Pure Audio Project

Pure Audio Project

Postby adeep42 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:24 pm

Hello Harry,

I've been really interested in the PAP 15 Quintets since I first heard them at the NY Audio Show 3 years ago. Since then I've had several conversations with Zev. I wonder if you would comment on your thoughts re: the PAP horn vs. Voxative? I plan to run them with SET amplification and am currently considering Cary's SET integrated.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Alan
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Eden Sound TerraCone Footers
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Re: Pure Audio Project

Postby Harry » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:15 am

I have both and consider the horn perfect for rock and hard hitting music, it moves a lot of air, is crystal clear, and really worth the money. If you lean towards classical music or jazz I would get the Voxativ as it is smoother, very clean, very musical on strings, all the superlatives.
You cannot go wrong with either, and if you eventually get the McIntosh MEN-220 room correction/crossover you can literally tailor make the sound to match your room and get the crossover exactly right. But as is, the speaker is amazing either way you do it!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby adeep42 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Thank you Harry!!!!!!!!!!
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby adeep42 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:32 pm

Harry, I finally decided to bite the bullet and have placed my order for Quintet 15s with the Voxative AC-PiFe.Very curious if you're using IsoAccoustic Gaia with the PAPs.

Thanks and best regards,

Alan
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby Shep » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:50 pm

Not Harry, but I use IsoAcoustic Gaia III footers on my PAP Trio Horn1's and find them to be effective.
The sound is more cohesive and there a bit more "punch" in the lower mids & upper bass.
(Sorry for the size of the photo...just can't get the hang of posting photos here)
Attachments
DSC_1748.jpg
DSC_1748.jpg (9.5 MiB) Viewed 361 times
Prime Signature Rosewood; Fatboy Gimbal; Ortofon Windfeld Ti; B.M.C. MCCI Phono Pre
Shep

Postby adeep42 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi Shep,

Thanks for the input. I am currently using Gaia IIs under my Martin Logan Summit Xs. They do everything you say they do. I am totally turning around my system. Going to the PAP Quintets with Voxative and SET power. The Quintets are about 30 lbs heavier than the weight limits on my Gaia IIs. Switching to the Model 1s would add another $1200.00 cost. Totally worth it, but maybe I need to wait a bit. I'll use the IIs in the interim. Are one of the included bolts a fit for the PAPs or did you have to order a different size? I had to do that for the Martin Logans.

Thanks,

Alan
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby Shep » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:48 am

Hey Allen,

I'm not sure if the base for the Quintet frames is the same as the Trio but assuming it is, one of the screw sets provided (1/4" 20?) fit the Trio frame.
The Trio frame will accommodate either 3 or 4 feet and I think Zev' suggests 3 feet for the Trio. Again, not sure about the Quintet but if it's good with 3 feet that could save you a little $.
For what it's worth, I found the Leonidas X-over to be a substantial improvement over the standard X-O with the horn. The Leonidas is much smoother in my system and integration of the treble frequencies is more balanced. It's likely much different with the Voxative and SET amp but may be worth getting Zev's opinion re: any potential benefit.

Enjoy, they're brilliant speakers!
Prime Signature Rosewood; Fatboy Gimbal; Ortofon Windfeld Ti; B.M.C. MCCI Phono Pre
Shep

Postby Dorian » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Shep wrote:Not Harry, but I use IsoAcoustic Gaia III footers on my PAP Trio Horn1's and find them to be effective.
The sound is more cohesive and there a bit more "punch" in the lower mids & upper bass.
(Sorry for the size of the photo...just can't get the hang of posting photos here)

Great looking room you have there. Wish I had the space for a dedicated listening room like that!
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby mreeter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:05 am

Dorian wrote:
Shep wrote:Not Harry, but I use IsoAcoustic Gaia III footers on my PAP Trio Horn1's and find them to be effective.

Great looking room you have there. Wish I had the space for a dedicated listening room like that!

Very nice room indeed, I would imagine this set-up sounds amazing. I like the 45 degree corners.
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
ModWright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Brf » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:10 am

Shep, love your setup. Not sure about having your tube amp sitting on a sub woofer. Tubes are very sensitive to vibrations.
Brf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Harry's Corner