Wall cabinet project (help!)

Wall cabinet project (help!)

Postby phb » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi all,

In my house I have a room that we use only for listening to music. It is 15ftx12ft, and it is not closed (in one of the 10ft sides you have an opening to the dinning room). Although the listening conditions are not perfect, it is good enough for me. I am working on a project to have wood cabinets installed on the 15 ft wall so I can store my records, CDs, and also my equipment. The current project holds about 3000 LPs and 600 CDs.

My main concern are the place for the speakers. I currently use bookshelf speakers, but I was intending to upgrade to floorstanding ones. In the current state of the project, I have 13.5" of width and 21" of depth for each speaker on the side of the turntable and equipment (please see the image below). The width of the cabinet that holds the turntable is 42". With that, I have some questions I hope you might able to help me with! :)

1. What kind of speakers should I consider? And what kind should I definetely not use in such a setting?

2. Could I do something different in the place where I will have the speakers in order to mitigate potential distortions?

In this project I have to satisfy the aesthetic desires of my +1, so I hope you can all remain positive and not tell me there is nothing that can be done here!! :lol:

Thank you!
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-10 at 7.38.24 PM.jpeg
Project 1
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-10 at 7.38.24 PM.jpeg (183.61 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
phb

Re: Wall cabinet project (help!)

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:40 pm

You don’t mention your budget. I’m assuming it’s healthy, based on your build out. In order of preference: YG Carmel 2 (~$26k, relatively small floorstanding), Kii 3 (~$12k, stand mount/bookshelf, and very interesting), and Wilson Duette 2 (~$22k, technically stand mount, but really floorstanding). All of them are handsome. Don’t get anything that’s rear firing, since, as seems likely, you will have to place them within 2’ or 3’ from the wall behind them or close to a side wall. Instead, get sealed speakers that are not as sensitive to placement. I think these are the best, and all are well reviewed (Stereophile Class A). Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:57 pm

By the way, if you are thinking of placing your speakers inside the cabinet, which is what your plan may indicate, that is a very bad placement choice even for sealed speakers. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby phb » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Hi Rich, thank you for your replies. I wish I had all the money in the world, and a big house with a dedicated listening room for myself, but I don't. With that in mind, I have to make compromises, and right now I am trying to figure out which ones to make... Music is my life, but I am satisfied with a sub-optimal system as my listening conditions are sub-optimal. That's life...

I appreciate you mentioning sealed speakers, so now at least I know the difference between ported and sealed speakers thanks to you and the internet. However, you say that it will not be a good idea to have speakers inside the cabinets, even sealed ones, so I wonder why is that?

Given the fact I wont be able to get rid of this wall cabinet that my wife so much desires, and given the fact I also want to have my music system and records in that room, what can I do? Any ideas? The project I have attached is just an idea, and I can change it as I wish. Again, I am not looking for anything extraordinary. I currently have ELAC B5 speakers and I am probably the happiest guy on Earth when listening to them. I just listened to Tchaikovsky's 1812 with the Cincinatti Orchestra (Telac) and I love my current setup. The only thing I am afraid is that once I put them in these piece of furniture, they will sound like phone speakers. Thanks once again!
phb

Postby JimTimP » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 am

Also, I would think that placement, so close together, would make for some terrible separation and imaging.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Gary1955 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:07 am

I suggest considering a good set of bookshelf speakers to sit on your new built-in cabinet shelves instead of the floorstanding speakers. In addition to interfering with speaker imaging and soundstage previously noted by JimTimP, as the taller floor standing speakers in your cabinet show, their position right next to your turntable can add bass feedback and boomy sound artifacts. If the bookshelves need more bass, a sub-woofer (or 2) can always be added later on, and their position is not as critical/important as the main speakers. The bookshelves can be positioned and spread out for better imaging and soundstage.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby JohnCh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 am

I know someone who did something similar to this and it didn't sound very good. Obviously some speakers will work better than others in such a configuration, but I'd explore other options to maintain flexibility with speaker choice. Specifically, what if you narrowed the center bay and widened the outer bays to increase shelf storage capacity, then removed one shelf from each outer bay thereby creating a much larger opening for a bigger monitor designed to work against a wall? This would give you 26"+ of height for the speaker. The extra shelf length would offset most of storage loss from removing the two shelves, and the larger opening would give the speakers room to breath and allow sufficient distance between them to obtain good imaging.

-John
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, CIAudio PEQ1 MKII w/AC15 MKII power supply, Oppo BDP-105, ModWright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, CIAudio E200S, Magnepan 1.7i w/Mye stands, REL Strata III
JohnCh

Postby 10ovr » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Is there a reason the speakers can't be in front of the cabinets ?? You could run the speaker cables to the side walls through the base of the cabinets to your system ,Just a thought
10ovr

Postby phb » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:12 pm

10ovr wrote:Is there a reason the speakers can't be in front of the cabinets ?? You could run the speaker cables to the side walls through the base of the cabinets to your system ,Just a thought

A very big reason: WIFE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: She does not want speakers to be in front of the wall cabinet as this does not fit with the aesthetics she wants for the house... She also listens to music but could not care less if the bass will be too strong or the sound too muddy. She uses music as a way of filling the house when we have friends visiting us… not so much as an active listener like her husband.

With that in mind, I was pretty happy today when she suggested I could take the speakers out every time I wanted to do some serious listening sessions! This is a big victory for me as now I will have much more flexibility in terms of what speakers to use, and where to place them in order to optimize imaging, etc. Of course this means I will have to be moving speakers in and out of the cabinet for my listening sessions, but I am staying positive and seeing this as only a marginal effort given all the rite I go through when listening to my records (taking out my VPI cover, opening my sealed record sleeves, cleaning the records, using my anti-static gun, etc…). :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D
phb

Postby dizzio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Someone once said: A compromise is an agreement whereby both parties get what neither of them wanted. :mrgreen:
dizzio

Next

Return to General Audio