PS AUDIO PHONO

Re: PS AUDIO PHONO

Postby thegage » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 pm

Getting back to the original topic, I just received a Stellar Phono, and am partnering it with a Grado Reference 3. Out of the box the Stellar is just amazing. As most reviews have noted, the midrange is to die for, and the rest is very balanced. I had a PS Audio GCPH for years, and the Stellar is light years beyond it in performance. I can only guess at how it sounds with the Grado Epoch that Harry has. On the ordering side the website noted there could be a two- to three-week delay in shipping, but mine went out the same day. The trade-in option is a no-brainer, as I got a $750 credit for an old PS Audio DAC that had been sitting in a closet for twenty years. As I am typing this I'm listening to k.d. lang's Ingenue and keep getting distracted by the sound.

JohnK
TNT 2, Classic platter, Periphery Ring, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Fatboy 12 Gimbal, SDS, Grado Reference 3 wood, PS Audio Stellar Phono, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium pre, PrimaLuna Evo 300 amp, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth sub
thegage

Postby gene9p » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 am

Congrats!!!....I made the tough decision to sell the Manley Chinook.The P S is that good. I grabbed mine from a seller locally with a build date of 2019 so still under warranty which is transferable. I still have an SS Boheme set up but I have a brand new AIDA still in the box awaiting it's set up. I had an Aida a few years ago, with the wood body. Missed it...lol.I traded in a few items and bought a new one that arrived a week ago but haven't set it up yet.With the black background, music seems to be floating in the air from the PS phono.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT, CLASSIC 3 ARM, HW-40 feet
VPI SDS
Soundsmith Boheme
P S Audio Phono
Vinnie Rossi LIO
Parasound A23+
Krell CD
Bryston BDA-1
Snell JIV spkrs
Triode Wire Labs + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
Wayne's outer ring
gene9p

Postby gene9p » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:41 pm

The Mac 2300 came Sunday morning..nice surprise since it was due Tuesday. I did a quick rewire and set up..terrific sound. I have to check what tubes are in there..definitely should have done that first thing..lol. Whatever tubes are in there sound super. The P S and the Mac are working magic via the RCA's, I will be trying the balanced as well later on. The Mac is also sounding terrific with the A23+. My previous Mac, C220 tube preamp. performed great with a Para A21. I was hoping for this to happen with the Pass xp-10 but that's how it goes sometimes. Anyway I am all smiles right now....
thumbnail.jpgMC1.jpg
thumbnail.jpgMC1.jpg (93.65 KiB) Viewed 299 times
VPI SDS
Soundsmith Boheme
P S Audio Phono
Vinnie Rossi LIO
Parasound A23+
Krell CD
Bryston BDA-1
Snell JIV spkrs
Wayne's outer ring
gene9p

Postby miner » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:17 pm

Gene,
I highly recommend you try the phono section of the C2300 - it plays way above many phono stages. I had a Manley Chinook SE previously and ended up preferring the Mc onboard stage, especially with the on the fly remote controlled settings for the pf and ohms.
McIntosh C2300 pre; two McIntosh MC275 MkVI mono amps; Bryston BCD-3 CDP; VPI Aries 3 with 3D Fatboy arm and Ort. Cadenza Black MC cartridge; PS Audio P5 reg.; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Sf Electa Amator III; Sf Gravis II sub
miner

Postby gene9p » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:42 pm

Thanks..I actually tried the MM input, I traded in my Hana MC recently so I am out of any MC cartridges...The MM sounds really good. I just sold my Manley Chinook when I decided to keep the P S. The MM on the Mac has a smaller tight sound stage compared to the P S but the sweet sound is a nice surprise as I felt the MM on my C220 of the past was ok and was easily replaced by the Chinook. The P S actually sounds better via the RCA's than the balanced outputs when connected to the Mac just the opposite of the LIO. I plan to roll the tubes in the Mac in a while so the sound of things will change a bit.
VPI SDS
Soundsmith Boheme
P S Audio Phono
Vinnie Rossi LIO
Parasound A23+
Krell CD
Bryston BDA-1
Snell JIV spkrs
Wayne's outer ring
gene9p

Postby suntea » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:37 pm

gene9p wrote:Thanks..I actually tried the MM input, I traded in my Hana MC recently so I am out of any MC cartridges...The MM sounds really good. I just sold my Manley Chinook when I decided to keep the P S. The MM on the Mac has a smaller tight sound stage compared to the P S but the sweet sound is a nice surprise as I felt the MM on my C220 of the past was ok and was easily replaced by the Chinook. The P S actually sounds better via the RCA's than the balanced outputs when connected to the Mac just the opposite of the LIO. I plan to roll the tubes in the Mac in a while so the sound of things will change a bit.

I am considering the PS Audio to mate with my C2300. Still sounding good to you as a combination? How did you make out with the tubes on the C2300?

PS - I just changed my 12AX7 C2300 line stage NOS Mullards for Tung Sol and the Tung Sol have a great mid range. Thanks for all the postings on this subject.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3,Ortofon quint Brnz,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby gene9p » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:57 pm

I ordered some of the new issue 12x7 gold pin Tungsols that will be arriving Monday. In the mean time I placed some very old 5751 Tung sols in the line stage and some JAN GE 5751's in the MM stage. Both sets sound better than the Mac tubes that were in there but the Macs weren't bad either. I'm still baffled as to why the Balanced interconnect from the PS doesn't sound as good as the unbalanced. It was just the opposite with the LIO and both were actually great but the balanced had a wider sound stage. With the Mac the balanced is lower in volume, should be louder/hotter and sound overall is only ok.The unbalanced on the Mac from the P S is smooth, very nice bass , very much like but not as good as when connected to the LIO. I checked the Mac input settings and they haven't been altered, and I am using the same cables as with the LIO, Triode Wire Labs Spirit, balanced XLR and Spirit unbalanced RCA. The balanced output from my DAC has no decrease in volume and when I swap inputs on the Mac, the P S balanced is still low. I keep the gain on the P S at medium which is the same for both outputs so I gotta shoot this problem for sure. The Jan GE 5751's sound really good in the MM stage when I connect directly to the Mac.Right now I can honestly say the the PS connected to the LIO is head and shoulders better than connected to the Mac. let's see what happens when the new Tung Sols arrive and if I can find the solution to the balanced connection volume issue.

ps: the tungsols and Jan Ge 5751's were sold to me by the guy I bought my Mac C220 from. The sets were tested and pair matched by him who is /was quite a tube guy. When I sold the C220, I sold the two sets of Genalex Gold pin Gold Lions I had as well..ugh .
VPI SDS
Soundsmith Boheme
P S Audio Phono
Vinnie Rossi LIO
Parasound A23+
Krell CD
Bryston BDA-1
Snell JIV spkrs
Wayne's outer ring
gene9p

Postby Brf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:13 am

I have not looked at the PS phono stage specifications, but in many instances, xlr outputs are included for convenience and do not always represent that the unit has a dual differential balanced design, but merely a single ended circuit with the xlr pin 1 and 3 tied together. If this is the case you will not experience a voltage gain with a xlr output and the signal may be going through additional circuitry in your Mac with no benefit.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby gene9p » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 am

Thanks...

I am comparing to how the PS sounded when hooked up to the LIO as well as the Pass Labs xp-10 and my past experience with xlr in puts always hotter/louder. The P S is true balanced if I remember correctly. So is the Pass but the Mac isn't from what I have read nor is the LIO which I know for a fact. Something to keep me busy..lol..Tung Sols out for delivery today !!
VPI SDS
Soundsmith Boheme
P S Audio Phono
Vinnie Rossi LIO
Parasound A23+
Krell CD
Bryston BDA-1
Snell JIV spkrs
Wayne's outer ring
gene9p

Postby gene9p » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:24 pm

I grabbed a used A21 amp in excellent condition and swapped it out for the A23+. Gotta tell you, the build quality on the new A23+ is excellent and the sound was top notch. That being said , the A21 still is as good as I remember when I first had one and is quite superior. The Mac, the A21, the Tung sol tubes and the PS are rocking. Now if only the AVA amp would get here I can put my spring madness to bed..lol

4/22..just got shipment notice from VA....lol...my aching back
VPI SDS
Soundsmith Boheme
P S Audio Phono
Vinnie Rossi LIO
Parasound A23+
Krell CD
Bryston BDA-1
Snell JIV spkrs
Wayne's outer ring