August TAS - Harry, a comment attributed to you

August TAS - Harry, a comment attributed to you

Postby tony22 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:50 am

Hi Harry. So I finally got part of the way into the review of the three "non MC" (MM or MI) carts in the August 2018 issue of TAS. I found the point where the author (can't recall if it's AJ or JV or someone else) writes that you have remarked on your preference for non MC carts over moving coils. I have MCs, MMs, and a MI in my stable so I can't say I'm partial to any, but I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on moving magnets.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Re: August TAS - Harry, a comment attributed to you

Postby Harry » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:31 pm

I have a love of good MM cartridges like the Shure Ultra 500. I have one from 25 years ago and it still has a master tape sound, a smoothness that you rarely find in MC's but with loads of detail is set up right. Set up right means 50 pF capacitance and 30K loading.

Same goes for the amazing Hyperion by Sound-Smith and the Epoch and less costly top cartridges from Grado. They have a naturalness that is very, very tape like.

That being said MC's are a almost there but with even more detail and transparency. So, an Atlas, a Transfiguration Diamond, and a few others have that smoothness of tape but also have that "you are there" transparency. I listened to the Art-1000 last night with seven audiophiles playing the one-step Donald Fagan and the reaction was "just like a master tape". We are getting there very quickly.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby tony22 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Interesting. Would you have a recommendation for a current day "does everything right" MM or MI that might fly under $1K?
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Harry » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:54 am

One contender is the Ortofon Quintet Bronze loaded correctly and broken in, a very good cartridge.
Harry
Admin

Postby tony22 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:52 am

Of course! (head smack) I heard this a number of times, once at the VPI audio house. A nice sounding cart.
tony22

Postby tony22 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:57 pm

And oh, what of (we're now in the above $1K range) the Clearaudios? I've never heard one but they do seem to be well regarded.
tony22

Postby suntea » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Harry wrote:One contender is the Ortofon Quintet Bronze loaded correctly and broken in, a very good cartridge.

Harry, I notice this one cost less than the Ortofon Quintet Black. Obviously the Bronze sounds better to you than the black. Is it the warmth that you like better? I have not listened to it yet but am considering it and have read it sounds "warm". Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Harry » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:21 am

I would not call it warm, I would call the Black lean and I cannot tolerate lean anymore. As our systems get more revealing the sound of lean on violin strings drives me crazy so long term I tell everyone go for the Bronze not the Black. On the other and if your system seems warm and fuzzy to you the Black will clear it up but if you change components later it will sound lean.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby suntea » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Harry wrote:I would not call it warm, I would call the Black lean and I cannot tolerate lean anymore. As our systems get more revealing the sound of lean on violin strings drives me crazy so long term I tell everyone go for the Bronze not the Black. On the other and if your system seems warm and fuzzy to you the Black will clear it up but if you change components later it will sound lean.

HW

Thanks Harry. I understand what you are saying. I may try the Bronze soon. BTW, I bought the Eminent Technology speakers on what I read from you and love them. Have a great weekend.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Harry » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:15 am

Good luck with the ET' speakers, I love them. Having said that and that you own them I lean even more towards the Bronze over the black.

HW
Harry
Admin

Next

Return to Harry's Corner