MULTIPLE BELTS

Re: MULTIPLE BELTS

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:02 am

Harry wrote:
The by product of this is a slightly higher noise level that, depending on your system, may not even be noticeable. on a pair of Voxativ 102 db efficient speakers you would have to make a choice but for any normal speaker it does not matter much.

HW

Or you can get the VPI magnetic drive platter and eliminate any worries of motor noise transfer.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:07 pm

Correct, the mag drive eliminates all belt noise and maintains perfect speed.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby tony22 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Harry, I'm measuring .06% W&F on my Avenger. Three belts, the heavy motor, no mag drive. About right? Too much?
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Brf » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:52 pm

tony22 wrote:Harry, I'm measuring .06% W&F on my Avenger. Three belts, the heavy motor, no mag drive. About right? Too much?

That’s something that I would not be concerned about nor give it a second thought.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 am

You are reading the error in the record not the table. We read off a magnetic head for the numbers as there is no record with the center hole accurate enough for this work.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby jpb6061 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:05 am

Harry wrote:You are not crazy, as the belt numbers go up the feeling of greater dynamic range goes up as you transfer more power from the motors to the platter keeping the rotation
stable as you run into difficult passages. Remember, you are using an AC motor that has no feedback loop so there is no waiting for correction, it just plows through.

The by product of this is a slightly higher noise level that, depending on your system, may not even be noticeable. on a pair of Voxativ 102 db efficient speakers you would have to make a choice but for any normal speaker it does not matter much.

HW

I cranked the level up and indeed, can hear a little motor noise, but only at what would be an unlistenable level. Can't get enough of listening now... played side one of "Graceland" last night and the dynamics are almost scary; lots of "jump" factor. I can also hear reverb tails, both artificial and natural, more clearly, and detect a little more precision in imaging and separation of sources in the soundstage.

Thanks again Harry for making this level of sound available to the masses!

JB
jpb6061

Postby tony22 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Harry wrote:You are reading the error in the record not the table. We read off a magnetic head for the numbers as there is no record with the center hole accurate enough for this work.

HW

That's funny. As I was doing the test I was noticing that the whole track body of the disk surface "wobble" slightly back and forth, like the disk was off center.
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Harry » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 am

Of the 10K records we own I'll bet 10 have the hole in the exact center.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby MMMC » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:16 pm

Harry wrote:You are not crazy, as the belt numbers go up the feeling of greater dynamic range goes up as you transfer more power from the motors to the platter keeping the rotation
stable as you run into difficult passages. Remember, you are using an AC motor that has no feedback loop so there is no waiting for correction, it just plows through.

HW

Harry,

Considering I'm the individual referenced who experienced the "additional belt" performance, it's comforting and confirming to see your remarks. The additional belt made a very immediate, and very noticeable improvement. Would it be worthwhile to offer a multiple belt pulley option for the Avenger and any other VPI turntables using the external motors?

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:27 am

MMMC wrote:
Harry,

Considering I'm the individual referenced who experienced the "additional belt" performance, it's comforting and confirming to see your remarks. The additional belt made a very immediate, and very noticeable improvement. Would it be worthwhile to offer a multiple belt pulley option for the Avenger and any other VPI turntables using the external motors?

MMMC

The HRX pulley should be used with a motor controller, therefore, IMHO, the HRX pulley option should be made available with the purchase of the ADS and not be tied to a particular table.
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner