Re: RIM DRIVE?

Postby tom collins » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:37 am

rd1.jpg
rd1
rd1.jpg (335.01 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
rd.jpg
rim drive
rd.jpg (400.87 KiB) Viewed 2114 times

You can hopefully see that the drive unit and platter are barely touching. I think that the quality of the drive o-ring is critical. In the past, when it was not set so well, you could see light through a gap in the interface each revolution.
Attachments
rd2.jpg
rd2.jpg (539.04 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, weight, 12.0, 12.7, 3d arms, SDS, SRA platform; Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, SS Gold Denon, Grado ME+ carts; Cary PH302/2 phono-pre; Cary 30i EL34 int. amp; Coincident Franks and preamp; Devore 88 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby vienna acoustics » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi Tom,

The RIM drive you own has nothing to do with the cheaper latest version.
Brent (BRF) has tremendous experience with this version.
My only suggestions for your version would be:
1. Definitely the EPDM belts for the motors and flywheel o ring
2. Si3N4 ball bearing and sapphire thrust. As far as I am aware of the fly wheel is of substantial mass thus depending on the operating hours you may have some bearing and peek thrust wear
!
vienna acoustics

Postby Brf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:05 pm

MMMC wrote:
Brf wrote:I’ve ran a VPI rim drive since they came out. I’ve owned and used both the single and dual motor rim drive.

Currently, I have both the dual motor belt flywheel and rim drive head units running on the magnetic drive platter. On occasion, I revert back to the belt drive unit just to validate my preference for the rim drive. The difference between the two drive units is not subtle. Yes, the rim drive takes more care and patience to correctly setup, but once you get the hang of it, you will never look back.

There is a lot of info on this forum with respect to rim drive set up tips and tricks.

Brf,

How long did it take for you, measured in days, weeks, or months, to dial in your initial rim drive setup, and was that experience with your HRX?

MMMC
PS.-Thanks for repairing the link in my Jimmy Cobb post.

It’s doesn’t take long to set up. Tom has provided some good advice. One thing worth mentioning is to make sure that the rim drive and platter are both 100% level to insure a linear transfer of power. On separate note, I’m not a big fan of the original feet on the rim drive. I have found great success using Stillpoints Ultra minis under the drive unit. Good luck
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tom collins » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:01 pm

my buddy and i set azimuth today for my 3d and bronze. the adjust plus has a feature that gives you the platter speed based on the 1000hz test tone. say what you want about the sds, but that unit held 1001 hz through 7 or 8 tests. when all said and done, i had to raise the cap so that the outriggers cleared the base and i ended up with the arm quite low. but, it really sounds right. that cadenza bronze is a great sounding cart. fast but relaxed.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, weight, 12.0, 12.7, 3d arms, SDS, SRA platform; Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, SS Gold Denon, Grado ME+ carts; Cary PH302/2 phono-pre; Cary 30i EL34 int. amp; Coincident Franks and preamp; Devore 88 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Stringreen » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:47 pm

I don't know why there is so much angst re rim drive setup. The only thing I had difficulty with was in rewiring the original motors to run backwards when converting from the belt to rim drive. (stupid wireing problem)...took a picture of the wires, Harry told me what to do and off it went. I replaced the belts once on the motors/rim drive, and never had any problems
Stringreen

Postby Okwute » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:51 pm

+1 on the rim drive setup. Following Brf's recommendations here and coupled with the Eden bearpaws for the drive motor that Stringreen suggested here as well in the forums, the rim drive is really not that difficult to set up. As a matter of fact, with time, you can pretty much feel how much of a kiss to give that platter. A hard squishy kiss definitely not the way to go. Planting that kiss on the smooth side of the platter rather then the fluted sections is the way to go. If you have one.. do not give up. You too can get the hang of it.

Since I have learned to set mine up, have not gone back to my single flywheel belt drive.. not even once. I just kept it as back up just in case. Once you figure it out... seriously it becomes much easier.

I have a ScoutMaster single flywheel rim drive.... The same steps apply to the double flywheel rim drive for the HRX as well.
ScoutMaster /10 in. 3D with ref wire, Vas Nova Sig, Stillpoints Ultra LP,Outer Ring,VPI Rim Drive, SDS,Classic Platter,Bearpaws,ModWright PH 150 Pre,LS 36.5 DM LS,Tube Transporter ,Vandy 5A,Clearday Dbl Shotgun, KWA 150 SE (Bridged Mono x2), VPI 16.5 RCM,
Okwute

Postby Stringreen » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:37 pm

The Superplatters where not perfectly round, which made the arm sway, as the rim pushed the platter as it was playing. The Classic is a much better platter as it is perfectly round and sounds much better, so there is no problem. If someone is still using the Superplatter and wants a cure for the problem, contact me sgreenp@msn.com
Stringreen

Postby tom collins » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:05 pm

I beg to differ about "all" super platters being out of round. There are many happy users. Part of what made the super expensive was the manufacturing process. Unless you have measured every single one out there, I don't see how you can make your claim.
tom collins

Postby Brf » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:36 pm

tom collins wrote:I beg to differ about "all" super platters being out of round. There are many happy users. Part of what made the super expensive was the manufacturing process. Unless you have measured every single one out there, I don't see how you can make your claim.

+1

As I have posted previously, I never had any issues using a rim drive with a Super Platter. There are always exceptions to the rule, but in this instance, I don’t believe this to be an universally accepted fact.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mr_Putty » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:40 am

Question for rim drive users,
Has anyone an opinion____secured the platter drive O-ring to its disc with thin superglue? A small dispenser tube should make a uniform application possible. This should make the drive O-ring more secure in placement and the belt a bit less squishy. I think this might improve small platter-speed stability. (i.e.) The tiny adjustments that ADS users talk about being difficult to measure. It would also be a reversible mod. If I had a rim drive.....
Mr_Putty

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner