Mono Blocks killed the power

Mono Blocks killed the power

Postby 10ovr » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:21 pm

A friend called and said he turned on his Mono Blocks and the room went dark,, Checked the breaker and it was good ??? When I got there we found that 3 rooms were out,Half the office plugs were working so I went to the next plug inline and pulled the cover, Sure enough Crap Plugs,As you can see in the picture the neutral wires (white) on the left of the pictures are now black (burnt) You can just pull them out,No resistance at all, We spent the day changing every plug and switch in the house with good plugs and switches with side screws,,He is lucky the house did not burn down,,After we finished we fired up the blocks and he said it never sounded better,, Worth checking you home,, These crap plugs are KILLERS,, ;) ImageIMG_1295 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Re: Mono Blocks killed the power

Postby 930turbo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi Tim ,

I hope you dont mind me asking what brand of Monoblocks are they , Tubes or solidstate ?

Best regard,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby 10ovr » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:12 pm

930turbo wrote:Hi Tim ,

I hope you dont mind me asking what brand of Monoblocks are they , Tubes or solidstate ?

Best regard,

Cary, Tubes
10ovr

Postby 930turbo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Tim . Good thing you were able to discover & fix the problem.

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Brf » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:11 pm

I don't understand how the mono blocks killed the power? It sounds like defective or inferior power outlets that killed the power.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby babybird » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:26 pm

I agree with BRF crappy circuits, plugs etc.

However it could be that if enough items on the same circuit were all turned on at the same time the Cary tube amps might have been the straw that broke the camels back. Given the condition of the wiring on that receptacle I would also be worried about the entire electrical wiring system. Clearly there had to be some huge resistance in play to heat up a circuit, receptacle and wiring to this extent.

On our existing old house in the historic area of our town many years ago we gutted our basement and ran all new electrical wiring 12/3 romex for the entire house. The audio video gear however has 4 dedicated circuits, all with PS Audio Power Ports. Three of the circuits have 8 AWG wiring for the amps and subwoofers, while the source gear as 10 AWG romex wiring. Overkill, you bet it is but this is something I never have to worry about. All of the dedicated A/V circuits are wired "In Phase" also.

If it were me I would have an electrician look at this house wiring. Hope this helps.
babybird

Postby rif » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Help me out here, I really am confused.

If none of the breakers tripped, and a single outlet went faulty, that shouldn't have cut the electricity to the lights (or anything else). These things are wired in parallel, not series right?

On the plus side, yes your friend was very lucky no fire was started. And it was a very good idea to inspect the others. If it were me, I'd pay a licensed electrician a few $ to check it out.
rif

Postby MikeS » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:43 pm

The mono blocks didn’t cause anything. I’m a electrical contractor and see this problem all the time.The wires are pushed into the back of the outlet and are only held in place by a pressure connection. Over time the wire gets hot and then cools by the amount of current on the circuit causing the connection to become loose. Then the wire has a bad connection and arcs till it no longer makes the circuit. The weekest point in and electrical circuit is at the point of a connection .
MikeS

Postby rif » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:46 pm

MikeS wrote:The mono blocks didn’t cause anything. I’m a electrical contractor and see this problem all the time.The wires are pushed into the back of the outlet and are only held in place by a pressure connection. Over time the wire gets hot and then cools by the amount of current on the circuit causing the connection to become loose. Then the wire has a bad connection and arcs till it no longer makes the circuit. The weekest point in and electrical circuit is at the point of a connection .

Is this what arc fault interrupters in the breaker box prevent?
rif

Postby 10ovr » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:48 pm

LOL ..Maybe I should reword my post,, Power went out after turning on the Mono Blocks :D
10ovr

Next

Return to General Audio