VAS Nova vs Purple Heart

VAS Nova vs Purple Heart

Postby gar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi Harry,

I have read your view that the VAS Nova (0.4 mv, boron cantilever) and the Puple Heart are in the same sonic league but sound different. Could you give some insight into the different sounds of these two cartridges from your perspective?

BTW, I have a Classic Signature with the 10.5" 3D arm.

Much thanks!

-GAR
gar

Re: VAS Nova vs Purple Heart

Postby Lewisranchmike » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:27 pm

I have had both the VAS Nova (.4mV) and the Purple Heart. For me the VAS has even more detail and is a fast cartridge. Very responsive. The Purple Heart was my go to until I heard the VAS Nova. I moved forward with a (.25mV) VAS Nova because I was so pleased with the (.4mV).

Just my opinion,
Mike in Austin
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby 10ovr » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:23 pm

I my self have 4 VAS NOVAS lol,,Guess I like them,,,One thing to consiter is Steve backs his carts like no one else ,,I had one of Harrys carts HW.4 VAS NOVAS that the right channel was bad,,Sent Steve an Email on a sunday and he got back to me in 10 min, I sent it to him Monday,, He called me thursday and said one of the coil wires came off,, Could have been my doings and I told him I would pay to ship it back to me and he just said not to worry about it,,Got it back Monday and all is good,,,You don't run into that kind of customer service at all any more,,,, :D
10ovr

Postby Stringreen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

how about the ART 9 in comparison??
Stringreen

Postby thegage » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:08 am

10ovr wrote:I my self have 4 VAS NOVAS lol,,Guess I like them,,,One thing to consiter is Steve backs his carts like no one else ,,I had one of Harrys carts HW.4 VAS NOVAS that the right channel was bad,,Sent Steve an Email on a sunday and he got back to me in 10 min, I sent it to him Monday,, He called me thursday and said one of the coil wires came off,, Could have been my doings and I told him I would pay to ship it back to me and he just said not to worry about it,,Got it back Monday and all is good,,,You don't run into that kind of customer service at all any more,,,, :D

Agreed on the customer service side. The suspension on my HW Nova collapsed to one side, and Steve repaired in short order and without complaint.

John K.
TNT Jr, Classic platter, Eminent Technology ET-2, Hana ML, Moon 310LP, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Preamp, PrimaLuna ProLogue Five, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth
thegage

Postby tony22 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:54 am

thegage wrote:Agreed on the customer service side. The suspension on my HW Nova collapsed to one side, and Steve repaired in short order and without complaint.

John, I'm just curious - how did you determine this? Was there a visible change in how the cart seated itself on a record?
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby vienna acoustics » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 am

The late Kiseki production lacks severely of quality control and is characterized by the very poor after sales support.
I had to involve lawyers to get a replacement. The guy hasn’t any control on his production
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Vienna Acoustics,The Music, VPIAvengerReference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, AT ART 1000DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby tony22 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Unfortunately I can second what VA has said. I was lucky in that I was able to return my PH to the seller for a full refund. Mine had frequency response anomalies that I was fortunate to be able to have AJ van den Hul look at. His opinions was that the cartridge had a fundamental problem with its suspension or damping mechanism. I've heard the PH sound great, and I really wanted one for myself, but to me it wasn't worth the risk. I was very unhappy that I had to send it back.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Harry » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Cartridge comparisons are very difficult to do. The best way is to record them at 24-192 level matched on a test record and loaded to the mfg. recommendation. I do this all the time ans then do blind listening tests with my Wednesday night group. When no one knows what they are listening to the results are very sporadic except with the Atlas, everyone thinks that's the best.
The PH is wonderful and the ones I have owned and mounted have sounded great. The NOVA is a different animal, the NOVA sounds very much like live instruments at a concert hall, I love that, and use the NOVA when playing classical music, very real in an involving way. The ART-9 is completely different from either the PH or the NOVA, the ART-9 really digs deep into the groove and extracts a ton of info. Sometimes this can be a negative but on USC cleaned records and good recordings it can be a revelation.

Basically they all sound different. If you want to hear the difference come to the VPI house and I can mount them all for you.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby thegage » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 pm

tony22 wrote:
thegage wrote:Agreed on the customer service side. The suspension on my HW Nova collapsed to one side, and Steve repaired in short order and without complaint.

John, I'm just curious - how did you determine this? Was there a visible change in how the cart seated itself on a record?

The cantilever was skewed to one side, and upon closer examination it was clear that the "donut" at the base of the cantilever against which the coils rest was compressed (or "collapsed") on one side. I have a picture, but I don't have a photo account to link to.

John K.
TNT Jr, Classic platter, Eminent Technology ET-2, Hana ML, Moon 310LP, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Preamp, PrimaLuna ProLogue Five, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth
thegage

Next

Return to Harry's Corner