Pure Audio Trio 15TB

Pure Audio Trio 15TB

Postby Orchids1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:15 am

Harry, You mentioned in the Vas Nova thread that you’re now running the Trio 15TB, which I’d not been aware of before. I gather from your reference to them in the VAS thread that you are quite pleased with their sound. Anyone looking at the Pure Audio Website will be impressed with the unique looks and techical innovations incorporated throughout their speaker line and with their almost shockingly low prices. Pure Audio speakers don’t seem to have been the subjects of many reviews, but the reviews I did find were very favorable.

I’d appreciate it if you could give us your impressions of the Trio. I believe that the KEF Blade 2, itself a great speaker, was your personal choice for some time. I’d be interested to know how you compare the two.

I’ve noticed that, over the last several years, a growing number of relatively inexpensive and moderately priced speakers have achieved levels of sonic performance in many ways comparable, and in a few ways superior, to the massive, very expensive speakers that previously laid exclusive claim to those performance levels. Some of these new speakers (for example, the Wilson Sabrina) are the beneficiaries of trickle-down technology, while others, such as the Kii 3 and, perhaps, the Pure Audio speakers, are based on their own unique designs and audio technology innovations. I find these breakthrough speakers quite interesting.

Regards, Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Re: Pure Audio Trio 15TB

Postby Harry » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Of course you are completely correct, trickle down has really changed the landscape, but so has disruption.

I have the Pure Audio Trio-15 Tang Ban and the Quintet 15 Pap- horn. BTW, both speakers cost less than a good set of cables!!!!!!!

The Trio 15 TB is so good and I was having so much fun driving them with 20 watt tube and solid state amps I had to try the Quintet when it became available. Breathtaking, in all ways, especially in raising hair on the back of your neck.

We normally use the KEF Blades, (not the 2's but they sound the same) the JBL Everest's, and the Genesis Maestros as the high end speakers. The Quintet 15 is as good as any of them just in different ways. The Trios and Quintets breath, there open baffle woofers are just amazing in the ability to reproduce a double bass as it would sound in a room. Very highly recommended.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:55 am

A seven foot tall, two way, $10,000 speaker is for, those reasons alone, unique. But, the reviews of the Quintet 15, which coincide with your description, report that it is sonically a very special speaker that connects with the listener in some lovely ways. It looks like the Pure Audio line has a place among the new, breakthrough speakers we’ve mentioned. I’ll have to try to track them down, and give them a listen. By the way, I think the Quintets have a great look that is an extension of the scuptural, industrial styling of your newer Avengeresque tables. Best, Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Harry » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:46 pm

What is amazing for me is that every woman, wife, girlfriend, etc. who has come in the house and seen them has fallen in love with them. It seems to have a 100% wife acceptance factor which no speaker I have ever owned has come close to that.

Besides, it sounds terrific.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby twentyhertz » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:52 pm

I have got to stop looking at Harry’s corner, I keep finding things I want. Having just had my mind blown by my large driver/high efficiency/horn speakers (Klipsch Cornwalls) after years of using low efficiency pinpoint imaging monitor type speakers, I’m super intrigued by these. I bought some old German fullrange drivers to experiment with OB but the killer design of these (including the modular nature which is brilliant), the glowing reviews and the seriously affordable price has me looking to sell some stuff to get a pair..
twentyhertz

Postby Harry » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:02 am

The modular thing is really amazing. I have tried the Tang Ban and the PAP-1 horn in the same setup and it is really fun to play.
Harry
Admin

Postby Gary1955 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi Harry, can you post a photo of the speakers? Not familiar with them.
Thanks.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby Gary1955 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:02 am

Thank you Seamonster, these speakers look amazing! Love to hear them with the horns...
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby Harry » Sun May 06, 2018 8:46 pm

I just listened to Gary Karr and his 400 year old contra-bass playing Bloch: Kol Nidrei and I have goose bumps. These speakers literally disappear and you are with an organ and bass in your listening room and sounding like it is really there!!!!!

They are being driven by a pair of Mike Bettinger 20 watt custom solid state amps and they can shake the entire house but so cleanly you can feel the strings vibrating.

Still feeling it.

HW
Harry
Admin

Next

Return to Harry's Corner