Delete Harry's Corner ?''

Re: Delete Harry's Corner ?''

Postby Pevo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:13 am

I too miss Harry, but the pieces are coming together thanks to mreeter! Mat made some comment about him being "gone" (not sure that is the word he used) which made no sense. Then the post about the new VPI store saying it would not be the VPI house. Now the estate sale, though I was under the impression Harry did not live there, but maybe I was confused. Anyway, it appears he is moving on with his life and that is why he has been absent. Not sure why this has to be kept a secret, but that is their choice. Sure hope to see him back in the future!

As an aside, I've been going to estate sales for over 30 years. I've gotten lots of tools and stuff for the house at them, but my holy grail was an audiophile estate sale. Only went to one good one years ago, got lots of good vinyl for cheap, but the equipment wasn't what I wanted. I've also gotten LOTS of records at sales over the years, most of which just sit in their shelves (sigh). But that sale of Harry's, wow! That's what I've been dreaming of and I missed it (plus it was several hundred miles away). :cry:
Pevo

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:29 pm

mreeter wrote:I think Harry has been busy this Summer getting ready for a huge Estate Sale

https://www.estatesales.net/NJ/South-Am ... t=McIntosh

My guess is that he is going to actually retire one day. Might be the reason Matt has mentioned a "New" VPI House for Display and Demonstration, maybe the original has been sold, or will soon be on the Market.

Pure speculation on my part :)

Oh man, I wish I knew about that, it probably would have been worth the drive!
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Johnny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 pm

HW still post on AA! I guess he is letting Mat run the show in its entirety. Who knows.
Johnny

Postby thegage » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 pm

I had an email discussion with Harry a few days ago, so it's not as if he's gone from the community.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby suntea » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 am

Johnny wrote:HW still post on AA! I guess he is letting Mat run the show in its entirety. Who knows.

What is AA?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Preamp, McIntosh MC402 Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL Strata 3 woofer
suntea

Postby thegage » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:08 am

TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby 10ovr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:56 am

[quote="thegage"]AudioAsylum.

https://www.audioasylum.com/default.mpl[/quot ,,,,,,,,,,,,,O that AA,, I thought Harry quite drinking,, :lol: ,,
10ovr

Postby WntrMute » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Maybe we need to step up the quality of our questions and posts. Some of the stuff we ask is pretty mundane.
WntrMute

Postby Johnny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:03 am

WntrMute wrote:Maybe we need to step up the quality of our questions and posts. Some of the stuff we ask is pretty mundane.

......or perhaps the knowledge base built up over the years in the forum has answered most of the "general" questions most new users experience.
Johnny

Postby Harry » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Truth be told, you guys need me like a moose needs a hat rack. There are some really bright guys on here and they answer almost everything with accuracy and pleasant reportage. I'm feeling like I need to do other things like fight against $50K phono sections and $150K turntables with $32K tonearms.

I read TAS the other day and everything they were talking about cost more than a KIA Sportage, are you kidding me!! I have no problem with the companies charging whatever they want to charge but I have an issue with reviewers calling audio equipment a bargain that costs as much as a car. It may work well, it may look great, it might even sound good but it is not a bargain. A stock LT-1 2018 Vette for $56K that goes 0-60 in 3.7 seconds is a bargain, a preamp for that price is not.

We are opening up a showroom very close to the VPI factory and will be doing seminars, open houses, wine and cheese parties, etc. to let customers see and hear some really great stuff that we feel is actually worth the money. I think this will help all of us get a grip.

I have been transcribing my 1950's reel to reel 2 track Capitol, Columbia, RCA, etc. tapes to 24-192 digital so I can enjoy the music without beating the tapes to death. This is a job worthy of Job and I am not him!! Talk about using up time for a project you always wanted to do. That is another reason I have been absent, this digitizing takes time and effort but ultimately worth it if I live long enough.

More importantly it allows me to compare cartridges and phono sections with level matching to .1db accuracy so when we compare we really compare the cartridge, not the level error. All mounted on the same arm, same table, same recording level, and loaded according the manufacturers recommendations. I will have some fascinating results shortly on this but suffice it to say you will be shocked at the results.

HW
Harry
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner