The Lemo connector blows away RCA and XLR connectors

Re: The Lemo connector blows away RCA and XLR connectors

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:19 pm

Mike,
My thoughts on soldering:

Clean all connections, including solder and all wire with alcohol before soldering. Wiping the solder can remove oxidation and dirt you do not want in the joint. Firm pressure while pulling a alcohol-wet paper towel across solder works well.

Find a way to stabilize the intended joint so it will not move, especially while cooling.

Do not blow on the new connection to cool it. Let it rest until just warm.

Use a good ELECTRICAL paste flux or liquid flux on the connection before soldering, even if the solder says it has flux in it. Be sure any solder with flux is made for electrical work.

Work in a small paint booth with the exhaust fan on. This works great and protects your lungs. Another option would be to have a helper provide fresh air with a portable hair dryer.

Remove any remaining flux from the finished connection. Alcohol and a dedicated tooth brush works well as do commercial flux removers.

Work in a well lighted area, you are going for the best connection possible!

Do not bend the connection after soldering. Use backup pliers if something must be adjusted.

When you think the solder is “just right” give it a little more time to settle in before removing heat.

If the connection looks bad clip the wires and start over or use a solder wick to remove any solder. The first is usually the quickest.

Unless you solder on a regular basis choose the heat source and make some tests on scrap wire. You need a good sense of timing to get the best result. Excessive heat is not recommended. Nor are battery powered irons or mini gas torches. (others may disagree)

When you are ready to get serious, have a damp sponge handy to clean the heating tip.

If the final connection is not shiny you have a bad joint.

If you are going to use heat shrink tubing, put it on before making any connections.

Solder guns (like a Weller) can be used but will be harder to control than a straight solder iron.

Its not rocket science!

You can do it!
Mr_Putty

Postby Harry » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 pm

Good point, a straight soldering iron, not a gun usually does a better job unless you are soldering welding cable.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Lewisranchmike » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:20 pm

Hello Guys. Thank you for EXCELLENT soldering advice. I opened Junction Box and disassembled tip of audio cable to gauge scope of project. In parallel I have also purchased 24AWG OFC(oxygen free copper) silver coated wire by a company called Nerve Audio. I would like to ask the following:

1) I might get a better solution if I just solder four individual strands directly to Lemo connection and then the other ends directly to preamp inputs inside chassis. I have looked and they are quite accessible. Thereby completely bypassing all RCA connections. I would like to do this on a seperate Lemo connector so I could go back and forth between VPI Junction Box based Lemo/RCA connector OR seperate Lemo to 24AWG based interconnect. I could solder the 24AWG directly inside preamp and run it up to Junction Box with a seperate Lemo connector So if I desire I can use Lemo connector to Lemo coming off 3D Arm or store it inside preamp and go back to RCA based Junction Box solution if you see what I mean.

2) Does anyone know the part number for Lemo Connector so I can order a seperate Lemo connector I can wire 24AWG wire to? This would be the same connector that is used inside junction box.

3) May I ask if I have made a wise choice in 24 AWG OFC silver coated? I am not familiar with Nerve Audio. I purchased it from VHAudio, a component supplier. I would like to use the Nordost but I do understand that it may not be available for a bit due to Covid. Are there other wires I should be using or is 24AWG a good choice?

4) Do I need to weave the ground and signal together for noise reasons for the length or just run them straight
Any thoughts?

As always all comments appreciated:0)

Best,

Mike In Austin
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Brf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 am

Lewisranchmike wrote:1) I might get a better solution if I just solder four individual strands directly to Lemo connection and then the other ends directly to preamp inputs inside chassis. I have looked and they are quite accessible. Thereby completely bypassing all RCA connections. I would like to do this on a separate Lemo connector so I could go back and forth between VPI Junction Box based Lemo/RCA connector OR separate Lemo to 24AWG based interconnect. I could solder the 24AWG directly inside preamp and run it up to Junction Box with a separate Lemo connector So if I desire I can use Lemo connector to Lemo coming off 3D Arm or store it inside preamp and go back to RCA based Junction Box solution if you see what I mean.

This is what I would do.

1) Remove the existing Lemo connector and RCA plugs from the junction box. Depending on the exact Lemo used, it typically can be removed without unsoldering any of the connections. This way, if you do not like the results of your modification, you can easily reverse the experiment

2)Purchase a replacement female Lemo connector (part # ECG.0B.304) and install it in your existing junction box. I would not connect the male tonearm Lemo to the female Lemo without the junction box due to the weight of the connectors. You need the junction box to support the connector weight. Solder the wire of choice to the female Lemo connector. Soldering to the preamp is a matter of your comfort level

Lewisranchmike wrote:2) Does anyone know the part number for Lemo Connector so I can order a separate Lemo connector I can wire 24AWG wire to? This would be the same connector that is used inside junction box.

Male: FGG-0B-304
Female: ECG.0B.304

Lewisranchmike wrote:3) May I ask if I have made a wise choice in 24 AWG OFC silver coated? I am not familiar with Nerve Audio. I purchased it from VHAudio, a component supplier. I would like to use the Nordost but I do understand that it may not be available for a bit due to Covid. Are there other wires I should be using or is 24AWG a good choice?

I am not familiar with that wire

Lewisranchmike wrote:4) Do I need to weave the ground and signal together for noise reasons for the length or just run them straight
Any thoughts?

Weave the cable. Loose braid works best
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:30 pm

Brf wrote:
Lewisranchmike wrote:1) I might get a better solution if I just solder four individual strands directly to Lemo connection and then the other ends directly to preamp inputs inside chassis. I have looked and they are quite accessible. Thereby completely bypassing all RCA connections. I would like to do this on a separate Lemo connector so I could go back and forth between VPI Junction Box based Lemo/RCA connector OR separate Lemo to 24AWG based interconnect. I could solder the 24AWG directly inside preamp and run it up to Junction Box with a separate Lemo connector So if I desire I can use Lemo connector to Lemo coming off 3D Arm or store it inside preamp and go back to RCA based Junction Box solution if you see what I mean.

This is what I would do.

1) Remove the existing Lemo connector and RCA plugs from the junction box. Depending on the exact Lemo used, it typically can be removed without unsoldering any of the connections. This way, if you do not like the results of your modification, you can easily reverse the experiment

2)Purchase a replacement female Lemo connector (part # ECG.0B.304) and install it in your existing junction box. I would not connect the male tonearm Lemo to the female Lemo without the junction box due to the weight of the connectors. You need the junction box to support the connector weight. Solder the wire of choice to the female Lemo connector. Soldering to the preamp is a matter of your comfort level

Lewisranchmike wrote:2) Does anyone know the part number for Lemo Connector so I can order a separate Lemo connector I can wire 24AWG wire to? This would be the same connector that is used inside junction box.

Male: FGG-0B-304
Female: ECG.0B.304

Lewisranchmike wrote:3) May I ask if I have made a wise choice in 24 AWG OFC silver coated? I am not familiar with Nerve Audio. I purchased it from VHAudio, a component supplier. I would like to use the Nordost but I do understand that it may not be available for a bit due to Covid. Are there other wires I should be using or is 24AWG a good choice?

I am not familiar with that wire

Lewisranchmike wrote:4) Do I need to weave the ground and signal together for noise reasons for the length or just run them straight
Any thoughts?

Weave the cable. Loose braid works best

AWSOME!!!

That is the info I need. I will order Lemo ASAP.

Thx,

Mike
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME0:)

Postby Lewisranchmike » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:15 pm

Hello Guys:

I decided to move forward with removing RCA from Junction Box and modifying Audio Sensibility cable to go,direct to Lemo. Sound is FANTASTIC. Even before premap warmed up you could hear extended range and timbre in Voice. I started with a 1/2 Speed Master of Joni Mitchell Court and Spark. BTW DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME:0) For me it was at the outside end of my tech ability. Had some challenges soldering to such a small target. When I opened cables I noted that Signal Ground and cable shield were both soldered to body of RCA jack so soldered them together at Lemo ground signal. I hesitate to show picture of my solder work, it is not my crowning achievement but joints must be good, also no noise issue. THANK HARRY for sharing this upgrade. As I close I am on side 2 and I am very familiar with this album and it has never sounded better.

Mike In Austin
Attachments
D678464A-5A7E-4196-B614-3975E7A8D304.jpeg
D678464A-5A7E-4196-B614-3975E7A8D304.jpeg (29.05 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Lewisranchmike

Postby Brf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:19 am

Nice job Mike. What did you decide for the phono stage connection?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Lewisranchmike » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 am

Brf wrote:Nice job Mike. What did you decide for the phono stage connection?

Hello BRF.

THANKS FOR ALLL HELP AND GUIDANCE!!!

Audio Sensibility cables still has RCA on preamp end. I am going to keep this in place and enjoy and get used to this sound and setup. This is per my original plan. I ALSO am going to get separate Lemo and do a direct wire to points inside preamp. I am still in the process of getting Lemo. BTW was I correct in soldering Signal Ground and Shield together? It appears again they were for all purposes wired to the same point on RCA frame.

Best,

Mike
Lewisranchmike

Postby Harry » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:47 am

If this virus ever passes and we get back to manufacturing again we will make these changes available but for now you are on your own so only do things that can be undone if you damage anything. We will have Lemo connectors available once we get up and rolling again.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby MOON » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:53 am

Perhaps with the new Nordost phono cable VPI will be selling in the future they could have an option of buying the cable with it attached already to the lemo, jcomplete junction box for those of us lacking the necessary skills to do the remodel. Harry, I guess we were thinking the exact same thing at the same time, lol.
Last edited by MOON on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Classic 4, 12"3d, hrx pulley, 3 belts, dual pivot, sds, Pneuance NP-2 Peunmatic footers, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution PS, Audio Sensibility silver statement cable, Tru lift & sweep
MOON

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner