More on Electrical Tape

Re: More on Electrical Tape

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Here’s my latest version of the tape enhancement. (see photo) it uses much more tape than Harry’s, but looks like we are using the same type of tape. The round discs near the center are hard silicone (my guess) and were picked for their thickness. I found the layering shown is best for flattening warped records using the Prime clamp. More thickness near the center does not work nearly as well nor does less. I’m using two dimes held to a synthetic disc with modeling clay under the Prime clamp. I also have an alternative to the dimes that is promising but needs more testing. And the ideas just keep coming!
Happy listening!
Attachments
3F45638A-489B-48FB-9D1F-8C1D6FB6E5D6.jpeg
3M Friction tape
3F45638A-489B-48FB-9D1F-8C1D6FB6E5D6.jpeg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 3663 times
Mr_Putty

Postby mike_ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:27 pm

I've decided to give the HW method a shot on my Scout 1.1 and have been impressed with the results. I used friction tape with a slightly thinner width, assuming the platter on the table in the photo had a platter with a larger diameter.

I will be doing an A/B tonight with and without the stock delrin clamp + rubber washer. Interesting concept, will report back.

Unfortunatel, I just can't come to terms with adding the tape along the length of the tonarm and the arm base. I think form has a slight edge to function for my turntable in my case. I just love the aesthetic of my Scout the way it is.

If there was some sort of way of applying the tape to the tonearm and arm base in a more aesthetically pleasing way, I'd give that a shot. In fact, I may try to cut the tape so it looks a bit nicer, just to see if it works. After all, the friction tape is very easy to apply and remove, leaving no residue.

Thanks to everyone for posting all this info!
mike_

Postby LarryRS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:34 pm

Very quick question. For those of you using no mat and (maybe) tape on the platter, do you use the washer that VPI supplies under the VPI clamp (or record weight if you use that instead)? I know that the washer was not used in the VPI room at the last Capital Audio Fest on the tables being played there. Thanks for any input.

LarryRS
LarryRS

Postby Brf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:10 am

LarryRS wrote:Very quick question. For those of you using no mat and (maybe) tape on the platter, do you use the washer that VPI supplies under the VPI clamp (or record weight if you use that instead)? I know that the washer was not used in the VPI room at the last Capital Audio Fest on the tables being played there. Thanks for any input.

LarryRS

The washer is an integral part of the screw down reflex clamp's functionality, therefore, it should be employed whenever the screw down clamp is used.

Never use a washer with a record weight, it is not part of the design.

The friction tape has nothing to do with the reflex or record weight's function.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby LarryRS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:52 am

Brf wrote:
LarryRS wrote:Very quick question. For those of you using no mat and (maybe) tape on the platter, do you use the washer that VPI supplies under the VPI clamp (or record weight if you use that instead)? I know that the washer was not used in the VPI room at the last Capital Audio Fest on the tables being played there. Thanks for any input.

LarryRS

The washer is an integral part of the screw down reflex clamp's functionality, therefore, it should be employed whenever the screw down clamp is used.

Never use a washer with a record weight, it is not part of the design.

The friction tape has nothing to do with the reflex or record weight's function.

Brf,

Thanks very much.

LarryRS
LarryRS

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:33 am

I do not use the washer that was supplied with my Prime. I think it is too thick and has some coloration I do not like (rubber in general). I have also found that record mats have their own coloration, that work with some records and not on others. In general I think their purpose is to mitigate bearing noise and arm resonance. Their use depends on your situation and likes. Personally I prefer the friction tape with my VPI screw down clamp and modded disc. (See photo) I have described the use of a similar disc in another thread. The one shown is a variation I am testing that has eight balls. The sound is similar to a disc with four balls. Note the three dimes on one layer of friction tape near the spindle. Dimes seem to be made of three layers of metal. I think the layering is what makes them useful in this application (refraction of vibration through different media) Not shown are three small strips of friction tape on the side opposite the balls. I have used the four-ball disc successfully with three different record clamps, and I expect any variation on the disc will also be heard with my three clamps. I have also used a disc with four ceramic balls with good results. Most of the time I use a disc with the ball side down, but, as you may have guessed there are MANY variations that can be tried.
My motto is keep testing and listening.
Attachments
A4D2B5D0-2749-4E56-86A3-55CAEF0758FC.jpeg
Prime with friction tape and antiresonance disc
A4D2B5D0-2749-4E56-86A3-55CAEF0758FC.jpeg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 3325 times
Mr_Putty

Postby thesmurfsvillage » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:09 am

You guys probably already know about this, but Herbies Audio Lab sells one of the best mats you can buy for $60. Steve also sells a tone-arm damper (which is essentially just a smaller size of his tube dampers), that I have been using on my arm for years, and to great effect. In this hobby we have, his prices are cheap as dirt, and they are all very passive in their design--so very little sound coloration, similar to what I imagine this tape is doing..

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/turntable-mats

Mapleshade also sells (or used to) an LP decoupler, using their 'Nanomount' points. I actually have some between my head shell and cartridge, and remember them being a nice Improvement. Mapleshade is obviously more expensive, but, it works.

https://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Nanomo ... _c_64.html

I would be happy to try the tape, but having what's mentioned above, I'm not sure if there would be anything to gain. Good luck to all!
thesmurfsvillage

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:17 pm

On the subject of damping this is inexpensive and easy to hear. This is a Herbies Hal-o Jr. ic damping device on the lemo connector. Nice upgrade for peanuts.
Attachments
20191007_160207.jpg
20191007_160207.jpg (581.06 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Ayre Conditioned

Postby elader » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:54 pm

I am also using the Herbies mat and the tone arm damper on my aries 3d

thesmurfsvillage wrote:You guys probably already know about this, but Herbies Audio Lab sells one of the best mats you can buy for $60. Steve also sells a tone-arm damper (which is essentially just a smaller size of his tube dampers), that I have been using on my arm for years, and to great effect. In this hobby we have, his prices are cheap as dirt, and they are all very passive in their design--so very little sound coloration, similar to what I imagine this tape is doing..

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/turntable-mats

Mapleshade also sells (or used to) an LP decoupler, using their 'Nanomount' points. I actually have some between my head shell and cartridge, and remember them being a nice Improvement. Mapleshade is obviously more expensive, but, it works.

https://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Nanomo ... _c_64.html

I would be happy to try the tape, but having what's mentioned above, I'm not sure if there would be anything to gain. Good luck to all!
VPI Aries 3, Ortofon Cadenza red, VPI SDS, custom Cinemag SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, Primaluna Prologue 5
REGA Apollo R, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
elader

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner