Adjusting VTA on the fly ?

Adjusting VTA on the fly ?

Postby MOON » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:06 am

I want to try adjusting the VTA to get the best sound. What specific changes in sound should I be looking for adjusting the vta. When changing the vta, what increments do you do, 1/2 of turn etc or more.

Could you tell me if the arm is lowered too much the sound will get _________ and if raised too much the sound will become __________

The arm looks level now.
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

Re: Adjusting VTA on the fly ?

Postby dizzio » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:29 am

GENERAL RULES AND EFFECTS:
VTA:
Raise the VTA (raise the rear of the arm) and the highs will usually get better. Too much and you will lose the bass.
Lower the VTA and the bass will get stronger. Too much and you will lose the highs.
Tracking Force:
Increasing the tracking force: will usually improve the lower mid-range and bass. Go too heavy and you will lose the highs and lose focus. The bass will become heavy and distorted.
Decreasing the tracking force will improve the highs and focus from top to bottom. Go too low and the mid-range will lean out. The bass will distort and the cartridge will mistrack.

This is from the Walker Audio site.

Best,
Diz
dizzio

Postby husafreak » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:19 am

VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 am

Setting VTA/SRA is fairly easy using what is termed a bracketed approach.

1) Set the tonearm/cartridge in a neutral position (typically parallel to the playing surface). Using a familiar record, get accustomed with the sound of the cartridge in this neutral position.

2) Turn the VTA knob 1 full turn counter clockwise (lowering the VTA). Listen to the cartridge and note any change in sound as described in dizzio’s post. Don’t rush the listening, get acquainted with the sound. Take notes.

3) Repeat step #2 by lowering the VTA another full turn and keep repeating the process until the sonic performance noticeably drops off – Mark this spot on the VTA knob.

4) Now start rising the VTA by turning the VTA knob clockwise one full turn and repeat the listen process until the sonic performance drops off.

5) What you have done is established a bracketed set of performance parameters (low and high)

6) The next step is to refine the bracketed set of parameters by repeating the above process by lowering the VTA knob ½ turn (from the high bracket point) and continue to listen more critically until a low set value is established.

7) You can continue the above using a ¼ turn etc, until the sweat spot has been identified.

The only difference in setting VTA by a highly trained ear and a less trained ear is time. Be patient and take your time. Well worth the effort.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Golear » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Also, the stylus shape may have a role in the difference you may (or may not) hear. I think elliptical profiles are more forgiving, while line contact and exotic profiles (e.g. on Lyra cartridges) are more sensitive to VTA.

My approach is to use a (home-made) ruler thingy to raise or lower the VTA so that the top of the arm is parallel to the LP surface. I do this for each LP. With practice, it takes a few seconds. My eyesight is not what it used to be, but with a small light and a magnifying glass, it's easy.

Then I sit down and listen to the LP. And then move the remote control to move the VTA up or down. Most of the time, it doesn't take more than a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn or so, and much of the time, the VTA needs to be moved up a tiny bit - so that the cartridge tips down towards the front of the turntable. On my system, it's most unlikely that the cartridge needs to be tipped upwards.

The correct VTA is likely to be pretty close to when the top of the arm is parallel to the LP surface.

I agree about listening to the bass. I did an experiment once. I played something for my neighbor (who knows nothing about hifi). I told him I had to adjust something, and changed the VTA. He immediately said, "Oh yeah, the bass is better".
Golear

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Golear wrote:. And then move the remote control to move the VTA up or down. .

What arm are using that has a remote controlled VTA?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Golear » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Brf wrote:

I made one for my Classic 3. It attaches to the knob. :D
Golear

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:15 pm

Golear wrote:
Brf wrote:

Guess I should have filed that Patent!!! :lol:
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Golear wrote:
Brf wrote:

Very nice, could you please post a picture?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Golear » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Sorry for the delay.

IMG_1364.jpg
Golear

Next

Return to General Audio