Adjusting VTA on the fly ?

Re: Adjusting VTA on the fly ?

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Very cool...too bad the picture is so small as I would have loved to see some details
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Golear » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Trying again. Hope this works.

IMG_1364 (2).jpg
IMG_1364 (2).jpg (353.21 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Golear

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks for the updated picture. Remote VTA - too cool!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm

This is amazing. Patent it immediately! And then make it look nicer. And I will buy one!
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Guss2 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:22 pm

Dude, that is so cool!!! It reminds me of something Dick Van Dyke made on "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". :lol:
Guss2

Postby Golear » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I must admit that I wasn't thinking about the looks - I was figuring out if the basic idea would work, and the best ways to get around issues.

I suppose I could make some aesthetic changes. If anyone would like me to make a spiffed up version for them, please send me a private message.
Golear

Postby Lewisranchmike » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:40 pm

If you have a Millenium Block, drill a hole in it and put it next to cart to have lines on front of cart to help get easier parallel.

Mike in Austin
Attachments
131645BD-52A8-499C-8176-29CB051F342E.jpeg
131645BD-52A8-499C-8176-29CB051F342E.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 364 times
VPI PRIME
VAS Nova Gold
Symposium inserts
Symposium Seque Iso
VPI Periphery Ring
Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach
ARC Ref Phono 2SE
ARC Ref 5SE
McIntosh MC252
Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby 930turbo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi guys ,

Im confuse when Im adjusting the VTA , my JMW12.7 or my KUZMA Stogi REF 313VTA , for example I make a 1 full turn clockwise or counterclockwise , I notice that when one measure the tracking force there is a decrease or increase in VTF . And when I check for Azimuth via a Fogzometer there is usually a change either there will be an increase in one of the channels output . So because of my being Obsessive compulsive behavior I tend to make this corrections when I adjust the VTA. I also read in one forum that the Azimuth , VTF and Overhang is affected by VTA changes . So sometimes I wanted to ask if adjusting the VTA on the fly is worrwhile doing because if for example you got the sound that you wanted and when you check the tracking force , azimuth , & overhang are not w/ in normal , what does one confuse audiophile supposed to do , reset it to specs and get a different sound ?

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:37 am

930, what you are experiencing is simple trigonometry and physics. One change affects all the other measurements and there is no way around that fact. A general rule is to start with everything is a neutral position, manufacture's recommended tracking force, arm parallel to the playing surface and both zenith and azimuth aligned best by sight.

1) A change in VTA will have the greatest (potential) impact on the rest of the setting, therefore, you should dial this setting first. Once set, realign the cartridge stylus using your favorite arc protractor or the VPI jig.

2) Next, play with VTF. A change in VTF will affect alignment, but in a very small way as we are talking about changes of a fraction of gram that will impact the cartridge suspension thus either elongating or shorten your alignment. Once set, readdress your alignment.

3) The last parameter is Azimuth. Changes to azimuth will not affect your alignment distance, therefore, I typically save this adjustment for last.

Now the obsessive tweaker will go back to step 1 and continue refine the alignment process, but sooner or later, you just need to sit back and enjoy the music
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Golear » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Just had a thought....

I've always wondered about how small changes in the height of the arm's bearing can have an impact on the sound. After all, the bottom of the groove of the LP is not really level, and an LP's thickness is not uniform, so the cartridge is moving up and down quite a bit. This variation should be far greater than the change in VTA/SRA that is caused by raising/lowering the arm's bearing.

So.... may be it's the VTF that changes most of all when going from a thin LP to a thick LP, and when one raises/lowers the arm's bearing height? So we might not be adjusting the VTA as much as we're adjusting the VTF (on the fly). May be it's a combination of VTA and VTF.

At one level, I'm curious. At another level, I'm not curious because all that matters is whether the final sound is more/less enjoyable.
Golear

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio