HW's email!

HW's email!

Postby bdp24 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:18 am

Harry, me emails to you keep getting returned, stating that your email inbox is full. Is it just me?!
bdp24

Re: HW's email!

Postby Harry » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:17 am

It's you!! Seriously, I don't know why it is happening. Ask me the question here or call me at VPI Tuesday or Thursday.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby bdp24 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:03 am

Great Harry, will do.
bdp24

Postby bdp24 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi again Harry, Eric Jerde here. I am posting this here, as every email I send you gets returned as undeliverable. Perhaps your system has an anti-virus program, and my computer has a bug!

Anyway, quite a while back last year I sent you two complete TNT bearing assemblies (housing, spindle, ball bearing) that had worn ball bearing surfaces, ball bearings that I was unable to budge loose (I tried freezing, heating, tapping). After receiving them, you too were unable to dislodge the balls, so you had your machinist make a new bottom spindle for one of them (the spindle that was in the 1" threaded stainless steel housing), and installed it and one of the two Si3N4 ball bearings I sent along with the two bearing assemblies. Thanks again Harry! That bearing is now mounted on my Aries 1.

I then asked about getting from you a 1" threaded ss housing to replace the 1.25" aluminum housing (unthreaded, of course) for the other spindle I sent you. That bearing came with a TNT 3/4 platter I bought to install on my HW-19 Mk.3, in place of the stock platter. You informed me after a search that you came up empty handed, but that you were willing to do a small run of 1" ss housings. So I left my second spindle with you, and continued to look for a used ss housing as well. Well, I managed to find one, and as a bonus it came with a TNT-5 platter ;-) . Not surprisingly (hey, they're twenty years old!), the ball bearing in this assembly is very worn as well, and once again I was unable to dislodge it from the bottom of it's spindle.

So, finally, here's my question to you: May I send you this new spindle (along with it's 1" ss housing) for you to take a stab at? And if you too are unable to pry the ball bearing loose from the spindle, can I trouble you for another bottom spindle? If the second Si3N4 ball I sent you has gone missing (wouldn't be surprising---it's been a while!), I can send another. Let me know the $ amount you need from me, and I'll send payment. The 1.25" aluminum bearing assembly you still have (I hope!) can be shipped back to me as/is (no need for the ball bearing or spindle to be replaced on it) along with this 1" ss one after the work is done.

Thanks again Harry for going to all this trouble for me, I really appreciate it---Eric.
bdp24

Postby Harry » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:43 pm

No problem Eric, send it to me at VPI (make sure my name is on the box in big letters) and I will make it happen.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby bdp24 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Great, thanks Harry. I'll pack it up and get it to you---Eric.
bdp24

Postby bdp24 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:16 am

Hi again Harry. I'm calling to check in on the bearing, and I hope this sinking feeling I have is unwarranted. The USPS Priority Mail tracking number for the package containing the TNT-5 bearing (housing & spindle) I sent you last month states the following on the USPS website: "Your package was delivered at the front door or porch at 9:02 AM on January 17, 2020." I put on the box (both above and below the VPI address) "ATTN Harry Weisfeld." I sure hope you got it!

I'm not calling to see if any progress has been made, only to verify that you received the bearing. Thanks---Eric.
bdp24

Postby Harry » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:40 am

Sorry Eric, your package arrived but I was on my out to warm up in the sunny part of the country. Back now, freezing, and will deal with it next week.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby bdp24 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:57 am

Phew, what a relief! No hurry Harry, whenever you have the time to get to it is fine. And you still have the 1.25" aluminum housing/spindle I sent awhile back? That one you can return along with the threaded stainless bearing, as is unless the ball bearing will pop out of the bottom of the spindle easily. Thanks---Eric.
bdp24

Postby bdp24 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:40 am

Hi Harry, hope you and all the family are so far unaffected (and uninfected ;-) by the virus. Since you may be staying inside for awhile, is now a good time to bug you about the two TNT bearings I sent you for servicing (removal of the worn ball bearing and installation of the Si3N4 bb I sent along)? If it's going to be awhile until you are able to get to the bearing with a 1" stainless housing, perhaps I can have you send me the one with a 1.25" aluminum housing separately (that one can be returned without the bb replaced)? Let me know about related costs. Thanks---Eric.
bdp24

Next

Return to Harry's Corner