Classic Signature W/3D arm table-Cartridge recommendation

Classic Signature W/3D arm table-Cartridge recommendation

Postby aztwang » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Harry,
As the classic seems to be one of your favorite tables, do you have a sub $1K stereo cartridge recommendation? Also I want to add a second arm for a mono cartridge....recommendation also please.
Thanks for this great forum by the way...

Cheers
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP-- EL34- Marantz TT15-S1-- Sumiko Blackbird
Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono stage-- Blue Jeans Interconnects & Blue Jeans Speaker cable--
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Re: Classic Signature W/3D arm table-Cartridge recommendatio

Postby MOON » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:18 pm

I think that table would give you far better sound if you stretched your but somewhat. Having said that a Soundsmith Carmen would suffice around what you want to spend.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby 10ovr » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:28 pm

For 200 bucks more you could get one of Harrys VAS NOVA'S ,,
10ovr

Postby Harry » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:27 pm

I love the HW-VAS NOVA but if it must be under $1K try the Ortofon 2M Bronze for MM or Quintet Bronze for MC. The Carmen is also a good choice but a different sound.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:37 pm

MOON wrote:I think that table would give you far better sound if you stretched your but somewhat. Having said that a Soundsmith Carmen would suffice around what you want to spend.

Nice review of the Carmen MKII here:

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/soundsmith-carmen-mk-ii-phonograph-cartridge/
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby aztwang » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:58 pm

Harry wrote:I love the HW-VAS NOVA but if it must be under $1K try the Ortofon 2M Bronze for MM or Quintet Bronze for MC. The Carmen is also a good choice but a different sound.

HW

Harry,
Thanks for the reply. How would you sonically compare the Vas Nova vs the Carmen MK2/3??

Cheers
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP-- EL34- Marantz TT15-S1-- Sumiko Blackbird
Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono stage-- Blue Jeans Interconnects & Blue Jeans Speaker cable--
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Postby jonathanb » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:28 am

For (well) under $1000, any of the Hana cartridges should work quite nicely.
jonathanb

Postby Harry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:16 pm

The HW-VAS is not lean, forward, or in any way annoying to listen to.

The Carmen is excellent but sounds different in a smooth yet slightly MC bright way even though it is an IM. I think it has a slight lack of upper bass lower midrange flare that can really make it sound slightly surgical but if your system is in any way warm it may fill the bill.

The Hana is a great MC that that does everything right but sounds like it is voiced similar to the Carmen. Nothing wrong with that just very much like a lot of other cartridges in the same price range, like the Quintet Bronze. Shouldn't complain though, I could live with any of them if I had to.

Just got the new Audio-Technica ART-1000, ART-7, and the new version of the infamous OC-9 the MK-3. Will be comparing them to the Miajiima Soboken L a really great sounding cartridge, the Van den Hul Colibri Stradivarius, and the Sumiko Starling. See you in a few weeks!!!!!!!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Stringreen » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:05 am

now you're talking Harry.....sounds like a very interesting comparison. When I heard the Art 1000....seemed too light..bass shy....but I didn't really know the system sound.
Stringreen

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:49 am

Gosh, I envy Harry. He gets to buy all this cool stuff on a tax-deductible basis. Wish I could turn my audio system into a profitable business. Good for you. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Next

Return to Harry's Corner