Klipsch and VPI cooperation

Klipsch and VPI cooperation

Postby MMMC » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:02 pm

To all you VPI owners;

Has anyone other than myself noticed the cooperative promotional effort of VPI and Klipsch speakers now posted on the VPI Industries web page? the Heritage models lineup has been a no brainer combination for me even before I purchased my first VPI turntable, the original VPI Scout. I've owned all but one model of the Klipsch Heritage speakers line up, the Heresey, Belle, Cornwall, Klipschorn, with the LaScala being the one I have not owned. I know there are a lot of horn haters in VPI Land, but I am happily on record to state that the Klipsch "Klipschorn" is one of the best speakers ever, and certainly the best I have ever owned, as well as one of the best I have ever heard when properly positioned in the listening room. If a pair of K-horns does not sound good, the first place to look would be the upstream components, because horns are not only very,very, efficient, and therefore will be a brutally honest sonic device. Of course as always YMMV.
What are some others experiences and opinions?

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Re: Klipsch and VPI cooperation

Postby Buck115 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:49 pm

I've always been a big fan of Klipsch speakers and still use my old KLF-20's in my 2-channel setup. I also use all Klipsch speakers in my 7.1 surround setup.
2 Channel: VPI The Classic | Ortofon Quintet Blue | Sunfire Symphonic Reference Preamp | B&K Reference 200.2 | Denon DCD-1650AR, DRM-800 | Sonos Connect | Klipsch KLF-20s | Monster HTS 5100 | AQ King Cobra ICs, Gibraltar Bi-wires
Buck115

Postby DeeCee » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:44 pm

I was never a major fan of Klipsch; that being said, it was the first major high end speaker (Klipschorn) I heard way back when - especially as they really showed me what could be done with *real* audio systems... the first that made me say “Wow!”

However, I always found them a bit too “in your face” for me... but they were close to matchless in regard to horn and drum reproduction and as far as reproduced live rock is concerned, I can’t see anyone not being suitably impressed by K-horns.

As with all audio on this level, it’s a matter of taste, musical preference and your sensitivity to a speakers capabilities and their faults (IMHO.) Of course YMMV.

Happy Listening!
DeeCee
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby Johnny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:25 am

Just looked at the VPI website. I can’t see any collaboration between VPI and Klipsch.
Johnny

Postby MMMC » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:04 pm

Johnny wrote:Just looked at the VPI website. I can’t see any collaboration between VPI and Klipsch.

My apologies. Not the VPI web site page but at the URL linked below.

http://www.vpiindustries.com/single-post/2018/01/04/Legendary-Klipsch-Heritage-Speakers-Inspire-New-Products-at-CES-2018

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby MMMC » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:22 am

[quote="DeeCee"]I was never a major fan of Klipsch; that being said, it was the first major high end speaker (Klipschorn) I heard way back when - especially as they really showed me what could be done with *real* audio systems... the first that made me say “Wow!”

However, I always found them a bit too “in your face” for me... but they were close to matchless in regard to horn and drum reproduction and as far as reproduced live rock is concerned, I can’t see anyone not being suitably impressed by K-horns.

As with all audio on this level, it’s a matter of taste, musical preference and your sensitivity to a speakers capabilities and their faults (IMHO.) Of course YMMV.

Happy Listening[quote="DeeCee"]

DeeCee,

As I think was mentioned, when a speaker has very high efficiency numbers, also known as "sensitivity", especially like those of the Klipsch Heritage product lineup, less than stellar amplification can sound awful and very "in your face". The Heritage speakers have very high efficiency numbers(Sensitivity), most over 100db at 1 watt at 1 meter. Most speakers cover up the flaws in a power amplifiers sonic delivery with a much less efficient (sensitivity) delivery of the sonics from an amplifier. Speaker "sensitivity" is mostly overlooked by most consumers, and many audio enthusiasts because the majority of manufacturers of speakers designed, are not very "efficient", and thus depend on high powered amplifiers to deliver the dynamics of their speakers, so the result is you are not aware of how awful most amplifiers designed with a lot of negative feedback actually sound. A high efficiency speaker does not require anywhere near 100 watts, or even 50 watts per channel to deliver the dynamics of a great recording, be it a symphony orchestra or a rock band.
With that said, of course I respect all individuals right to their preferences, but Klipsch speakers are awesome when mated with high quality amplification, as opposed to simply high powered amplification, which is as a rule what most audio vendors promote, based on the needs of the low sensitivity speakers they sell. Nelson Pass often reminds people that the first watt is the most important to the end quality of the reproduced sound. A very high efficiency speakers will relay that message.

MMMC
MMMC

Postby husafreak » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:24 am

My experience was with Klipsch Heresy speakers and while I enjoyed them for a few years I could not live with them. They were very aggressive to me and had a treble that could take your head off, LOL. So I agreed with DeeCee's post 100%. I will admit that my system was hi fi but not audiophile at the time and my tastes in music ran to very aggressive rock too. We would have big parties at my place and those Heresy's could slice through any kind of noise to deliver my music!
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Tirebiter » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:10 am

husafreak wrote:My experience was with Klipsch Heresy speakers and while I enjoyed them for a few years I could not live with them. They were very aggressive to me and had a treble that could take your head off, LOL. So I agreed with DeeCee's post 100%. I will admit that my system was hi fi but not audiophile at the time and my tastes in music ran to very aggressive rock too. We would have big parties at my place and those Heresy's could slice through any kind of noise to deliver my music!

The Klipschorns are an efficient speaker, somewhere in the range of 100db sensitivity I think, and as MMMC points out, matching them with the proper upstream equipment would be critical. While I have never owned a pair, I have lived with a pair of Avantgarde Duo Grosso (107db sensitivity) for the past 7 years and am well aware of the terror mismatches create with horns. I also think that about the only way to wrestle the beasts into submission is to bi-amp them. Use warm, low power SET tubes to power the horns and a hefty SS amp to power the the 12" drivers. Typical SS gear is often grainy so when the volume is cranked up to make the drivers work the horns would be like surgical steel piercing your eardrums.

But set up properly, which for the AG's speaker placement is also critical, they are sublime and I suppose the same holds true for Klipsch. Live recordings are especially enjoyable because the audience becomes a part of the experience. If you love detail, they can deliver in spades....however, one has to do his homework to achieve it without being brutalized.

As a point of comparison, when I first purchased my AG's, I also purchased the AG Model 5 integrated amp. The Model 5 puts out a whopping 0.5 amp to power the Duo's to ear splitting levels. Let that sink in for a moment.....

Brock
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby MMMC » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Tirebiter wrote:
husafreak wrote:My experience was with Klipsch Heresy speakers and while I enjoyed them for a few years I could not live with them. They were very aggressive to me and had a treble that could take your head off, LOL. So I agreed with DeeCee's post 100%. I will admit that my system was hi fi but not audiophile at the time and my tastes in music ran to very aggressive rock too. We would have big parties at my place and those Heresy's could slice through any kind of noise to deliver my music!

The Klipschorns are an efficient speaker, somewhere in the range of 100db sensitivity I think, and as MMMC points out, matching them with the proper upstream equipment would be critical. While I have never owned a pair, I have lived with a pair of Avantgarde Duo Grosso (107db sensitivity) for the past 7 years and am well aware of the terror mismatches create with horns. I also think that about the only way to wrestle the beasts into submission is to bi-amp them. Use warm, low power SET tubes to power the horns and a hefty SS amp to power the the 12" drivers. Typical SS gear is often grainy so when the volume is cranked up to make the drivers work the horns would be like surgical steel piercing your eardrums.

But set up properly, which for the AG's speaker placement is also critical, they are sublime and I suppose the same holds true for Klipsch. Live recordings are especially enjoyable because the audience becomes a part of the experience. If you love detail, they can deliver in spades....however, one has to do his homework to achieve it without being brutalized.

As a point of comparison, when I first purchased my AG's, I also purchased the AG Model 5 integrated amp. The Model 5 puts out a whopping 0.5 amp to power the Duo's to ear splitting levels. Let that sink in for a moment.....

Brock

As Tirebiter(Brock) identifies very well. Don't blame the speaker, check the quality of your source of amplification. The efficiency, aka sensitivty, of the Klipschorn is 105 dB 1W / 1M . The current Heresey efficiency rating is 99 db @ 1W @ 1M, older models of the Heresey at about 96 db @ 1W @ 1 M. That type of sensitivity\efficiency will display all the warts of an amplification source loaded with negative feedback within the circuit. That is what grates your ears. Less efficient speakers will allow a power amplifier to hide it's faults.
I really hope the VPI team takes their tube integrated amp as the power source for demo-ing their turntables at the coming show with Klipsch speakers.
A low wattage tube SET(with no negative feedback) amp would be even better. Contrary to most popular belief, I know a 3.5 wpc SET amp into a pair of Klipschorns is totally awesome sonicly. If one lives "by the numbers" only, vs experience, I'm sure that sounds unbelievable, but it is a reality. The bass of the Klipshorn is a 16 inch folded design, and no other (high volume) speaker manufacturer that I know of even attempts one, so there is no lack of bass response. With a Klipschorn in particular as well as the rest of the Heritage line, high quality input, results in high quality output.

MMMC
MMMC

Postby vego99 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:32 pm

I am quite fond of the Klipsch Heritage series of speaker.. Have heard many of them and would agree they are quite sensitive to the equipment feeding them.

Have considered going the K-Horn route but have been recently and seriously forgoing the k-horns for the 2-Way Jubilees.
Instagram @plattersofspinningplastic
MainRig: McIntosh C2300, VPI Aries 3D FE #28/30, Latino ST-120, Totem Forest, W4S DAC2, Sonos Connect, VPI 16.5
vego99

Next

Return to General Audio