Lyra Delos Phono Cartridge

Re: Lyra Delos Phono Cartridge

Postby Dorian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:The Lyra was the first time I’d been moved enough to record the cut and share it with close friends and family. She’s been gone for a long time, but the Lyra brought her back, at least in song.

Really, for some of us records are a gateway to good times from the past. My favorite decades are 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s.

Well said. Glad you have that to remind you of her.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby seamonster » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Thank you for that wonderful response. A great memorial you can access at will!
seamonster

Postby Cjaylundgren » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:53 pm

I just had a Delos installed on my VPI Ares/JMW Arm setup (original Ares from 2000).
I’m guessing the installation isn’t quite right because it sounds terrible, I can’t even get through an entire LP side before I have to kill it! This is feeding an all CJ tube setup (premier 12/15/16LS MK II) with C-1 cap upgrades, driving Maggie 3.7’s. No matter how hard I try, I can’t stop the arm/cartridge from drifting to the right when trying to cue up the opening track of a record, it always drifts right and falls off the record. I’ve tried adjusting the azimuth ring on the bottom of the arm, no luck. Any suggestions? I’ve also noticed that the low output (0.6mV) barely drives the CJ Premier 15, I need to crank the preamp up towards the top of the volume range to get a reasonable listening level. I’m considering trying to exchange the Delos for the SoundSmith/VPI MK III (2.4mV). My previous cartridge was an old BenzMicro H2O which sounded great and drove the CJ 15 with no problem. Clearly, I should have researched the output issue more closely. Also, I still need to fine the loading but not sure that will make much difference??.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Cjaylundgren

Postby Brf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:10 am

Cjaylundgren wrote:I just had a Delos installed on my VPI Ares/JMW Arm setup (original Ares from 2000).
I’m guessing the installation isn’t quite right because it sounds terrible, I can’t even get through an entire LP side before I have to kill it! This is feeding an all CJ tube setup (premier 12/15/16LS MK II) with C-1 cap upgrades, driving Maggie 3.7’s. No matter how hard I try, I can’t stop the arm/cartridge from drifting to the right when trying to cue up the opening track of a record, it always drifts right and falls off the record. I’ve tried adjusting the azimuth ring on the bottom of the arm, no luck. Any suggestions? I’ve also noticed that the low output (0.6mV) barely drives the CJ Premier 15, I need to crank the preamp up towards the top of the volume range to get a reasonable listening level. I’m considering trying to exchange the Delos for the SoundSmith/VPI MK III (2.4mV). My previous cartridge was an old BenzMicro H2O which sounded great and drove the CJ 15 with no problem. Clearly, I should have researched the output issue more closely. Also, I still need to fine the loading but not sure that will make much difference??.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

If the arm is swinging to the right, you have too much anti-skate. This is most likely due to the tonearm's lemo connector wire being improperly dressed. Remove the lemo connector and gently twist the connector to relieve some of the wire tension that is causing the arm to swing right. In addition, make sure that your table is level.

You phono stage plus preamp have approximately 68db of total gain available. The Delos output is 0.6mv and your amplifier's input sensitivity is rated at 0.9v, therefore. you will need approximately 64db of gain from your front end to drive your amplifier to its maximum output. You are pushing the limit on your front end, but as long a surface noise and hiss is not an issue, your phone+pre have enough power to drive your amplifier to full power.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Cjaylundgren » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks Brf, I appreciate your input; your logic makes sense to me. I do know that the arm setup definitely needs tweaking. The low output is more of an issue for me. At this point, I’m investigating higher output cartridges that would be a better match for my system. I’ll report back what I finally end up with.
Again, thanks for the input and quick response.
Cjaylundgren

Postby VinBob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:48 am

My Delos is on it's way back from Japan after 16 weeks!!! - I am now contemplating a swap with a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star as I don't think I could handle the wait time if I had to go through an inspection or servicing again - anyone have any experience with the two cartridges to recommend?

I believe the Soundsmith would mate better with the VPI Prime tonearm from a compliance standpoint as well as being quicker to maintain and cheaper in the future. But I wonder what I would be giving up by not sticking with the Delos...? :? Also, is it correct to assume that the Delos cartridge design makes for an easier cartridge to setup?

Any thoughts/recommendations/advice would be appreciated as I need to make a decision soon...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby bgad » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:31 am

I have no experience with the Delos but I just installed my new SS Zephyr Star and it is amazing!! Admittedly, my prior cartridge (Sigma Genesis 2000) wasn't in the same class as the Star.
It was very easy to do the basic setup and I am in the process of trying to dial in the VTA and azimuth. It seems to be very forgiving, in that there appears to be a large range of VTA over which it changes very little.
HW-19 IV, VPI ADS, 1st Gen JMW Memorial, SS Zephyr Star, ML-25S, ML-26S, ML-38S, Classe CA-D200, B&W 804
bgad

Postby 10ovr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:32 am

VinBob wrote:My Delos is on it's way back from Japan after 16 weeks!!! - I am now contemplating a swap with a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star as I don't think I could handle the wait time if I had to go through an inspection or servicing again - anyone have any experience with the two cartridges to recommend?

I believe the Soundsmith would mate better with the VPI Prime tonearm from a compliance standpoint as well as being quicker to maintain and cheaper in the future. But I wonder what I would be giving up by not sticking with the Delos...? :? Also, is it correct to assume that the Delos cartridge design makes for an easier cartridge to setup?

Any thoughts/recommendations/advice would be appreciated as I need to make a decision soon...

Cheers,
Vin.

Get a VAS NOVA and be happy,,,,Great cart for the money,,Easy to set up,,,
10ovr

Postby Peer Gynt » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:37 am

I don’t think that the Delos, or any current Lyra would be “easier to set up.” I think that the Lyras will reward you for detailed attention to set up. Perhaps more than most.

Easier setup will come with less complex stylus profiles. The hyper ellipticals may be the best compromise for someone looking for less finicky set up.

That new VAS Nova/HW that Mr. Weisfeld has offered in Harry’s Corner is a KILLER cartridge and a bargain to boot, but you may want something with higher output.

Some of the higher level Grados, like The Reference, May float your boat too.

As technically focused people, turntable lovers may get wrapped up in details, like boron cantilevers and Shibata diamonds, but in the end, it’s about the musical experience. There are a lot of very nice cartridges out there, even at prices below $500.
Peer Gynt

Postby gene9p » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 am

well put....
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables