Adjusting VTA on the fly ?

Re: Adjusting VTA on the fly ?

Postby leftside » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Yes. A good test is to place the cart on the VTF measuring gauge. Then raise and lower the VTA and watch what happens to the VTF.

I really like these little adjustments. If I want more bass I lower the VTA (clockwise). To turn down the bass I raise the VTA (anti-clockwise). And the VTF is automatically adjusted accordingly.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3
leftside

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Golear wrote:Just had a thought....

I've always wondered about how small changes in the height of the arm's bearing can have an impact on the sound. After all, the bottom of the groove of the LP is not really level, and an LP's thickness is not uniform, so the cartridge is moving up and down quite a bit. This variation should be far greater than the change in VTA/SRA that is caused by raising/lowering the arm's bearing.

So.... may be it's the VTF that changes most of all when going from a thin LP to a thick LP, and when one raises/lowers the arm's bearing height? So we might not be adjusting the VTA as much as we're adjusting the VTF (on the fly). May be it's a combination of VTA and VTF.

At one level, I'm curious. At another level, I'm not curious because all that matters is whether the final sound is more/less enjoyable.

Record groove modulations are measured in microns and the variance between the high and low would have a negligible affect on tracking force nor the angle of the stylus tip (SRA). Also, the cartridge does not move up and down when tracking a groove, it's the stylus that moves which transfers mechanical energy up and into the cartridge coils which in turn it into electrically energy.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Waxxy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:15 pm

930turbo wrote:Hi guys ,

Im confuse when Im adjusting the VTA , my JMW12.7 or my KUZMA Stogi REF 313VTA , for example I make a 1 full turn clockwise or counterclockwise , I notice that when one measure the tracking force there is a decrease or increase in VTF . And when I check for Azimuth via a Fogzometer there is usually a change either there will be an increase in one of the channels output . So because of my being Obsessive compulsive behavior I tend to make this corrections when I adjust the VTA. I also read in one forum that the Azimuth , VTF and Overhang is affected by VTA changes . So sometimes I wanted to ask if adjusting the VTA on the fly is worrwhile doing because if for example you got the sound that you wanted and when you check the tracking force , azimuth , & overhang are not w/ in normal , what does one confuse audiophile supposed to do , reset it to specs and get a different sound ?

Or you could begin to follow Bill Firebaugh's train of thought and stop worrying about it altogether. The recent Well Tempered tonearm designs are devoid of any adjustment possibilities, including cartridge alignment! I guess getting it close, is close enough for Bill!
Waxxy

Postby Golear » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:38 pm

@Brf
I guess I didn't put my ideas down too well. Yes, the stylus moves laterally in order to make a sound. My observation about vertical movement was that warps, ripples and surface imperfections should swamp efforts to match the SRA/VTA to the angle at which the LP master was cut. The fact that it does not may mean that another mechanism may be at work. My bad for not stating that clearly.

In the real world, when the groove moves the stylus (from side to side) the stylus will want to move the groove. The return energy will be less, because of the rubbery collar at the end of the cantilever, and by the inertia of the cartridge-arm system. But this is not 100% and there is a feedback path. There will thus be some banging and skidding of the stylus in the groove. If it's too high, one will hear it as distortion and mistracking. It's a very bad idea, for example, to put a Denon 103 cartridge (very low compliance) on an SME Series III tonearm (very low effective mass). There will be exceedingly bad banging and skidding - to the point where the grooves will be damaged.

My suggestion is that since the VTF is a big factor in the onset of banging and skidding, small changes in VTF caused by raising/lowering the arm bearing may be the real mechanism for what we hear. And this might be a bigger real-world factor than setting the stylus to the exact same angle as the cutter head.

Whether the above is true or not doesn't make a big difference in practical terms. We're still going to raise the bearing height for a thick LP, and lower it for a thin LP, and find the sweet spot by ear.
Golear

Postby 930turbo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Thank you guys for your reply. I would just follow Brf's (997C4S) no.4 advise , just seat back and enjoy the music ;)
VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Previous

Return to General Audio