Classic Platter Bearing stainless steel retaining "donut".

Re: Classic Platter Bearing stainless steel retaining "donut

Postby 930turbo » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:04 am

Thanks Harry were counting on you.
VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby jmk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:42 am

Is this just a cosmetic upgrade or will there be a sonic improvement as well?
VPI Classic 3 w/ Soundsmith zephyr mk 2+SDS, Parasound Halo JC3+ Phono pre,Woo Audio WA22 balanced headphone amp with Audeze LCDX-C PHONES, VPI Cyclone and 16.5 rcm. Also original scout
jmk

Postby Brf » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:15 pm

jmk wrote:Is this just a cosmetic upgrade or will there be a sonic improvement as well?

Based on my experience with the TNT Mk5 bearing with the heavy stainless steel retaining donut, it will be a sonic upgrade. The theory is the greater the mass of the bearing, the greater the ability to damp and "sink" micro vibrations and reduce bearing noise.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jmk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:38 pm

Great! I took a quick look at the undercarriage of my Classic three and had an instant case of donut envy! Mine has a little dark donut that is a little sad looking compared to that beautiful stainless donut. My turntable is higher than most-at eye level on a solidsteel shelf. Now that little dark donut is all I see! Ignorance was truly bliss!
VPI Classic 3 w/ Soundsmith zephyr mk 2+SDS, Parasound Halo JC3+ Phono pre,Woo Audio WA22 balanced headphone amp with Audeze LCDX-C PHONES, VPI Cyclone and 16.5 rcm. Also original scout
jmk

Postby Harry » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Next month we will satisfy your case of donut envy!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby jmk » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks Harry- you are truly the best!
jmk

Postby powers2020 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks Harry. Will the Donut fit the Primes that shipped with the Classic bearing as well? Thanks!
powers2020

Postby Harry » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:25 am

We need to make different doughnuts for different cases but if you guys really want it I will make it and you can have it for cost plus 10% to cover the loss of time needed. BTW, they are aluminum, the really large nice looking ones, if that was stainless it would cost an arm and a leg. let me know if you want them is stainless steel or aluminum??? I'll be away next week, have to warm up, then the first week in Feb. I will get this rolling.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Brf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Harry wrote:let me know if you want them is stainless steel or aluminum??? I'll be away next week, have to warm up, then the first week in Feb. I will get this rolling.
HW

Hi Harry, I hope you are well rested from your vacation. I am not sure if you want us to post publicly or send you a PM regarding the retaining donut. In any event, I would like to initiate the process of obtaining a stainless steel retaining nut for a Classic bearing mounted in a TNT plinth.

Ideally, I would like a 4" diameter SS donut with a ground tap screw (just like the TNT MKV bearing nut).

Let me know if you need prepayment and/or additional info. Thx!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:46 pm

I am back but getting over walking pneumonia, thank you Leo ( been with me 25 years!!) who did not take off on his sick day!!! Actually made 5 of us sick, I got it the worst.

Anyone who wants the aluminum doughnuts (not SS, way to expensive and sounds exactly the same) needs to send me a picture of what they have under the table and I can make them for you. Cost is not bad, probably about $35.00.

HW
Harry
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner