TNT-6X dual motor flywheel a bit erratic

TNT-6X dual motor flywheel a bit erratic

Postby JeffreyB » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:50 pm

Long ago, Harry made three HRX tables (e.g., HRX bearings and platters) except they were built with TNT 6 plinths, and these 3 each had some special differences. One Harry made for himself (a hotrod), one was for a friend in Toronto, a good mutual friend, and one for me that took an armboard, to allow mounting an Airtangent tonearm -- an ebony board. It was a special favor, and I have always been grateful for the special kindness and consideration Harry extended in this way.

My table has a Super platter but otherwise is unchanged, being very suitable for its purpose.

Off and on it has lately not been entirely steady after getting up to speed initially. A cap was replaced in the DMFA (dual motor flywheel assembly, which is all aluminum as HRX DMFAs were) when earlier, it would stall and stutter and not get up to speed, but now I wonder if the motors need replacement or other service. I recently lubed flywheel and platter bearings, but perhaps they need this again.

What is the best advice to get my table back to its old reliable self?

Harry, best regards!

Jeff B
JeffreyB

Re: TNT-6X dual motor flywheel a bit erratic

Postby 930turbo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi ,

I had this experience also in my TNT 6 . I replaced the caps , lube the motors to no avail . The motor cannot maintain constant spend and it can’t even start at 45 rpm from a dead stop . Then I discovered that the Allen screws that hold both motor pulley were loose . I tightened them and the problem solved .

Best regard ,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Harry » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:19 am

Listen to 930 Turbo and also try the motor assembly plugged in the wall, no SDS. If it starts and runs properly you know the problem is in the SDS. The speed will be off but if it does everything else properly you know the culprit.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby JeffreyB » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi, I tightened the Allen screws of the motor pulleys and the next session went fine with no problems. Presumably fixed. It's still a fine sounding table, Harry!

Best regards, and thanks to 930 Turbo too.

Jeff B
JeffreyB

Postby Harry » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 am

Basically, I can sit back and let VPI owners answer the questions. My life has just gotten better!! Thanks for everything guys.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby tom collins » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:08 pm

You can see my tnt6hr description below. I just have not heard any reason to change. I am using the best cartridge no one has ever heard of and is made by Peter. A modified 103 denon the Peter hot rods which keeps all of the tonal qualities of the 103, but ups the game on trasparancy and speed. The 12.7 is still a very fine arm and mates well with the soundsmith.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby 930turbo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:25 am

JeffreyB wrote:Hi, I tightened the Allen screws of the motor pulleys and the next session went fine with no problems. Presumably fixed. It's still a fine sounding table, Harry!

Best regards, and thanks to 930 Turbo too.

Jeff B

Your welcome and I’m glad to be of help to a fellow VPI / TNT 6 owner.
+ 1 on it being a fine sounding turntable .

Best regard ,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Return to Harry's Corner