Audio Desk bites the dust

Re: Audio Desk bites the dust

Postby dizzio » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks jonathanb. I’m leaning towards the Klaudio.
dizzio

Postby Dorian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Hard to know which of these to go for, the Audio Desk Pro or the KL. I do see the KL is $1800 more though!

Or get this for $500!?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby dizzio » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Looks like I’d be out of the frying pan and into the fire with that one. At least the Klaudio has a 2 year warranty.
dizzio

Postby Packgrog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:13 am

dizzio wrote:Looks like I’d be out of the frying pan and into the fire with that one. At least the Klaudio has a 2 year warranty.

You'd have different warranties for the tank and the rotation mechanism. You'd also have more control of your cleaning process. Yes, it's a bit more involved than the Audio Desk, but it's just as effective, WAY cheaper, and there's less parts that can break. I use a DIY rotation mechanism (parts were about $100 in total) and a 60kHz ultrasonic tank that's less obnoxiously noisy in operation. My tank alone (a Sonix IV ST136H) cost more than the entire kit provided in the link above. Seems like a good deal, honestly. The CleanerVinyl (http://cleanervinyl.weebly.com/) is another option for about the same price, though I question their use of fans for their pro model, or the closeness of the records in their multi-record setup (should keep records about 1.25" apart in a 40kHz tank for optimal cleaning). I stick with just one record at a time, though, so that all the power of the transducers is on the one record.

I was actually in discussions with Dave of Record Genie (http://www.recordgenie.com/) a month or two ago, and he's started experimenting with separate tanks and rotation setups, despite having multiple Audio Desk and KLAudio machines. Since he's in the States he wasn't able to get into the beta program for the Degritter (http://degritter.com/). I don't know if he's tried the DIY setups enough to have determined a preference, but the greater control, lower cost, and greater ease of repair was clearly a selling point for him.

But hey, if you have to cash for the Audio Desk or KLAudio, they're bound to save you a lot of time when they're working. Nothing is going to beat that ease of use. You just have to be aware of the tradeoffs.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby dizzio » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Packgrog wrote:But hey, if you have to cash for the Audio Desk or KLAudio, they're bound to save you a lot of time when they're working. Nothing is going to beat that ease of use. You just have to be aware of the tradeoffs.

Thanks for your post Packgrog. It’s probably a personal thing with me but I don’t feel comfortable going the diy route. I’d have a fatter wallet though if I could get over that.

Thanks ,
Diz
dizzio

Postby leftside » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:48 pm

I second the cleaner vinyl setup. I have the pro: http://www.cleanervinyl.com/

And I combine it with one of these:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/6L-Digital-Stai ... 1481332843

For a final rinse/dry/vacuum I use an existing VPI HW-17.
leftside

Postby leftside » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:29 pm

n/m
Last edited by leftside on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leftside

Postby Dorian » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Packgrog wrote:I was actually in discussions with Dave of Record Genie (http://www.recordgenie.com/) a month or two ago, and he's started experimenting with separate tanks and rotation setups, despite having multiple Audio Desk and KLAudio machines. Since he's in the States he wasn't able to get into the beta program for the Degritter (http://degritter.com/)

Hey Packgrog, thanks for the links to the Degritter, this is the first I've heard of it. I signed up for their email notifications. Anyone know anymore about this thing? Hopefully the cost is significantly less than the Audio Desk and the KL.

EDIT: Just found this on their Facebook page:

"The retail price will be around 2500€, but in May 2018 we will launch retail version with a crowdfunding campaign where there will be limited number of machines with significant discount."

That $3,068 USD today.

I will be interested in the details of the crowd-funding campaign.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby fsonicsmith » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 am

I was on the verge of buying the AD Pro when I read somewhere that ultrasonic transducers have a limited lifespan-after 1000-1500 cycles they almost always peter out. On the one hand that many cycles may be enough for the typical consumer but on the other, why spend $3500-$4500 for a machine with such a limited lifespan? 6L US units are available for as little as $200 from China or you can pay $750 for a more robustly built unit from the US. For another $350 you can buy a well-made record spinner that easily adjusts to fit in the 6L tank and then all you need to do separately rinse and dry using a conventional RCM like the venerable VPI 16.5. My thinking is that I am happy to dispense with convenience for the sake of interchangeability. When the cheapie 6L US unit craps out, I can just inexpensively replace it. An added bonus is that one can effectively clean up to four records at a time going this route (with some arguing that 6 at a time is possible, but most would agree that 3-4 at at time is the most that should be cleaned simultaneously). Don't get me wrong, if the AD Pro or the KL were available for under $2,000, I would go for the convenient option. Something else to consider-the AD Pro and the KL are loud. Anyone who has the perceived notion that they can have their fancy looking AD Pro or KL Audio cleaning a record in their listening room as they are listening to music is going to be sadly educated. My point being that as fancy as the AD Pro or KL might look, your cleaning apparatus is most likely going to end up in some other room anyway, so the gerry-rigged look of the cheaper route is not much of a trade-off. And on top of all of the above, many report that neither of the purpose-built machines completely dry the record all of the time.
fsonicsmith

Postby leftside » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Yes Chinese 6L machine + something like Cleaner Vinyl or Vinyl Stack + VPI HW-16/HW-17 is working well for me. Still got some experimenting to do with the cleaning formulas, but simpler appears to be better.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Previous

Return to General Audio