Rim Drive? To be or not to be (for me)?

Re: Rim Drive? To be or not to be (for me)?

Postby jpb6061 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:03 pm

How did you order a rim drive? I've been trying without success, from Sean, Mat, and then Harry for many moons with no joy.

I've been patient due to Covid-19!

JB
jpb6061

Postby jb2455 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Avenger Rim Drive with the Walker PMC? Do you know if they are compatible? thanks!

jb
jb2455

Postby vienna acoustics » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:48 am

Brf wrote:I am a very long term rim drive user and that is my preferred drive system. A rim drive does have a steeper learning curve than a belt drive system but imho, the effort is well rewarded.

With respect to seating the rim drive belt. Lubricate the rim drive head’s recessed race with some soapy water and place the rim drive belt into some hot soapy water. Place the warm soapy belt onto the rim drive head. The soapy water will help release belt tension thus allowing the belt to relax into the groove with a uniform tension. Set the motor controller to 45rpm and press the rim drive against the platter for 15 min to seat the belt. Once the soapy water has dried, simply wipe the rim belt with iso alcohol. Do not powder the rim drive belt

Hi Brent, do you have experience with the current (new) rim drive?
!
vienna acoustics

Postby Brf » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:53 am

vienna acoustics wrote:
Brf wrote:I am a very long term rim drive user and that is my preferred drive system. A rim drive does have a steeper learning curve than a belt drive system but imho, the effort is well rewarded.

With respect to seating the rim drive belt. Lubricate the rim drive head’s recessed race with some soapy water and place the rim drive belt into some hot soapy water. Place the warm soapy belt onto the rim drive head. The soapy water will help release belt tension thus allowing the belt to relax into the groove with a uniform tension. Set the motor controller to 45rpm and press the rim drive against the platter for 15 min to seat the belt. Once the soapy water has dried, simply wipe the rim belt with iso alcohol. Do not powder the rim drive belt

Hi Brent, do you have experience with the current (new) rim drive?

Ive helped to set up a few in person and had an Avenger Reference with rim drive in my system (friends) for a week. Personally, I like the older Hrx rim drive assembly over the newer design for many reasons. Most notably the higher mass of the entire unit, including a more massive flywheel rim drive head unit and the rigidity of the entire assembly. Imho, the hrx rim drive was made to a higher tolerance and a simpler design.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jb2455 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:58 am

Hi jbp6061,

i called the VPI office and spoke with Dennis. They now have the Rim Drive in stock for the Avenger..

jb2455
jb2455

Postby tony22 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Interesting. See, this is where I’d appreciate having Mat or Harry jump in to help us understand what decisions they made when designing the Avenger rim drive.
Pass XP-20 & XP-17, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, Audience and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Brf » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:37 pm

tony22 wrote:Interesting. See, this is where I’d appreciate having Mat or Harry jump in to help us understand what decisions they made when designing the Avenger rim drive.

I know that one of the new design considerations was making the new rim drive more user friendly, therefore, incorporating an adjustable internal sled to allow for easier fine adjustments.
Brf
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner