Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Postby dizzio » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi All. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Ultra Mini’s between speaker and stand. If so what are your thoughts? I am tempted to try these.

Thanks,
Diz
User avatar
dizzio
Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am

Re: Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Postby C17fxr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:52 am

Diz
My first question would be, How big are you speakers? Are they like five foot tall and weigh 125 lbs or small bookshelf speakers?
The reason I ask is you can't expect a Mazda Miata to pull a fully loaded 18 wheeler-simi.

Now for the rest of the story, I have tried what you are asking except I used the StillPoints Ultra SS.
I had heard/read that there were improvements from using these under speakers.
I had already been using these under other components with great results as reported by others on other forums.
While resetting up my system after a move to a new house I decided to give the Ultra SS a try under my speakers.
I set up the system with the cones that were supplied with my Vandersteen 3A Signatures. As stated earlier I had several of the StillPoints in my system, I was using the Ultra SS under my amps. I had decided to set up the system with all its original component offering and add the tweaks later.
Once I had the system set up and sounding correct I replaced the cones on the Vandy's with the Ultra SS.
It was a subtle improvement but noticeable. They improved the image definition and sound staging, along with tighting up the base some. I liked the results so much I left the Ultra SS in place and went searching for replacements. After that went up the chain from there replacing the footers on components. This is what I remember from about four years ago as it has been that long ago. But good news is I will be able to reaccomplish this experiment again later this year as I will be relocating later this summer.

So with all that being said I'll explain my opening guestion. Do I think I would have achaived the same results if I had used the Ultra Mini's (which I use under source components) in the same location and got the same results?
No but they do make a difference.
I think I had read somewhere StillPoints recommends starting at the speakers and working up the chain from there, don't quote me on that I could be wrong, but that's what I did.

Sorry this got so long winded but I hope it helps answer your question.

If you don't mind I will post my results here once I get my system set back up.

I also plan to experiment with the Ultra Mini's and my HW-19Mk IV, going to try them under the plinth and as footers so see what the results will be. I wil report the findings as well.

Best regards.
C17fxr
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Re: Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Postby dizzio » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks for your reply C17fxr. I am so impressed by the performance of the Stillpoints LPI that I believe a further look into the Stillpoints product line is warranted. I look forward to reading your future posts.

Regards,
Diz
User avatar
dizzio
Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am

Re: Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Postby Brf » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 pm

I used Stillpoints Mini's under my dual motor rim drive. I like the isolation they provide, but more importantly the adjustable height makes them perfect for aligning and leveling the rim drive to the platter.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3566
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Postby C17fxr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:47 pm

Diz

I to have the LPI and was amazed at the difference it made in the clarity it provided.
I compared it to a solid brass heavy weight from a Canadian manufacture (forgot the name) and the stock center clamp the came with the HW-19. I was thinking it was me hearing the differences between the clamps just because I wanted to hear something for the money I had spent. I had a few friends over for a listening session and they wanted to do a comparison, they were surprised at the amount of differece it made. But we did come to the conclusion the not all records benefited from the improvement, the sound would start leaning towards to sterile or bright and loose its emotional feel.
I have since added a carbon mat to use under the record, I still need to do a complete comparison on this to ascertain exactly what it is doing to the sound. Unfortunately all my stuff is in storage currently until I can get my house. To top that off I have some new stuff for my HW-19 Mk IV the I plan to rebuild/upgrade it with. I will get the system set up before I do the rebuild to get a handle on my new room and setup. I love this hobby.
Anyway I will keep apprised of my findings.

P.S. You didn't answer the rhetorical question. :shock:

C17fxr
C17fxr
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Re: Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Postby dizzio » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:07 am

Brf wrote:I used Stillpoints Mini's under my dual motor rim drive. I like the isolation they provide, but more importantly the adjustable height makes them perfect for aligning and leveling the rim drive to the platter.


Brf, does Stillpoints make a device that will work as a substitute for the Prime Signature feet? It looks to me that none of their devices are anywhere near tall enough to work.

Thanks
Diz
User avatar
dizzio
Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am

Re: Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Postby Brf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:17 am

dizzio wrote:
Brf wrote:I used Stillpoints Mini's under my dual motor rim drive. I like the isolation they provide, but more importantly the adjustable height makes them perfect for aligning and leveling the rim drive to the platter.


Brf, does Stillpoints make a device that will work as a substitute for the Prime Signature feet? It looks to me that none of their devices are anywhere near tall enough to work.

Thanks
Diz


I don't think that Stillpoints makes anything "short" enough to substitute for the Prime motor's feet unless you plan on propping up the Prime's main footers. In my case, I use a mag platter which requires the dual motor assembly to be higher than the standard footers (approximately 1.2").
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3566
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Postby C17fxr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:04 am

Diz,

Not sure if this idea will work for you but try to dismantle the Ultra Mini SS, inside you will find a circuit board standoff that has the StillPoints technology inside. You could get an insert adapter to make it fit the bottom of what ever you are attaching it to, the other end is threaded you could install a stainless steel screw at a footer.
This would reduce the size of the Ultra Mini SS but not sure if it will be small enough to fit you needs. You could even try it naked without the screw if your needs.

A couple of my components use these on the circuit board inside the case to reduce vibrations.

Brf:
Your idea with the adjustability along with isolation is exactly what I was thinking when I rebuild my HW-19.
The idea occurred to me when I was dismantling and packing it up for the movers.

Hope the Standoffs inside the Mini work for you.

C17fxr
C17fxr
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Re: Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Postby dizzio » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Brf wrote:I don't think that Stillpoints makes anything "short" enough to substitute for the Prime motor's feet unless you plan on propping up the Prime's main footers. In my case, I use a mag platter which requires the dual motor assembly to be higher than the standard footers (approximately 1.2").


Brf, I’m not talking about the motor feet. I’m taking about the Prime Signature’s main feet. Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. I see that you use BDR under your table. I was wondering if Stillpoints made anything that would work under the Signature.

Thanks,
Diz
User avatar
dizzio
Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am

Re: Stillpoints Ultra Mini SS

Postby Brf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 pm

dizzio wrote:
Brf wrote:I don't think that Stillpoints makes anything "short" enough to substitute for the Prime motor's feet unless you plan on propping up the Prime's main footers. In my case, I use a mag platter which requires the dual motor assembly to be higher than the standard footers (approximately 1.2").


Brf, I’m not talking about the motor feet. I’m taking about the Prime Signature’s main feet. Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. I see that you use BDR under your table. I was wondering if Stillpoints made anything that would work under the Signature.

Thanks,
Diz


Hey Diz, I no longer use BDR feet under my HRX. I now used the VPI pneumatic air suspension footers which are absolutely awesome.

Prior to the air suspension feet, i tried out the Stillpoints Ultra 5 footers in place of the stock HRX feet and they worked very well. It was a toss up between the BDR and Stillpoints but you can't go wrong with either (IMHO). I used the Ultra 5 with the optional riser base and I do not see any reason why they not work well with the Prime. (other than price).
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3566
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Next

Return to General Audio

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

x