Advice on possible upgrade to TNT-HRX please

Re: Advice on possible upgrade to TNT-HRX please

Postby Arsh » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Wow. A lot of suggestions there. So, I could get this TNT-HRX for $4k. I think it is the 12.7 arm. I have not seen it yet, so can’t conmebt on the bearings. Brf, do you think the bearings are likely to need replacement? I actually really like the acrylic platter sound, at least on my Scoutmaster. If I didn’t have to change the bearings or platter, I’d have to buy a new top platform for my rack to accommodate it and then get the 12” fatboy. 10over, I would also like to know your thoughts on why you chose the HRX over DD. Thank you!
Arsh

Postby Dorian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:07 pm

10ovr wrote:
Brf wrote:
10ovr wrote:Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio still has some new HRX Turntables for sale with ADS at less money then updating an older HRX,I just bought one and traded in the 12" 3D tone arm that came with it for the Fat Boy and I'm having them install a Mag Drive and Reference Feet( you can do later), I was on the list for a HW40 but decided to go with the HRX instead,, Just a thought https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collection ... onearm-ads

10over, what changed your mind between the 40DD and the Mag Platter/Fatboy/ HRX?

#1 You and the other guys on the forums love for the HRX :D
#2 Have wanted one sense the first time I saw one
#3 Can upgrade as I want,The 40DD is what it is,,,
#4 Being that I worked on Mercedes Benz for 28 years I have a hard time buying the first year of anything till all the problems are work out,,Not to say there well be problems :D Time well tell ,,
#5 and Now I get to hunt for a rim drive :lol:
Would you trade your HRX for a 40DD ?????? :lol:

Great answer 10ovr!
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Harry » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:02 am

This is a really great discussion. I tell all who ask if you want the best table we can make, have no interest in changing arms or using your table as a sandbox to play the 40 DD is the way to go. If you enjoy playing like I do a good used HR-X or TNT or a basic Avenger is the way to go. They are all great, the 40 DD measures the best of any table we have or anyone else has ever made, but that being said I could live the rest of my life with a standard Avenger!!

Besides, as we work out all this DD stuff I'm sure at some point it will be available for mounting in all the chassis we have ever made, like we always do. More than half of the 40 DD's are spoken for already so if you have any interest i would not wait a long time.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Gary1955 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi Harry, I would love to see the direct drive motor available one day for my HR-X with magnetic drive platter, and eventually eliminate the double motor with rim-drive. First and foremost reason is to reduce or eliminate maintenance and wear of the thrust plate, bearing, and rim drive belt. The current combination is great, don't really know how much better it can get with the DD motor, but I was very impressed seeing the DD motor recently at the VPI House meeting, especially knowing that you now make it in-house. The additional reduction of noise to an already silent background and even better speed accuracy are very attractive factors. Thanks!
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby Harry » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:49 pm

This will happen in 2019 mid year.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Johnny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:57 am

Harry wrote:This will happen in 2019 mid year.

HW

Bring back the HRX with a DD motor!!
Johnny

Postby Gary1955 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:46 am

I echo the HR-X with direct drive motor and magnetic drive platter. The plinth's left side may need to be redesigned to eliminate the space for the dual motor assembly. Maybe in doing so can design space to accommodate a second tonearm.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby Johnny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am

Gary1955 wrote:I echo the HR-X with direct drive motor and magnetic drive platter. The plinth's left side may need to be redesigned to eliminate the space for the dual motor assembly. Maybe in doing so can design space to accommodate a second tonearm.

BINGO!
Johnny

Postby Harry » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:26 pm

Do you know what you get when you shrink the left side of an HR-X and make room for another arm, a direct drive Avenger!! Just kidding but everything is in the hopper for development.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Gary1955 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:28 pm

The compactness of the Avenger is great and looks phenomenal but I wanted the additional mass of the HR-X plinth and the protection to the underside of the tonearm with the larger plinth area. Plus I've always loved the HR-X appearance. The new HW-40 Direct Drive has me thinking though....
Gary1955

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner