"Tunable" Audio MusiKraft Denon DL-103 Phonograph Cartri

"Tunable" Audio MusiKraft Denon DL-103 Phonograph Cartri

Postby MMMC » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:58 pm

Needless to say, maybe one of the more discussed topics in our forum is phono cartridges, therefore, I thought this Positive Feedback article was very interesting, and well worth reading in particular for those not interested in breaking the bank to purchase their next, or maybe even their first MC cartridge. The cartridge discussed is the Denon DL103, 55 yrs since introduction, and still maybe the "most performance" for the "least" dollar output in our very price driven hobby. Btw, The Denon DL-103 alone, can be purchased on Amazon for a mere $229.00, which is a fantastic bargain in itself for the cartridge which set the stage for LOMC's in audio. You can't loose purchasing a Denon DL-103 if you never do the modifications.
Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in the Positive Feedback site, Denon Corp., nor the manufacturer of Audio MusiKraft products.

MMMC
PS. I forgot to mention the DL-103 is a LOMC(low output moving coil) cartridge.
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Re: "Tunable" Audio MusiKraft Denon DL-103 Phonograph Cartri

Postby mreeter » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:29 am

I have a "Modded" DL-103R that I enjoy, it sets in a Potted, Paradox Pulse Guard.

IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG (67.77 KiB) Viewed 705 times

A lotta music for the price of admission.
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby jonathanb » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:50 am

jonathanb

Postby tom collins » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:51 pm

I left a reply on that thread and facebook.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby MMMC » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42 pm

jonathanb wrote:Here's Harry's take:
http://www.vpiindustries.com/single-pos ... aft-DL-103

jonathanb,

Harry's take on this product is absolutely more than very worthwhile. Harry's insights on the cartridges that retail below the $1000 price is always worth knowing.
The Positive Feedback review however, is worthy reading because it also explores the additional voicing dimensions of the Audio MusiKraft caseing that can be brought into playback by selecting the various encasing metals, use of the different wood panels, and the use of the different tensioning screws. All together, a very in depth exploration of tuning possibilities for those willing to take the time to explore. The Denon DL-103 was the first LOMC cartridge I used many, many, years ago with my first VPI table, the original Aries Scout, and I still have a Denon DL-103D tucked away that I will very likely never sell. That said, I still feel that even without the Audio MusiKraft package, the Denon DL-103D has a lot to offer anyone, and at the Amazon everyday selling price of $229.00, is one of the greatest values in audio, and I am considering the Audio MusiKraft as a great way to go for a second armwand cartridge. YMMV.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Return to General Audio