I need you Harry-12" arms and MF

Re: I need you Harry-12" arms and MF

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:
Harry wrote:If and when we do the longer arms they will be made with adapters to fit the HR-X and TNT so not an issue. I really love the sound of the longer arms, very smooth and engaging.

That Levinson 515 is a really great table with the ADS built into it, amazing speed accuracy.. BTW, just got a major award in Japan as best table!!

HW

I thought it might be ADS built in. It honed in on 33.3 within 8 hours of breaking in.

PG, does the 515 have the ability to fine tune the speed by manipulating the line frequency?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:55 pm

No. No feedback from platter either.

But we have a very stable generating frequency.

Even at 60hz, I need SDS on the Classic. I dial it down to 59.8 to match my strobe target.

Without me adjusting it, the 515 is right on target.

I use a Linn speedchecker disc with a Clearaudio 300hz strobe.

My LP12s both have DC motors with closed loop controllers. They’re dead on too.

With SDS, so is the Classic, but it’s fast without SDS.
Peer Gynt

Postby Harry » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:54 pm

We run in every 515 for a day and then set the speed to be right on. The only possible reason it would be off is shipping damage.

Your Classic should run right on speed at 60 or at least very, very close. Do you have a stock pulley or have you modified?

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Harry wrote:We run in every 515 for a day and then set the speed to be right on. The only possible reason it would be off is shipping damage.

Your Classic should run right on speed at 60 or at least very, very close. Do you have a stock pulley or have you modified?

HW

The 515 was slow at the beginning. The platter bearing was lubed, fit very nicely without any sense of slop or interference ... it was not tight like my Classic was.

There was no evidence of shipping damage. The boxes were perfect and sealed.

I checked speed a couple of times over the first day. It settled in to stable and correct by the end of day 1 and I was pleased.

The motor then struggled a bit on day 2. The stick slip chatter was worse than I’d seen with the Classic. By the end of day 2, it would not come up to speed without a bit of help. I was a bit concerned.

On the morning of day 3, I powdered the belts. That was the end of the trouble. I got out the speed checker disc and strobe, and it was coming up to speed quickly and it was correct and stable.

Nothing but good since.

Regarding the Classic 3 with JMW 10 3D Printed arm and Signature feet, I bought that new in sealed boxes a few months ago.

The platter bearing was lubed. It was a very tight (difficult) fit. At the beginning it ran slow and a bit unstable.

On day 2 I pulled the platter to move the Classic to the final location. It was very tight and difficult to pull.

After moving it and leveling it, speed check said it was fast. I powdered the belt, and that helped.

By day 3 it was stable but fast.

The pulley is stock and never damaged.

Rather than whine about it, I bought a used SDS. At 59.2 it’s stable and correct.
Peer Gynt

Postby Harry » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:32 pm

The pulley has three or four grooves on it that determine fine speed adjustment. If you go to the highest groove you should be closer to the 60 HZ for correct speed. The lower you go in the grooves the faster the table runs.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Brf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Harry wrote:The pulley has three or four grooves on it that determine fine speed adjustment. If you go to the highest groove you should be closer to the 60 HZ for correct speed. The lower you go in the grooves the faster the table runs.

HW

For clarity, HW is referring to the Classic 3 pulley not the ML515. The ML515 has a non-stepped HRX style pulley.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:41 pm

I’ll see if that’s what’s needed.

Thanks!
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Harry wrote:The pulley has three or four grooves on it that determine fine speed adjustment. If you go to the highest groove you should be closer to the 60 HZ for correct speed. The lower you go in the grooves the faster the table runs.

HW

I sho’ ‘nuff missed the memo on that trick.
And, of course, it does solve the problem.

Well, the SDS is cute ... and it’s nice to flip to 45 with a switch. :oops:
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm

FWIW, I had set mine up to look like the first related picture in the manual.

The idea that the grooves are different is alluded to when it says that the middle groove usually provides the correct speed. I missed that this also means that the grooves provide fine tuning of the speed.

I’ve been happy with the SDS and may keep it.
Peer Gynt

Postby Harry » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 pm

If the speed in correct from the pulley or needs correction from the SDS I always find the SDS, makes the table better under any situation.

HW
Harry
Admin

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner