High end speakers for heavy metal?

Re: High end speakers for heavy metal?

Postby audiom3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Marc wrote:I noticed that most of my heavier albums always sound more crowded and not as refined when I'm listening to them. Then again, that's normally how they sound through any other format I listen to them. I'd love to experience it differently where it actually singles out the double bass and displays a nice sound staging. I'll have to take a second listen to them once I get mount new cartridge and see if that makes a difference in the separation.

I was cranking up Static-X's Cannibal (green splatter vinyl) last night and was amazed that the double bass parts were tight, clean and very punchy even when up over 85dBs+. And for a 2000s Industrial/Nu Metal release, it sounded good from top to bottom on my setup. They'll never be of 'audiophile' quality but I didn't buy them for that!
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby vego99 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:28 pm

Reach out to Cory Harrison on the facebook "Just Jubilees" page and order a pair of Klipsch Jubilees from him.. Those would do the trick
Instagram @plattersofspinningplastic
MainRig: McIntosh C2300, VPI Aries 3D FE #28/30, Latino ST-120, Totem Forest, W4S DAC2, Sonos Connect, VPI 16.5
vego99

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Referbished JBL L100
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Golear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:42 pm

I'd check out any of the Genesis speakers. The circular ribbon tweeter really is very, very good. They can go loud without any cone break-up, which seems to be what you're describing. And the mid and bass drivers keep up. Prices for their big speakers are, of course, waaaay up there. I have no idea what their smaller units, like the 7 Series, go for.

I had a very old model, the IM 8300. They like to be away from the front wall. And they can't have any toe-in. Zero, Nada, Zilch. I used a string stretched between the two speakers, to make sure there's no toe-in. And the skinny is to be cautious about the older models made by the old Genesis company - the current company may not be able to support them because the drivers/software aren't available/weren't documented.

Can't help being concerned for your hearing, though!
Golear

Postby Khenegar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Go for a horn system like Klisph, JBL, altec , they take less power and will blow u out of the room. they can take it there used in sports arena and theaters. U know how loud they are!! I had the altec voice of the theater and they could really take it.
Khenegar

Postby WntrMute » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Khenegar wrote:Go for a horn system like Klisph, JBL, altec , they take less power and will blow u out of the room. they can take it there used in sports arena and theaters. U know how loud they are!! I had the altec voice of the theater and they could really take it.

While I agree with the above, you have to be careful with these high efficiency speakers. It is easy to overload the compression divers and blow them. Many have physical limiters in the way of a plastic cap under the metal cap on the back of the HF drivers as they are so sensitive to overload but people remove them in search of improved sound. Just check first. My new vintage speakers are being driven with amps way too powerful and the volume has to be kept under control less you blow yourself and the drivers out of the room. I'm working on building a set of 9 watt/channel SETs for my rig. Just a note of caution with HE speakers such as Klipsch, Altec, Heathkit etc. Just watch the volume until you realize how loud this type of speaker will play with just a few watts.
WntrMute

Postby Bloodflame666 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:20 pm

New speakers are down the road for me but they are definitely in the plans. I do enjoy my kef’s but like I said, they can be a bit harsh on the top end with certain albums. That’s my only complaint. I’ll be looking into all the above mentioned recommendations though and I appreciate all the input. I just wish these damn things had a “guitar” volume control lol. Then I’d be all set!
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Could try a pair of sub's in line,,,
10ovr

Postby madrac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 pm

I listen to a lot of metal, as well. My speakers are Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's + Rythmik E15 sub. You could also check out their tower speakers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade. Midrange on the towers is supposed to be better than the S2's, but I've not heard the towers in person. The towers are also a bit more efficient. I may get a set in a year or two (or sooner if the market keeps going up :-) ) as a retirement present to myself and move my S2's to surround duty.
madrac

Postby husafreak » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 pm

I had Klipsch Heresy and couldn’t take them especially for metal, way too in your face with those horns blowing...
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio