Going Vintage

Re: Going Vintage

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:47 am

WntrMute wrote:4uf and 10.5uf.

If your existing caps are in fact paper in oil they are probably just fine. Based on appearance, I thought they looked like electrolytics. Caps are a personal thing. Experimentation is fun as long as it doesn't break the bank.

Fortunately at these sizes the world of capacitors is open to you without breaking your back on cost. I am very partial to Auricaps in crossovers. I like them over many much higher priced options. I have also found that modern Solen Caps are also pretty darn good in crossovers when you need very large values. They are an even lower priced option. That said if you have an opportunity to try Auricaps in your crossovers I think you will be very happy. :D
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Jeff-O » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:13 am

IMO, Metallized polypropylene, or, actually, any plastic cap would be a sonic downgrade in these speakers. Compression drivers are very revealing and what they reveal with plastic caps is usually not very pretty. There is a reason old technology survives.

Of course, YMMV.
Jeff-O

Postby DrumTemp » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 pm

SWEET!!
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Previous

Return to General Audio