Audio Desk bites the dust

Audio Desk bites the dust

Postby dizzio » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Sadly after cleaning approximately 600-700 records my 1st generation Audio Desk has failed, leaving a real bad taste in my mouth. Does anyone have experience with the Klaudio machine? I’m hesitant about buying the “Pro” version of the Audio Desk. They claim better parts, but I feel the original should have been better. I’m interested in hearing from Klaudio owners.

Thanks,
Diz
dizzio

Re: Audio Desk bites the dust

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:53 am

Unfortunately, the first generation Audio Desk was very problematic with unserviceable sealed parts, leaky tanks, poor construction, and plagued with motor problems. That said, Audio Desk did learn from their mistakes and the new Pro version is night and day above the fist generation. I have no experience with the KLAUDIO machines. There are many DIY Ultra-sonic cleaner that clean equally well as the commercial offerringl with the only down side being that they do not offer the convenience of the Audio Desk
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jonathanb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 am

I've a KL Audio cleaner and it has worked flawlessly for two years.
jonathanb

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:39 am

dizzio wrote:Sadly after cleaning approximately 600-700 records my 1st generation Audio Desk has failed, leaving a real bad taste in my mouth. Does anyone have experience with the Klaudio machine? I’m hesitant about buying the “Pro” version of the Audio Desk. They claim better parts, but I feel the original should have been better. I’m interested in hearing from Klaudio owners.

Thanks,
Diz

My first gen failed about 3 months out of warranty ,,I sent it in and it could not be repaired ,,The gave me a new pro for I think about 300 bucks,, So far so good with the new one,,Did you call them ?? If not call Robert Stein at 215 862 6570
10ovr

Postby YoungDave » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:36 pm

I, too, had a 1st gen Audio Desk, and its pump, if I recall correctly, seized after about 4 years regular use and a few months non-usage. I recall Robert Stein arranged a replacement with a significant discount, but my cost was certainly way above the $300 reported by another user.

I realized soon after buying the first one that the unit is essentially a sealed box "no user replaceable parts", with a goodly amount of proprietary secrecy - the manufacturer wouldn't even tell me the frequency or power of the transducers. That is not the implementation approach I would prefer, but it is so convenient and works so well that I went along and bought the replacement. I really can't tell any difference in parts or construction of the new "pro" version, but I have not looked very hard, either.
2004 HRX, heavyweight platter, 1st gen 3d arm, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Dynavector XV-1s, Manley Steelhead, DEQX
YoungDave

Postby dizzio » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:43 pm

I called Music Direct where I purchased the unit and he told me the U.S. distributor (I can’t remember who) would swap mine out for a “Pro” for $1500. I think not. I will go in a different direction.

Thanks,
Diz
Last edited by dizzio on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizzio

Postby Gary1955 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 pm

I have had the original Audio Desk Systeme for several years, ever since it came out. It has worked flawlessly for me. I recently upgraded to the Pro version a few months ago as I was concerned about long-term reliability on the original by reading some reports. The new version seems improved over the original, is quieter, faster, and dries better. I've seen the KL Audio machine in person, it looks heavy duty and well built. I question its ultrasonic power which may be excessive as I've heard from a few people who own it that when cleaning there is some black sediment remaining in the water which may be from the LP. It seems that KL had this on the market not too long Audio Desk came out with their version. The original Audio Desk took several years of testing to ensure it was safe for LP's. I'm not so sure the KL Audio is. I dealt with The Cable Company for both machines.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Postby dizzio » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:18 pm

jonathanb wrote:I've a KL Audio cleaner and it has worked flawlessly for two years.

Hello jonathanb. Have you noticed any high frequency loss with your Klaudio? I never did with my Audio Desk.

Thanks,
Diz
dizzio

Postby 10ovr » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:16 pm

dizzio wrote:I called Music Direct where I purchased the unit and he told me the U.S. distributor (I can’t remember who) would swap mine out for a “Pro” for $1500. I think not. I will go in a different direction.

Thanks,
Diz

Call Robert,Easy guy to work with,, I have to say I was pissed off when my unit stoped working ,,But thinking it over you have two chooses ,, Trade up for a few bucks or have a $3k+ boat anchor laying around ,But thats your call, :roll:
10ovr

Postby jonathanb » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:24 pm

dizzio wrote:
jonathanb wrote:I've a KL Audio cleaner and it has worked flawlessly for two years.

Hello jonathanb. Have you noticed any high frequency loss with your Klaudio? I never did with my Audio Desk.

Thanks,
Diz

Nope. None whatsoever.
jonathanb

Next

Return to General Audio