Lyra Delos Phono Cartridge

Lyra Delos Phono Cartridge

Postby gene9p » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:13 pm

just picked one up from Audio Classics on ebay. Excellent condition and low hours and it will be shipping shortly from upstate New York. My bid of 790 held up over the past few days. I am currently using a Soundsmith Aida on my Classic 2 with classic 3 arm. Any Lyra Delos owners want to chip in on what to expect and settings you use on phono stage. I have a Manley Chinook and you can see my gear listed below. I have dealt with Mike in the past about Mac gear and we met a few years ago at a show. Didn't realize he was the actual seller..LOL. Any responses would be appreciated.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Re: Lyra Delos Phono Cartridge

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:24 pm

I have a Delos and I run it through a Manley Steelhead at 200 ohms.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby gene9p » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:33 pm

thanks!...
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby JimTimP » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:19 pm

I have a Delos on the JMW 10 3D arm into a Zestos Andros also at about 200 ohms. Fed via home made RCA cables. Table is the Prime Signature. Setup was normal and very easy with no 'gotchas'. Headshell was leveled parallel front to back and side to side. These alignments were made with a Millennial Block and to the top of the cartridge, not the top of the headshell. Make sure your stylus is lined up correctly when setting the overhang. Any cartridge twisting will result in sibilance. I found some anti-skate was needed, but check your table.

HTH.

Jim
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby gene9p » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:37 pm

thanks...I read the VTF is fussy and that 1.75 works best. I use Audio Sensibility Phono cables and was wondering about capacitance setting. Glad to hear the agreement on 200 load. This is my first MC so my eyes and ears are wide open for any info.
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby JimTimP » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:41 pm

I think the VTF is fussy because the manufacturer says it's fussy. I do use the 1.75 G target, but as we all know, it varies some. I really can not tell you when it's off target. YMMV. My ears are what they are.

Capacitance is less of an issue with MC cartridges. Load in Ohm's more so. Kinda the opposite of MM/MI.

Time to listen to those new Zappa Dutch Courage Vol 1 and 2 I got.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:53 pm

I run mine at 1.80 grams.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby gene9p » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 am

The cartridge arrived yesterday in pristine condition from audioclassics.com. Set up was pretty simple as i read about it b4 it's arrival and thanks to all here for the info they provided. It is a little brighter and very detailed than my Aida all in a good way. The Aida worked well with my Bryston speakers but lost something when I picked up the Harbeth 7's. The Lyra brings that back. I will be doing a little tweaking but now it really sings. Using 1.75 VTF. A bit on the neg side. Raising the gain in the Chinook introduced a hum I never noticed before. I tried changing everything from cables to tubes to outlet and it's definitely coming from the Chinook. I also noticed if I move the Chinook as far as I can to the left of my rack, the extra space reduces the hum on the closest speaker on the left. I was thinking shielding, so I tried a set of shielded speakers but it stays and they were quite a bit away from rack. I then decided to reset everything back as it was with the Aida/ MM settings and there was the tiniest of hum I guess I never noticed b4.So one last thing to try b4 calling it a day , I plugged the table directly into the MM input of my Mac, there was no more hum/noise/nada. There is no MC on the Mac and Lyra plays too low without the extra gain, still very detailed but way too high on the volume. I have a Furman so noise has never been an issue.I will contact Manley this week and see what info they can provide. I do not have any noise during playback and I only notice the hum when I get close to the speaker when the LP is finished spinning,so it's really not a big deal. I do have a simple ss phono stage set up with my Rega in another room so I will mess with that later on as well. In the meantime, the Lyra sounds terrific and it's back to spinning some more music.
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby tom collins » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:04 pm

the delos has a high output for a moving coil, nearly double the norm of .3. as such, if you are going to run it with an active moving coil circuit, the tubes must be ultra quiet which usually means expensive nos. i don't use tubes, but i always preferred the sound of a step up with my delos.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby gene9p » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:35 am

I have a set of amperex 7308 green labels... I will swap them in..thanks

ughh..don't like how they sounded with the Lrya....
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Next

Return to General Audio