyone can try it just by re-positioning the cartridge perfectly straight with the arm tube. If you are lucky enough to have an Avenger you can remove the screws holding the bass of the arm to the arm board, get a "C" clamp from Home Depot and position the arm properly for the straightened cartridge. You will be bowled over.

If this comes to market from VPI (or if not and some want it contact me) it will be adaptable to all the old tables, we never leave anyone out.

I have not tried it yet on a 9" or 10.5" arm, not enough hours in the day.

HW

Harry,

Two Questions.
1. Will the new 14" and 16" arms be available as "Fatboy" builds, or only as the "standard" 3D tonearm configuration?
2. If you do decide to produce the 14 inch arm as a Fatboy, how difficult will it be to mount(???) a 14" Fatboy for use on my HRX?

Thanks for your never ending innovations, and the commitment to never leave anyone behind as you continue to push, and establish, new boundaries for analog playback.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:40 am

Peer Gynt wrote:
Tonight I’m going to listen to the other records from that visit to B&N so that I can learn about their vinyl return policy tomorrow.

The Nora Jones dupe was also “brought to you by Rice Krispies.” Not listenable.

I notice that the Ekos SE with Lyra Delos is slightly less noisy than the Levinson/VPI gimbal with Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, but this is like saying it is better to be whacked upside the head with a 2x4 than with a 2x6. I don’t want either.

Back to B&N today with three unlistenable new pressings of old favorites. We’ll find out about their customer service. I expect disappointment. :cry:

The three Verve Diana Krell double albums, and the Sara MacLaughlin dupe were all good. So 7 disks were good, and 3 were lousy out of the 10 I bought.

Also, now that I’m looking closely for horizontal tone arm oscillation, it seems like all the records show it to some degree. It has never been something that drew attention to itself until that Sting album jumped tracks several times on first play. I think my degree of level probably contributed to this problem. I’ve not yet moved the Levinson/VPI to a permanent roost and the table it’s on can creep under load.
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:Tonight I’m going to listen to the other records from that visit to B&N so that I can learn about their vinyl return policy tomorrow.

They refunded all 3, even though they’d been opened.

Three cheers to the Murfreesboro, TN Barnes & Noble.
Peer Gynt

Postby Harry » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 pm

If and when we do the longer arms they will be made with adapters to fit the HR-X and TNT so not an issue. I really love the sound of the longer arms, very smooth and engaging.

That Levinson 515 is a really great table with the ADS built into it, amazing speed accuracy.. BTW, just got a major award in Japan as best table!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Harry wrote:If and when we do the longer arms they will be made with adapters to fit the HR-X and TNT so not an issue. I really love the sound of the longer arms, very smooth and engaging.

That Levinson 515 is a really great table with the ADS built into it, amazing speed accuracy.. BTW, just got a major award in Japan as best table!!

HW

I thought it might be ADS built in. It honed in on 33.3 within 8 hours of breaking in.

When both the high spec LP12 and the 515 shoot it out on the same record, both well situated, they both sound really great, but the 515 has a slight edge in my system.

I’m not surprised that it is winning awards.
Peer Gynt

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner