The problem with a great turntable...

Re: The problem with a great turntable...

Postby Pevo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Well, I see rapid consensus on the NPC being the bad guy! Not really surprising, problem is I have been spending money like crazy lately so I need to take a breather. I also have to decide which phono pre to look for, thankfully there have been many suggestions here. Does anybody dispute my thoughts on the Shelter vs. MIMC Star?
Pevo

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:53 pm

I would recommend a relatively inexpensive upgrade that can have a big effect on your table’s sound quality. Try replacing your VPI interconnects, which I found produced a thinish sound, with Audio Sensibility interconnects, which I use and which made a very noticeable improvement, or some other quality shielded interconnects. You may also want to consider switching the interconnects between your phono and line pre, which will also make a difference, but not as big. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 sub, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby husafreak » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:57 am

This thread is meandering a bit and I don't have the expertise or experience to make recommendations but I would say I found a big difference in the Classic platter equipped VPI table, my Scout 2 vs my HW-19 which had a MkIV platter. I heard a "weightier" or more solid or forceful sound with the aluminum platter. That was when I posted that my TT rig had achieved "dynamic" parity with my digital source. With the 3D arm I lost none of the solid, driving, dynamic sound I had achieved with the Scout 2 while gaining a whole other level of musicality.
It can be hard to decide where to upgrade. A scale of the relative percentages of various upgrades would be a nice tool! But maybe it would not hold true for all of us... I am easily convinced that any upgrade I make improves the sound of my TT. LOL Hopefully I am not kidding myself. But over the years some things really stand out, this arm was one of them for me.
For me the "first order improvements" were the Scout 2 (over the HW-19 Jr with MkIV platter with an inexpensive Audioquest arm), and the JMW9-3D arm.
Then the Sumiko BB cartridge over the Sumiko BP EVOIII, and the Phoenix PSU.
Then the VPI periphery ring and HRX record weight.
Then the Ortofon tonearm cable, Timbernation Maple TT support and Pro-Ject Leather It platter mat.
All improvements were noticeable to me, but I have listed them in the order that they blew my mind :)
Another way of rating these changes would be that they were all incremental and valuable, but that with the recent addition of the 3D tonearm I realized I had arrived at a very special place.
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby gene9p » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:20 am

having to re buy all your favorite cd's on LP.........at a much higher price too :D
VPI CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS, Lyra Delos MC| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre + MC-152 amp | KRELL CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1| HARBETH 7es-3 | MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables|WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Tirebiter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:19 pm

tony22 wrote:I agree. The NPC is good for digitizing but I don't think it is up to the rest of your analog chain.

+1

I recently retired my NPC in favor of an Amazon B-lab phono pre. No comparison, especially in the mid to very low bass where the B-lab provides a lot more detail and oomph...Treble range is more neutral and much less bright as compared to the NPC. Upgrading your phono pre is worthy undertaking...
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby husafreak » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 am

Ah, gene9p, I think you hit the nail on the head!
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:43 pm

Peso,
I suggest you delete your TT lamp in favor of a battery powered lamp, if it isn’t one already. Your house wiring may be letting noise into your system from the lamp wall wart. I know mine did. It’s a cheap upgrade you may have overlooked, or maybe my relatively cheap equipment is not blocking noise as it should. The noise is still there even if the lamp is off. It’s from the wall wart. And this may be one of the reasons special power cords claim they improve sound. It’s not just an amperage flow thing. IMHO
JA
Mr_Putty

Postby Pevo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 am

Mr_Putty, the photo was old, I’m not currently using the lamp. I recall reading another post here that made a similar comment, so thanks for the reminder.. I may need the lamp in a future rearrangement and will take into consideration powerline noise.
Pevo

Previous

Return to General Audio