Audio Quest Niagra 5000 power conditioner

Audio Quest Niagra 5000 power conditioner

Postby jmcox » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Do any of you guys have an opinion on the Audio Quest Niagra 5000 power conditioner ?
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova Gold .25, VAS .30 MONO/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables, Furman Reference 15i
jmcox

Re: Audio Quest Niagra 5000 power conditioner

Postby jmcox » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:32 pm

. . .vs Furman or PS Audio?
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova Gold .25, VAS .30 MONO/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables, Furman Reference 15i
jmcox

Postby Dorian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 pm

I love my 1000. Posted about it here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9897

Haven’t tried the 5000.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby jmcox » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:04 am

Wound up ordering a Furman Reference 15i. Sounds like it will be a nicely made piece of equipment !
jmcox

Postby gene9p » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 am

jmcox wrote:Wound up ordering a Furman Reference 15i. Sounds like it will be a nicely made piece of equipment !

I have one....I trust it with all my gear.... :D
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby jmcox » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 am

Hi gene9p -

How's the sound - any audible impact ? Did you find any beneficial influence with respect to plugging your amp into the "high power/low impedence" outlets ?
jmcox

Postby gene9p » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:26 am

I cannot say that I heard any differences in sound. I always had a good line conditioner, panamax b4, so that's difficult to answer. I have had no issues with noise with either ss gear or tube gear. Everything is dead quiet. Well until I add added an MC cartridge and the increase in gain gave some background hum on my Manley Chinook when no lp is spinning. That's a work in progress but nothing the Furman can do about that. I guess I am spoiled by having high end gear with conditioners for quite a few years but if you never had one you might pick up a difference in sound that has long escaped me. I do trust it with some very expensive gear and their customer service was great when I upgraded my Panamax to the Furman a couple of years ago. They had a trade in going on and they even let me keep the Panamax which I still use on a smaller system.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby jmcox » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you for the comments.
jmcox

Postby Bill Stevenson » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:18 pm

I think the need for a power conditioner depends on where you live and the condition of your power. I live in South Florida where AC is a necessity for all but the most hard bitten swamp dwellers and the power fluctuates quite a bit. I bought a PS Audio P10 a couple of years ago and my cj electronics are far happier. The amp is optimally biased at all times without me having to fiddle with it nearly as often as before. Once every 6 months vs. every few weeks. The sound is more open, free flowing, somehow the system just breathes easier. This is particularly noticeable playing vinyl. Also, the amp seems to run cooler, based on fans that don't kick in the way they used to. While I have not compared the Niagra to the PS Audio, my expectation is that they would both provide similar benefits. Frankly I would not be without power conditioning now that I have experienced the benefits.
Bill Stevenson

Postby Redsfan2144 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Has anyone been able to compare a Niagara 5000 vs a Furman Reference 20i? I currently have a Niagara 5000 on demo right now and am absolutely blown away by the difference it has made in my system. I had no idea my power was that bad? I have a dedicated 20 amp line and have tried no conditioner as well as an isolation transformer. Both of those scenario's resulted in similar sound but with some edginess and dampened highs. With the Niagara 5000, the sound changed drastically for the better. I just am more curious if the Furman Ref 20i may sit somewhere in between the performance of the Niagara 5000 and 7000 models. I highly doubt the Furman can be better than the 7000 at half the price, so I don't expect that!
VPI Prime Signature/Sound-Smith Nautilus/ADS/Gimbal Arm
Manley Steelhead
Manley Snapper Monoblocks
Merlin Music VSM BME w/Master BAM & RCs
Cardas Clear Light Interconnects & Speaker Cable, Clear Beyond Power Cables
Redsfan2144

Next

Return to General Audio