IsoAcoustics Gaia III feet on my VPI HW19JR

Re: IsoAcoustics Gaia III feet on my VPI HW19JR

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:05 pm

As I'm rebuilding a HW-19 right now, I got to thinking about possibly using a set of Gaia III's upside down to replace the springs. My original plan was something similar to the VPI Rubber Isolator/Sorbothane setup or Herbies TenderFeet but this might be a better option. Since they have 1/4-20 threads and are just about the right height. :idea:

Thoughts?
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Ryan Speakers R630, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby bdp24 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 pm

spinblackcircle, look at my post on this thread back on May 17th ;-) . I just got a set of Townshend Seismic Pods for my Aries 1, and they are fantastic! But they are too tall to fit between the base and plinth in the HW-19, so the Gaia III may be the next best choice. I'm thinking about doing that myself, though I'm pretty happy with the SIMS Navcom Silencers that are there right now.
bdp24

Postby Glotz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:29 pm

I am doing / well into planning this exact project right now. I have the GAIA 3 right now next to my spikes (resting next to them slight higher than my inserted spikes), and using the isolators as replacements to the SIms Navcom Silencers (under my amp now) and the original sprung suspension. I've been looking at XL Tenderfeet (for years, not sure why I haven't pulled the trigger) and I do use other Herbies products elsewhere on the fully update Mk4 (missing only the Prime platter and bearing). The Navcom Silencers seem to do a slightly better job than the Isolators versus each other (several years with both installed at different times).

I will say this the GAIA's with a 1/8" thick washer over the top next to the existing spikes (and thereby defeating them), does substantially lower the noise floor (when listening to the side of the table's base / skirt), by more effectively disconnecting the turntable from the feet. This is critical (as even with the SAMA) if one uses a motor controller with 33.3rpm settings, the motor will cause a great deal more of internal vibration that is very hard to control without a granite or very thick (2") and inert sub-platform, the isolators will do only a moderate amount of damping (vs 45 settings or un-speed controlled motor vibration).

Truthfully, I'm sure the Isolator design came from the mini-TNT footers design and was a 'lark' in providing something to replace worn springs on a HW-19. That being said, it really wasn't that bad of an idea, as the Isolators are firm and screwed down. Compatible with the GAIA 3? Nope. Unless IsoAcoustics does 10-32 on the their threads and their distributor has left me hanging for 2 weeks on 2 requests to see if they make them.

I almost forgot that the spring or the Isolator base inserts are dual sided, 10-32 on one side and 1/4- 20 on the other... THAT is significant. Now I can purchase XL or Reg Tenderfeet with Hi End Booster Bases for the suspension (Herbie's products always find me impressed). My only issue is to figure out whether I need the XL or the Regular Extra Firm with the Hi End Booster Bases (too lazy to measure or more like I really don't want to disassemble my turntable again for the well over 50th time (in 30 years). Currently I have no original Mk2 or 3 parts in the turnable at all, except for the curved dustcover.

I can elaborate on a full Herbie's treatment for the HW-19 later (as well as my full breakdown of complete mods for the tt elsewhere, and if there's interest). I've spent a long time planning it, despite their low cost. (Other stuff took precedence before.)
Glotz

Postby Glotz » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Sorry, ignore the dual sided garbage above.. I must've been ill in the mind. No, still stuck with no correct screw insert for 10-32. Not real impressed with the distributor or the mfg. They seem not to care from the lack of email responses.

Yes, the 1/4-20" works very well with the GAIA 3 upside down, screw mounted into the HW-19 base (as suspension replacements). I used another 1/8" Herbies GB dot over the rubber ends of the GAIA, which, is a bit too high. Using it without is nigh-perfect. The exact 1.5" or 38mm of my Isolators (I added a metal washer as well as a 1/8" Grungebuster inch dot (see above)) is the same size of the Regular X-firm Tenderfoot with the Hi-End Booster base. The Xtall Xfirm would be 1cm too high.

Vibration is limited substantially, but not to supplant the Isolators in the same spot, or a new purchase of Herbie's Tenderfeet with Hi End Boosters. Perhaps have both the suspension and the footers, but $400 is a lot for the effort. I am still using the GAIA in the footer configuration, albeit without the proper mounting screws. The Herbies tenderfeet, boosters, assorted washers and dots show up this week.

This is still not a comprehensive list of mods, but it may come later.
Glotz

Postby Glotz » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:27 pm

Update-

IsoAcoustics is now making the 10-32 threaded inserts for the GAIA 3. Contacting IsoAcoustics directly is the only way to get quick, professional and comprehensive customer service. Sean at IsoAcoustics is very helpful, considerate and totally dedicated to helping customers!

Use the contact page, despite how retailers or others may direct customers to the distributor. (I have Sean's contact info if any are having issues.) They are currently making stock of the 10-32 locking threads for use with the HW-19 and will ship in the coming month or so.

The Herbie's Audio Lab suspension kit (XFirm, Regular height Tenderfeet with HE Booster Base- 38mm /1.5 inches total internal height as a replacement for VPI Isolators / sprung suspension ) should be here shortly.
Glotz

Postby kac » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Glotz:

I chanced on this forum and found your posting after the Isoacoustics GAIA III was suggested to me as an upgrade for my own VPI HW-19 Jr. turntable. My VPI has a Moerch UP-4 tonearm with a Sumiko Blue Point #2 cartridge. I replaced the original feet with a set from MNPCTech (briefly and favorably mentioned in a recent Michael Fremer article) but the GAIA III was suggested on audiogon.com as an additional enhancement. I gather these somehow replace the springs.

With that background, do you have contact information for Sean at Isoacoustics? I'm looking for simple, direct, step-by-step installation instructions and the correct thread (10/32, if I understand that correctly) so I can replace whatever needs to be replaced in the suspension, while still using the MNPCTech feet to support the 4 corners of the chassis.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Keith
kac

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner