new VPI classic 3 having problems

new VPI classic 3 having problems

Postby kesizewi » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:25 am

Hi,

Just got my new classic 3 with a soundsmith zephyr mkII. The dealer installed the cart for me and calibrated everything for me. Im getting a lot of simbalance from anything I play as well as considerable rumble at higher volumes. I played with the VTA and removing the center weight and nothing seems to help. Some records are worse than others and the higher the volume the worse both problems get. Any suggestions ?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
http://bit.ly/2p3Aw8q
Custom animation studio

Thanks
kesizewi

Re: new VPI classic 3 having problems

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:08 am

You have two choices, realign the cartridge yourself, or take the table back to your dealer and have them check the cartridge alignment and perform a listening test at the shop with you present. Take your own albums.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 pm

I would learn how to set up your cartridge yourself. It’s a learning curve, but worth it
Johnny

Postby Dorian » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Johnny wrote:I would learn how to set up your cartridge yourself. It’s a learning curve, but worth it

Agreed!
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Stringreen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 am

setting a turntable isn't that hard, but it takes lots of patience/time that many dealers are not willing to devote to your project....even though they charge you for it. There is the initial setup which takes a couple of hours to do correctly, then there are always little adjustments to make, as you check and recheck your work. It may take a week or more of travail...... to reveal the truth.
Stringreen

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 am

Op, Take a look at the Prime set up video on the VPI website. It will make things a lot easier. (All VPI models follow basically the same set up procedure.) Pause and replay the video at each step so that you are sure you understand it. In addition, read the manual several times very carefully. The manual is not always a model of clarity, but it does correctly lay out the set up steps in the proper sequence. Do this before you start your set up. Then do it again during the course of the set up. Go about the process slowly and patiently. I took a break after completing each step.

I bought my first table from a dealer who set it up incorrectly. It took me about three hours (minus periodic breaks) to set it up correctly. There was a vast improvement in sound.

However, before you go through the set up process, I would suggest that you check the gain and resistance settings on your phono pre to confirm that they are correct for your new cartridge, based on the cartridge manufacturer’s recommendations. Some of the problems you report could be attributable to improper phono preamp settings. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Return to General Audio