What have you been doing the last 4 months?

What have you been doing the last 4 months?

Postby Harry » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:27 pm

I have been on a tear copying my 7" 2 track and 4 track reel to reel tapes at 24-96 from a custom modified Teac 2000 coming off the heads to a Marantz 7 with tape head input. Amazing results! So if anyone is having a hard time finding good reel to reel tapes let me know before I put them on E-Bay. They are all mint.

HW
Harry
Admin

Re: What have you been doing the last 4 months?

Postby Packgrog » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:47 pm

You'd think that I'd be going nuts archiving my vinyl to digital during the lockdown. But no. I'm so worn out after my work day (and from keeping up with the news) that I have no will left to mess with my audio equipment. I barely listen to music at all anymore, now that I don't commute to the office. Repainting my bathroom yesterday was a rare opportunity to listen to headphones.

I'm an introvert. I quite relish being able to mostly just stay home. But everything going on in the outside world right now really wears you down.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby steveo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:58 pm

I’ve been enjoying my Paua and Sussurro carts.
800 ohms thru my Pass Xp17 (VPI Prime).
VPI Prime
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Technica ART-7
Pass Labs XP-17 phono stage
Cary Audio 360-SACD
Cary Audio SLI-80 F1 Direct-coupled
Thiel CS 2.2 Loudspeakers
Audioquest Colorado/Columbia interconnects
Radio Shack 12 gauge zip cord speaker cable
steveo

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:55 pm

1. Installed HW40 feet on my Prime.
2. Upgraded (diy) Prime bearing to ceramic ball and sapphire disc.
3. Upgraded (diy) Second pivot to a ruby ball to plate contact.
4. Expiermented with Prime motor damping by adding rotational mass.
5. Continued testing of record damping sandwich under custom clamping device (Bill’s device and diy).
6. Improved CD player playback with original Prime feet.
7. Procrastination of old record cleaning (sad to say, they don’t get played).
8. Recorded more sides using Audicity to laptop.
9. Cleaned speaker fuses (previous hand Polished contacts) and added more damping tape to them
10. Added a mdf plate under my TT platform.
Mr_Putty

Postby Dorian » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:03 pm

steveo wrote:I’ve been enjoying my Paua and Sussurro carts.
800 ohms thru my Pass Xp17 (VPI Prime).

Which do you prefer, the Paua or Sussuro and what were you using beforehand? I love my MIMC Star but curious about both the Paua and Sussuro.
VPI Prime & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF Reference 1 | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby steveo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:11 am

I prefer the Sussurro to the Paua, but love them both. The former has more detail and is livelier than the latter; more hall ambiance, instruments sound more real, spooky at times.

I was using an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze before, and the Paua bests it in every way (comparing prices, it should). The Paua is smoother compared to the Sussurro, but it has considerably more detail than the Cadenza Bronze.

I highly recommend both, and given the fact that you can get a Paua for about 700.00 more than the Bronze, it's an amazing bargain.
VPI Prime
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Technica ART-7
Pass Labs XP-17 phono stage
Cary Audio 360-SACD
Cary Audio SLI-80 F1 Direct-coupled
Thiel CS 2.2 Loudspeakers
Audioquest Colorado/Columbia interconnects
Radio Shack 12 gauge zip cord speaker cable
steveo

Postby Dorian » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:29 am

steveo wrote:I prefer the Sussurro to the Paua, but love them both. The former has more detail and is livelier than the latter; more hall ambiance, instruments sound more real, spooky at times.

I was using an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze before, and the Paua bests it in every way (comparing prices, it should). The Paua is smoother compared to the Sussurro, but it has considerably more detail than the Cadenza Bronze.

I highly recommend both, and given the fact that you can get a Paua for about 700.00 more than the Bronze, it's an amazing bargain.

Thanks for the info. SS carts are 25% off at Eluisve Disc now so I am tempted....!
VPI Prime & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF Reference 1 | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Pythonman » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:34 am

Had knee surgery in May so I’ve been laid up and doing a lot of therapy. On the stereo front I got some Focal Aria 948 speakers and I got a nice butcher block and isolation feet under the Prime. It cut the already quiet playback noise to practically nothing.
VPI Prime, Hana SH, Koetsu Black, Pass Labs X250, Parasound A21, Parasound P5, Parasound JC3+, Focal Aria 948s
Pythonman

Return to Harry's Corner